There’s no reason this gun should shoot ….

Japle

You make rhose .44AMP rounds from .308 brass if I remember correctly?
You can do it that way. I've made hundreds of them, but it's a major PITA. I bought 500 cases from Starline.

k_dawg

A fixed barrel along with a long sight radius is a major benefit for long distance accuracy.

I shoot revolvers better for long distance/bulls eye however.

ytame6u3.jpg

Kept this behind my door. 150rds :p
SIG Sauer 1911 XO - Custom Springfield MilSpec 1911 - Colt Gold Cup Trophy Model 1911 - Colt 70 Series 1911 - SIG Sauer P226 E2 - Browning High-Power - Walther PPQ - Glock 17 - Glock 34 - Glock 19 - Glock 21SF - Glock 22 - S&W Model 19 - H&k USP 40 - Remington Magnum 870 - Rock River AR-15 & Getting myself back in LE soon enough..Miss it.

Gaerek

"most guns are far more capable than their owners" Exactly right. And it is amazing to me how much money people will spend on gun customization in the belief that it will tighten their groups.

I'm a bit into photography. I have a few very nice shots, but for the most part, I'm not great, better than average, but a lot of people are far better than me. There's a photography forum that I used to frequent regularly, and it's amazing to me that this is the same attitude there also. If I buy the best camera's and best lenses and best gear, I can make pro level photographs!

You'd see an absolute newbie drop 10k on gear ($3k DSLR body, and another $6k on lenses, and another $1k on various other pieces of equipment) and wonder why they weren't taking great photos.

In both types of shooting (firearms, cameras) you can't shoot above your equipment. When you get skills, you may be able to shoot above your equipment, and then it makes sense to upgrade. But doing it before in the belief that it will make you better is completely false.

SPEMack618

johnnydollar said:
...because Don Pendleton armed "Mack Bolan" of the "Executioner" series with one in any number of his novels in the early-to-mid 1970's. I read the series up to number 77, or something, and I think it continued on long after I found new interests (read: girls) to waste my time on...

Indeed he did! Mack Bolan, in addition to sharing my Christian name, was a hero of mine growing up, I had a sympathetic 9th grade english teacher give me the first fifty or so books day and I was hooked. I quite reading the series in around the 300s or so, in no small part to Mack switching to a Beretta 93R. Ick.

Great looking piece, Japle. Good shooting too, better than I could do.

And that's some fine shootin' iron you got there, Bear River.

RsqVet

Nice shooting and a very cool gun.

Stevejeff man join the marines, they will teach you how to shoot and to have a little respect. Also if as you say you like to tick people off on a daily basis they will provide you a nice group of men, your DI's who will be overjoyed at the chance to oblige you.

I shoot mostly during the work week, because I have many weekdays off and the range is less crowded. What I have learned from the many distinguished gentelmen at the range I could not have learned from any book or class.
Furthermore I have developed a healthy respect for seasoned men with blued guns with wood grips and a healthy cynicism towards the tactical turtles who thought about what they were wearing to the range.

You see experiance has shown me that most of the time those guys with the blued guns are eating the centers out of targets happily at 25 or 50 yards. Not saying much other than maybe sharing a new load. Conversely the tactical turles full of bluster are doing drills from low redy with their optic equipped ar and producing shot gun scatter patterns at 25 or 50 yards.

These are not universal truths however I have observed this a good 80-90% of the time. Most shooters should ask themselves who they want to be and channel the habits and attitudes of those they seek to emulate even if
They chose to master different weapons.

mes228

Shooting

I must say those groups are outstanding. Even if shot from a pistol rest. I shoot weekly with a ex-Bullseye shooter and he is the "original dead-eye-dick".
He was a Champion shooter and even he can not come close to that. I surely can't. At 8 yards or so I could. At any, rate congratulations on your accuracy, it is quite rare.

Japle

Thanks for the kind words, but be advised: I don't claim to be able to shoot groups that small every time.

If the weather holds out, I'll hit the range tomorrow and try it at 50 yds with some slightly warmer handloads.

Japle

Just got back from the range. I shot the AutoMag at 50 yds and got 4-5" groups. Sorry, no targets to show. I pasted them and reused them for sighting in the Wichita 7mm pistol.

Shooting one-handed from the reclining "Creedmore" position is no fun. Damn gun nearly tears my thumb off every shot. I have kinda small hands and can't wrap my fingers around far enough to support the left side of the grip. When it fires, the gun twists up and to the right, slamming into the base of my thumb. I don't mind recoil at all, but actual pain takes the fun out of shooting. Ten rounds was enough for me. It's a nice gun to shoot with two hands. I had a good time blasting dirt clods on the berm from the standing position.

Still working up loads. A 180 gr JHP at 1565 fps is too light, but it's a very consistant (SD=7) and accurate load. I need to cram in more powder and get it up close to 1700. There's not much room left in the case. It's already a compressed load. The fireball is impressive!

Adding another half grain of powder to the 240 gr JHP load did almost nothing except screw up the Extreme Spread and Standard Deviation. The pressure's still pretty low. I'll try another half grain.

spacecoast

3kgt2nv

I'm confused... your target is NOT a standard 50 yard Bullseye target, it looks to be reduced to a shorter yardage. Also, a standard 50 yard target only has the 8, 9, 10 and x rings in black.

Are you sure it isn't some kind of rifle target?

2012-11-02_18-47-46_717.jpg

3kgt2nv

its a 50 yrd target that is reduced for 25 yards. i still use them at 50 yards. not sure if its rifle or pistol. its a us match target for small caliber that i photocopy onto yellow paper.

mrt949

JAPLE they are shooting IHMSA AT GENEVA FL .the second saturday of the month.Just up the road from titusville r&p .If you didn't know?

Last edited: