This is why you want a steel pistol

NJgunowner

I dislike plastic guns a lot, and even I find this a pretty silly discussion. Anything with a enough force to break that gun would have ruined a steel one more than likely.

BGutzman

My point wasnt to pick on poly.... I do own have and enjoy poly but like anything else it isnt perfect at times... Maybe a steel pistol would have failed under similar conditions.. I dont know and dont have a way to measure it. I do know how steel feels in my hand and poly just doesnt inspire the same feeling even in the poly pistols I own and enjoy.

Whatever your mileage on this enjoy what you will..

Last edited:

KyJim

I don't understand all the fuss. A little superglue on the plastic and it's like new. Can't do that with your standard forged steel frame. :D

In all seriousness, a freak occurrence or two hardly condemns all polymer pistols. What I don't understand are those people who believe it must all be a fake because polymer pistols (or maybe just HK polymers) set the moon and the stars. Heck, there's another recent story about some frame and slide failures in Colt railed 1911s acquired for testing by the Marines who still contracted with Colt for the pistols. Irrational denials won't change the facts.

teeroux

Do you guys think that if it had been a non-polymer gun that it might have cracked, chipped, or broke his hip? If he landed hard enough to do that to a poly he might have done series damage with a steel pistol.

I think that since he was riding an ATV it probably had a gear rack. I bet he took a tumble on the ATV the pistols grip was wedged between the rack and body and snapped the grip off of the pistol.

I wonder if the agent was overweight?

Not to say they don't exist but I ain't never run into one that was. Their agents as far as I've seen all maintain a balanced level of fitness. I only work with a few hear or there though.

HKGuns

Oh for pity sake. Like I am going to make a buying decision based on this example whether true or not. This is old news, has been posted before, nice to see everyone is taking the bait.

I own and will contInue to own polymer and steel pistols. Variety is the spice of life....I expect none of them will ever fail in this way.

Coltman 77

TunnelRat got right to the heart of the matter and nailed it with this post, IMO. ;)

Almost anything will break when subjected to enough force.

Man this picture just won't die. It's already been discussed on this forum once. Just made the rounds on the HK forums. It's been around for a few months.

I'm tired of discussing it
. No, it in no may makes me reconsider my purchase of a polymer pistol, and I even own a HK P2000. A ~ 200 lb man falling off of an atv at speed onto hard, uneven ground, using a holster system that holds the pistol out from the body further increasing the amount of impact it would take? No I really don't expect the pistol to survive that. As others have mentioned, what would have happened if it didn't break? I'd rather the gun take that force and break then something on me break. I take a lot longer to heal than it does for my armory to replace my service weapon.

TxFlyFish

elsewhere in the world, 23yo Kansas resident broke his new pen after dropping it on the hard floor at the local bank. Says he should have capped it

BGutzman

Stupid title. An accident like the one described would have rendered a steel pistol inoperable as well.

Would it? Whats you basis for that? Maybe it might have and maybe not, its possible but its not a certainty. Im sure one of our people here can opine more or less scientifically on this but steel is a significantly different material than plastic and may well handle stresses differently.

Call it a bad title or whatever so be it.... As I have said this cannot be happening very often....

Dashunde

I'd think you could easily tweak or bend the hollowed-out and skeletonized grip of any steel or alloy pistol sideways to the point it binds up the magazine.
The slide may still work, but if the mag is kinked, pinched or mis-aligned with the ramp that may be the end of it.