Thinking about .223/5.56 rifles

HistoryJunkie

I've been looking into getting a .223/5.56 semi-automatic rifle for quite some time. I'm not really very familiar with .223 rifles, so I'm hoping you guys could help me with a recommendation.

- I'm on a fairly low budget, I'd say less than $900.
- I particularly do not care for AR pattern rifles. I have handled a LOT of them at different firearms stores, and they all feel too... plastic.

With that being said, I am not familiar with any other semi-automatic weapons design in .223/5.56 being fairly accurate, which I would also appreciate.

I do not wish to put optics on said rifle any time in the near future, I like the idea of getting proficient with iron sights.

I do have some experience in shooting. I already own a .22LR Remington 597, a Mosin-Nagant. I will appreciate all your suggestions.

kilimanjaro

The Mini-14 is a great platform, and available at Big 5 outlets for $800. You can find them used for $550 and up. WalMart also carries the Mini-14, don't know the price.

You can get a dozen magazines at the gun shows for about $100, and ammo is plentiful.

I've run about 7,500 rounds through mine, it's still in top condition.

The sights are good, and the wood stock can be replaced by a lot of after-market composite stocks. Choate makes a very good setup.

Quentin2

When looking for a 5.56 caliber rifle I wouldn't discount the AR so quickly. The platform has so much to offer, nothing else compares for the price. Look at one with MOE handguards and the CTR or STR stock, the plastic is rock solid and I bet you'll come away with a new appreciation.

mohr308

HistoryJunkie

I know what you mean by the plastic feel of an AR, thats why I bought a RockRiverArms Elite Operator 2 in 5.56, I had to get the AWB model but who cares! Its a very solid rifle a little over $900 and DOES NOT have that plastic feel. Don't shy away from the AR until you handle some good ones, they are out there!

dos0711

I wasn't too sure about having and shooting an AR-15...now it's one of my favorite rifles to shoot! I have a Windham Weaponry MPC and it is a nice shooter for $799.

madcratebuilder

Get some range time with a few different AR15's that "they all feel too... plastic" well go away. Light weight, superior ergonomics and ease of modification makes the AR platform a winner.

misnomerga

That thought crossed my mind as well

When I was handling the S&W M&P Sport AR15 I kept asking the proprietor if he was sure the charging handle wasn't polymer or plastic. It sure felt that way to me. I am also in the market considering a AR. Debating the issue of want and need. Saw a Rock River AR15 being offered by a private seller for $600. It was 1o years old, if that makes a difference. The S&W is brand new, internet delivered to my door for $680 or from a local dealer for $750 walk out price. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Botswana

Get some range time with a few different AR15's that "they all feel too... plastic" well go away. Light weight, superior ergonomics and ease of modification makes the AR platform a winner.

Easy there, Tiger. Not everyone wants an AR15. Kind of like not everyone wants a Glock. Different strokes and all that.

Kind of curious about the recommendations. The OP and I have almost similar requirements, except I am looking at AR15's but can't get on the DI bandwagon. Trying to find something cheap but doesn't use DI is a tough combination.

amd6547

The AR is the natural front runner for a 5.56 rifle. Everything else available may approach the AR in some areas, but not all. They exist mainly for those with some psychological/philosophical objection to the AR. But none are superior in any way.
The objection to DI is particularly humorous....it works great.

Botswana

Yeah, not going to derail from the OP's intention, but keep in mind people are entitled to their own opinion. Not everyone will agree about DI and it's advantages/disadvantages. Anyone is entitled to find what works best for them.

A lot of hostility just because someone is not an AR15 fan. Not everyone is.

rickyrick

Direct impingement, it's the standard gas system on an AR. It's often debated that it's dirty and adding more moving parts of a piston system is better.

dos0711

To get back on topic, if you don't like the idea of an AR type rifle, The Ruger Mini-14 is the natural choice in my book. Well built and has the look and feel of a more traditional rifle if that is what your looking for.

zxcvbob

To get back on topic, if you don't like the idea of an AR type rifle, The Ruger Mini-14 is the natural choice in my book. Well built and has the look and feel of a more traditional rifle if that is what your looking for.
And the old ones have a reputation for terrible accuracy (but good reliabliity.) Ruger fixed the accuracy problem in the newer 580 and later series; I don't know if they are as accurate as an AR with a floating barrel. (Ruger does make a "target model" 14, but you can only shoot .223 ammo and not 5.56 in the target models)

Last edited:

arrtvandelay

You absolutely can't go wrong with a 581 or above series mini 14. I have had a PSA m4gery and and actually have a "real" m4 (colt 6920) on its way to my local FFL. I still prefer my mini to the ar15. I just like the more traditional rifle feel of the mini.

That said, I bought both. I love shooting both platforms. In my experience (just a few hundred rds through both a PSA m4gery and the mini), both platforms are very accurate and reliable. Actually, my only hiccup was within the first 3 rds through the mini. I had a FTF on the 3rd shot out of its stock 20rd mag. I attribute that to the gun being brand new, or the mag needed a little breakin. Regardless, both rifles have been flawless since.

If you don't want to learn or particularly like the ar15 platform, the mini 14 is your next best bet in .223/5.56.

Someone mentioned the m+m ak style rifles being available in 5.56. I haven't seen or read any thing on those, but I'd certainly be interested in one. I've had an m10-762 on my wish list for a while..,

Yung.gunr

Looks like I may be the first/only to suggest a Saiga. If you can find a stock one in the "Sporting" configuration they are ~ $300.

That's what I went with and I am very happy with it.