Top Shot

44 AMP

Staff
Just got done watching the new season beginner. 3 classic guns, Sharps falling block, 1911A1 .45 and S&W M29 .44 Mag (8 3/8").

Interesting challenges. Your thoughts?

Auto426

Top Shot Season 2

So, it appears very little has changed from last season. It's still Survivor with guns, which means being the best shooter doesn't guarantee you are going to win.

I do like that they choose weapons with a little more "personality". The Sharps falling block, the Colt 1991 for the first team competition, and Colt Gold Cup Trophy for "voting", and the S&W Model 29 for the elimination made it much more interesting for me than the plain jane Beretta 92's from last season.

sixgun67

In the elimination round, they mentioned 8 targets. Isn't the M29 a six shot only? Regardless, I was glad to see the M29.

And, yes, the politics have started within the first half hour of the first episode.

I also was glad to see the 1911 in the show. Last year they used the Beretta for the whole season, maybe they will use the 1911 this year for the whole season.
sixgun

motorhead0922

maggie600.png

I don't see how you can say politics keep the top shooter from winning. If you win every match and every elimination round, you will win. You don't get voted off, if you get voted, you have a chance to perform, if you win, you stay. How does that involve pollitics???
Thank about what you are saying, before you say it.

Didi you look at the bios, on their website, every person has some sort of title. I live 5 miles from Eric, the cowboy from webster, fl. I guess I will root for him. Allthough the Asian chick looks good.:cool:

44 AMP

Staff
Haven't looked at anything except what they show on the TV. Might not. I want to learn a bout them, and judge them just on what they do on my TV screen.

They seemed pretty cocky, and it took me a little bit to realize that these people are not just shooters, they are competitive shooters, something I'm not much of. I have enough to do just competing against my own self when shooting.

I did wonder about the first shoot, all those top shooters, and only ONE hit the bull with the Sharps.

Then I realized that they were shooting "cold". Totally unfamiliar gun, no practice to see how it shot, or even if the sights were "on". I did notice that they didn't show any of the shooters taking advantage of the set trigger on the Sharps. So I'm wondering if any of them even knew about it, and if they did, choose not to use it, or if they just didn't show them setting the trigger in the final edited version.

Also, team dynamics came out real early, for the losing team, and I expect it to only get worse.

44 AMP

Staff
8 targets for the .44mag. SO? The targets were moving at the shooter, and he only had a short time to shoot before they fell off their tracks. 8 targets gives the shooter extra chances, but also increases the confusion factor, as they were running at different speeds.

The game was shooter with the most hits wins. 6 is perfect. 8 targets just means more chances to get 6. And the winner got 5, the loser 3.

Did anyone notice that all the practice was done SA (or all that they showed), Davis demonstrated DA, and at the challenge they used both?

Auto426

I did notice that one of the shooters only shot the 29 in single action. The other shooter started off with single action, but then seemed to get comfortable with the gun and switched to double action. However, he was firing at about the same rate as the guy shooting single action, since he seemed to pull the trigger slowly and would pause just before the hammer dropped.

Frankly, in that situation, I would probably switch to single action as well. Precision mattered slightly more than speed in that challenge, and I'm much more confident in my ability to hit the target in single action that I am in double action.

raimius

I like how they mentioned that when you put people on a clock, even easy shots get hard!

The historical flavor was a good addition, in my opinion. Civil war, 1911, a little history on the "Dirty Harry" bit. (I guess my history major is showing! :D)

Buzzcook

Over all I liked the challenges.

It would have been nice if they had done an over head shot of the pool ball challenge so that we could see what kind of angles they had to shoot.

Kind of surprised at the number of misses in that challenge.

The elimination challenge looks like it'd be fun to do. An N-frame with an 8 3/4" barrel has to be one of the best static target pistols. Not sure how that translates to moving targets.

I hope the challenges stay like this, just with more tannerite.:D

iirc, it was a paper cartridge Sharps that Berdan's Sharpshooters used when they were first formed.

personally I could have done much better than "most" in that 1st challenge... but I'd have probably been in that bottom 4 group on the 2nd challenge... my 1911 skills are more in the soft ball range, than pool ball as far as target accuracy... but as a guy who loves to shoot magnum revolvers, I might have been able to redeam myself with the 44 magnum...

I was disapointed that my cousin ( a LEO from IL ) didn't make the final cut... I think he was one of the 50 finalist that went to CA for try outs... that would have made watching even more interesting... sounds like if you couldn't pick a fight with 3 people while you were out there, you didn't get in... ( gotta have that drama for the reality TV buffs I guess )

the guy that pulled the muscle in his leg is likely in for a short stay on the show, if his physical level is not up the next couple challenges... would really suck to get out early, & be sequestered until the end of the show ( I think it takes like just over 3 weeks to shoot the show )

sounds like next week is maybe paint ball & the Thompson MG... should be interesting...

OleCodger

Curses.......I forgot to set the DVR...........oh well, won't miss the rest of them. This gettin' old and senile isn't what it's cracked up to be!

I think it usually runs 4-5 times through out the week, before the next show airs... check your guide... you should be OK... you'll just be on the back side of the discussions...

BTW... $2,000.00 Bass Pro Shops gift cards for the winner of each elimination challenge... the young kid from last years show could have about $10,000.00 in cards if they did it last year... bet someone's going to be well "outfitted" this year, if we get any with multiple wins in the elimination rounds

Last edited:

DaleA

Curses.......I forgot to set the DVR...........oh well, won't miss the rest of them. This gettin' old and senile isn't what it's cracked up to be!

Yup. Me too. Maybe they'll show it again.

P.S. Don't worry about the senility. It isn't serious until you start to forget things and repeat yourself.

DaleA

Yup. Me too....Maybe they'll show it again.

P.S. Don't worry about the senility. It isn't serious until you start to forget things and repeat yourself.