The use of (and hype around) +P ammunition

Revoltella

When ammunition exceeds SAAMI specifications, ammo makers expose themselves to all manner of unpleasant civil litigation, unfavorable publicity, etc. So, if you can find even a single example of a well known manufacturer loading ammo in excees of SAAMI specs, please share.

I've never seen SAMMI specs for +P+, so I'm gonna go with Winchester 9mm 127gr +P+ Rangers.

I've shot it in my Glock. No big deal. I've also shot plenty of 9mm NATO in my Glocks. It's what they were designed to shoot, and is hotter than +P. I'm not sure there's a SAMMI spec for it, either.

JohnKSa

Administrator
If Corbon admitted to selling ammo over SAAMI max allowable pressures I am surprised.
You shouldn't be. According to the person who provided the information, the ammunition in question was sold as being "plus P plus pressure" which is "code" that means the ammunition is loaded to pressures that are over SAAMI max allowable or that may, under some likely encountered circumstances, generate pressures that are over SAAMI max allowable.

Sevens

When ammunition exceeds SAAMI specifications, ammo makers expose themselves to all manner of unpleasant civil litigation, unfavorable publicity, etc. So, if you can find even a single example of a well known manufacturer loading ammo in excees of SAAMI specs, please share.
I would opine that not following an accepted (but not required) voluntary industry standard wouldn't specifically "open" anyone up to civil litigation... at least without first mentioning that anyone can unleash civil litigation at will simply by having a lawyer, some money, some time, energy and a frothing desire to sue.

However, it could be argued that Buffalo Bore does fit the mold of what you are asking for if you consider that they package some of their ammo with +P notations that according to SAAMI, do not actually exist.

I've said it before and I will reiterate...
Something like ".380 Auto+P" (marketed by Buffalo Bore) is loaded to the same official industry standard as "380 T-Rex Slayer" which is my corny way of saying that it's nonsensical or that it follows NO SUCH STANDARD as one simply doesn't exist. Thus, a .380 Auto+P marketed by Buffalo Bore (or marketed by Bubba's Discount ammo & buttcrack cream) might be both loaded to 54,500 PSI or to 23,750 PSI or anywhere in between or higher... because no industry standard exists for .380 Auto+P.

haha, *EDIT* to add that I see Cheapshooter already captured my point and did it more cleanly than I did. ;)

Gaerek

I don't buy over priced defense loads +P or not.

Please, please, please tell me you mean you still shoot loads designed for defense, just not spending the price for premium ammo?

As in, I saw Federal white box JHP .45 230gr from $22 a box. Whereas Speer Gold Dot, 230gr JHP's were about $35 a box.

If you're using target ammo (read: FMJ) you're doing it wrong, and opening yourself up for trouble because you didn't want to spend an extra $0.20 per round.