The wisdom of Gale McMillan

Unkel Gilbey

I first registered with this forum while I was overseas on a one year unaccompanied tour to Japan. Finding this board was almost like a godsend, as it was populated by a mess of folks of diverse backgrounds - but with a common interest in firearms. I can't begin to tell you how much it meant to me to be able to interact with folks who had the same likes, dislikes, trials and tribulations and help pass the time overseas.

Then I happened upon a post where Gale had chimed in. At first I thought, "Must be some crank with an attitude - pretending to be GALE McMILLAN! of all people!" But as I started to read more and more into the posts, I began to realize that I was looking at the real deal, and I was amazed.

No, humbled. To think that a true icon in the firearms industry would even consider to take the time to sit down with common folk and discuss topics such as we were talking about at that time... I mean, didn't the guy have a business to run, barrels and rifle stocks and precision rifles to make, and here he was, patiently explaining why you should do this, or why you shouldn't do that? To me, this was amazing and humbling!

Imagine Bill Gates debating operating systems with you on a bulletin board, and this is the correlation I draw.

So, I know I can speak for more than a few to you when I say that I truly have been blessed to have been able to share ideas, thoughts and words with someone with the stature of Gale McMillan. Thanks for reposting his words, and thank you all for giving me this opportunity to touch greatness.

Unkel Gilbey

Quartus

Imagine Bill Gates debating operating systems with you on a bulletin board

I find that an insulting comparison. Gale's work is superb, his character is above reproach, and he doesn't need to use illegal tactics to crush competitors who have superior products.

Quartus

An American would look at it and say that the easiest way to do it would place a toggle between point A and point B. A German would look at it and see that by connecting a toggal from a to c and another from C to B it would reduce the stress on point D and be more German.

Wow. I've known that for years, but could never put my finger quite on it. Here a master has put it into words.

You can even see the same thing with cars. Ford does it one way, Chevy another, and Chrysler another way yet. Each has its own engineering 'culture' that is differnent and gets passed down over the years.

TPAW

So, whats the consensus, break in or no break in?
I wish I could start one of those question poles, but I don't know how. Perhaps one of you guys can. It would be very interesting to see how many do, and how many don't break in their barrels.

ZeroJunk

This topic comes up from time to time and invariably somebody will pull up an old McMillan post.And most will ridicule anybody that disagrees.

My idiosyncracy is that I clean my barrels until I get the copper out.It's not necessarily an accuracy enhancement,but my thinking is that anything trapped underneath the copper can cause corrosion.If your barrel is easy to clean,great.If not some repetitive firing and cleaning can help.(all barrels are not McMillan BTW).

Neither I nor anybody else has anything other than opinion about what this does to accuracy.If you set out to prove what you already believe,that is the result you will get.

TPAW

All I can say is this. My son and I bought the same rifles. He broke his in according to a popular method and I didn't. The results, they shot the same, or nearly the same. We switched rifles back and forth on nemerous outings, and the patterns were nearly identical. I shot 1/2 to 1 inch groups with my rifle and his, and he did the same. My opinion, just keep them clean and use good ammo.

Charles S

Great wisdom from a great man..... I really enjoy the fact that this forum attracts some incredible experts like the late Mr. McMillan.

MikeMurf0505

Thank you GAle

I might have ruined my new rifle with all the products they try to hawk you to buy.
Now I wont.
Thank you for caring.
Michael

Loader9

Wow!!! A near 8 year old thread and the argument still rages. I think this says it best:
I think it is the height of arrogance to believe a novice can improve a barrel using a cleaning rod more than that a barrel maker can do with 30 years of experience and a * million dollars in equipment .

Oneholewonder

Wonderfully informative post with so much useful information. I never did understand why barrel break in would work and Gale does a fantastic job of stating the obvious and explaining the not so obvious. We learn from an expert that it's not simply a matter of not working when in fact certain barrel break in techniques using abrassives damage rifling, ruin accuracy and shorten barrel life! Gale makes it all seem so obvious by recounting his personal experience. This is information only a world class barrel maker with years of experience would know and he has no real reason to share it with us. In fact he could sell more barrels if he went along with the barrel break in BS many of the other manufacturers advocate. That tells me all I need to know about the character of Gale McMillan. Never met him but I wish I had.

I just bought a brand new Ruger Hawkeye in .270 caliber. I haven't fired it yet. I've never "broken in" any of my rifle barrels. I was wondering if perhaps I should give one of these "modern" break in techniques a try. Now I know better.

Many thanks Gale.

Tikirocker

A superb collection of wisdom from this obviously passionate gentleman - I count myself unfortunate to have missed crossing paths with him when he was corresponding with others.

Here is a question ... is the quality of Mcmillan barrels still the same as when he was alive? In other words is his legacy being faithfully continued in manufacturing terms? I shoot 1000 yard match and will be in the market for a new barrel in the near future so ...

Cheers, Tiki.