Thinking about .223/5.56 rifles

5.56RifleGuy

Your sight radius would be a little longer and sometimes that makes them a little easier to shoot. I guess you might get a little more velocity depending on the load you are using. I think its more of a personal preference thing though.

Crow Hunter

I don't know about IL law, but are you sure that you can legally purchase unadulterated version of the rifles that people have mentioned?

That could put a different twist on things.

If "Evil Black Rifle" features are strictly limited, but magazines aren't, I would go Mini-14.

If magazines are also limited/banned and you have access to pre-ban magazines, I would go AR-15 due to the much larger pool of pre-ban magazines.

The AK won't have any available and the Ruger pre-bans will be very rare and probably expensive.

If you have no laws restricting you, go with whatever feels best to you and makes you the most confident.

Bushmaster1313

Buy American

CIMG1023.jpg

Whoever posted about the HK-93, I've seen Century Arms versions of that, not held them. Read some pretty bad reviews about the roller system needing to be replaced right out of the box. I imagine Vector Arms' quality is much better about that. How is the accuracy on your HK-93?

First off, Do not buy a century arms hk93 clone.
I have owned a vector arms hk93 clone, and i currently own a real hk93. Mine is quite accurate. It is a bit heavier than most ar15s out there. They were very rugged and reliable, and built to last. The only real problems i have are the mag prices, and the fact that mine ding up brass. The vector arms hk93 is good quality, but if you can find a good used hk93 that is even better. The trigger isn't the best, but it will do what it is designed for. And they look cool, and not everybody has one like they do with ar15s. If you like the hk93s try and find a real H&K hk93 used at a decent price, you might have to do some looking around, but you will eventually find it. They are built to last so used ones ar still pretty nice. The nice thing about the real H&K hk93s is they go up in value if you take good care of it, which is nice if you decide you want a different gun. I sold my vector arms hk93 a few years back, and one of my friends was looking to get rid of his H&K hk93, so i bought it for $1300. So if you can afford it go for the hk. but if not go for the vector arms. Also, did you check out the wood stock and handguard for the ar15, personally i prefer my bushmaster to my hk93.

And if you plan to reload don't get a mini 14 and test fire an hk93 or clone before you buy it, because some hk93s ding up brass, and some don't. The mini 14 will ding up your brass, and throw it so far away... If you are hit with a shell ejected from a mini 14 it actually hurts.

Last edited:

HistoryJunkie

Yeah, I don't live in an area that restricts any types of weapons other than NFA. I can legally buy any "assault" style weapons, large magazines, etc, without any more difficulty than any other style of firearm. The only areas of IL that really restrict that stuff are by Chicago.

In all reality, I'll probably end up buying an AR-15 with a 20" upper. Just because mags are common and pretty cheap, and so are many other parts. It would also be more likely than other rifles to have decent accuracy. If I can find another decent option though, I'd love to consider that.

armoredman

See if you can rent/borrow a rifle similar to what you think you want, and try one out. Do you have any friends who have AR, Mini's, HK 93s, or any other rifles posted here? Don't feel you HAVE to accept an AR if it isn't what you want - I didn't ;)
I'll have to try mine side by side with one of the guys I know down here who are very heavy into the AR-15 system. They'll probably eat me alive with the heavily customized/accurized/etc., rifles they have, but it will be worth the fun of doing the shoot. Should we shoot 100 or 300 yards?:confused:
I wish you the best with whatever rifle you choose, and please get some good trigger time behind it - training if you can/want that type of stuff, if not, hey, have a blast. :)

jimdet

Thinking about 223/ 5.56

Through the years I have fired the M16, AR15, and AK47 while in Vietnam. I liked the light weight and the accuracy of the M16. I liked the fact that the AK47 seldom jammed even though it's accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. Recently a frie
nd of mine had me shoot his selective fire FN FNC. This gun wins hands down over the others. It combines the accuracy of the M16 along with the reliability of the AK47. If you get the chance to fire one don't pass it by. This is going to be my next gun for sure.

Nine the Ranger

I can't speak for AKs or ARs but I just picked up a Mini-14 and it just feels right.

I haven't shot it yet but it just feels more natural then the ARs I've held.

HistoryJunkie

I have given in

I just ordered a complete AR lower from AIM. It's a polymer lower, I'm just giving it a shot because it's cheap. Gonna order a complete upper for it and snap it together. If nothing else, I'm sure I'll warm up to it after I shoot it a few times. I'll probably learn to like the fact that it's lightweight instead of finding it irritating. We'll see I guess, I'm already committed to it. :p

Justice06RR

Welcome to the Dark side! You are on your way to building your first EBR - Evil Black Rifle :D

It will be a fun and good learning experience for sure. I'm on my 3rd build now, and the addiction continues.

DSCI0245.jpg

HistoryJunkie

Thanks

For the great photo. I wouldn't mind having 3 more firearms of any make and model :D If I like the 20" configuration that I'm setting up now, I might have to make a 16" as well to keep it company.....

ronl

I have a New Frontier Armory polymer lower on an AR "coyote gun" and the thing works great. I was going to suggest the Robinson Armament XCR as an alternative, but you have made the choice and I think you'll be happy with it. Everybody ought to have at least one AR in their cabinet anyway.

cookie5

Try an AR . Usually the people who have tried mine always end up with a smile on their faces. Colts and Brave company Ar15s are the best by far ARs you can get. I have been shooting ARs since 1973.