the Tiger Maple Cynergy looks nice...

Slugo

a change of pace from the darker woods and a nice contrast with all the bluing... :cool:

7579237160_7ee83815dd_b.jpg

dalecooper51

Browning shotguns would look much better as a whole if they didn't insist on ruining every single one of them with porting.

mete

I assume that gun was designed for target shooting . When the porting nonsense started , about the time sporting clays became popular, we did some serious tests.
I understood all the physics involved so I knew the outcome. But some who didn't had to be shown. A very experienced and good shooter went through a round of SCs .At each stage firing half the rounds with a ported gun and half with an unported gun .Both were Brownings , identical except for the porting.
The shooter could not feel any difference and none of us could see any difference. :eek:The point is that the shotguns use fast burning powder so ignition is complete before the shot string passes the ports .There is little hot gas exiting the ports .Therefore no reduction in recoil.
This of course is with TARGET loads. Hotter hunting loads will see a recoil reduction since there will be hot expanding gases at the ports. BTW the longer the barrel the less the benefit.
The porting fad is another fine example of the love of gadgets by Americans and their lack of knowledge of science. Learn the science of it and you won't be so quick to buy an ugly barrel with holes .:p

BigJimP

I disagree on the porting issue....I still say it reduces muzzle jump between the 1st and 2nd bird....and does nothing to reduce recoil.

But yes, a nice piece of figured maple makes a nice looking stock - and it is a little different .... but turkish walnut can give you some interesting grain patterns too - like this Browning XT 32", I've had for several years - and actually bought used ( the lower one in the photo ) ...the other XT on top is another 32" ...but it has the more standard stock on it - still nice, but not as nice as the upgraded -- more yellow - one...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38068&d=1226348855

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82013&d=1339792349

Last edited:

TheKlawMan

If you really want to do a scientific study the gun should be fired from a machine using sensors to record recoil as well as muzzle rise. One problem with having a human shoot with ported and unported guns is what is know as the placebo effect. The fact that the shooter knows if a gun is ported or not may unconsciously affect his perceptions as well as the way he approaches each shot.

Here is a simple recoil test. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPh2sS9_1wc

It shouldn't be too difficult to build something with a clamp simulating the grip on the small of the stock, but with a spring and marker, to record degrees of rotation indicating barrel lift. I would be amazed that there isn't sophisticated equipment available to gun designers.

Last edited:

mete

Do I really have to say " no significant reduction in recoil " ???
BTW many factory target loads are designed to burn all the powder within the barrel -that's why they are lower recoiling ,that's why the porting isn't needed .

BigJimP

Here are some birds eye maple ( the lighter tops ) ...some natural cherry wood bases ...and some Acacia boxes (the dark lid )...( made them this weekend ) ..... they hold salt and pepper on the kitchen counter next to the stove....( lids rotate on a steel shaft ) ... my wife asked me to make her a few this weekend..../ simple band saw boxes...

( these species of wood - would all make nice stocks too ) .....or nice gun cases...

Wood Boxes July 2012 007-1.jpg

zippy13

Zippy hates ported guns...:D
I like my ported guns, however there are some disadvantages -- like plastic build-up in the vents.
The point is that the shotguns use fast burning powder so ignition is complete before the shot string passes the ports .There is little hot gas exiting the ports .Therefore no reduction in recoil.
Have you ever shot a ported gun in dim light? I've seen significant fire jets from my ports. The additional flash, when shooting in low light, is another disadvantage of ported guns.
I still say it reduces muzzle jump between the 1st and 2nd bird....and does nothing to reduce recoil.
You can't have it both ways, my friend. If the physics reduce muzzle hop, then there's been energy diverted away from the muzzle, that diverted energy will also result in less recoil.

BigJimP

You're probably right Zippy ....yes, I do believe it reduces muzzle jump fairly significantly ...( so there might be some reduction in recoil )...but with porting near the end of the barrel, I can't feel much reduction ...

.....but then again its not like I have a way to measure the recoil on a gun without porting ...and one with porting..../ I don't have 2 identical guns with and without the porting.

But even if the reduced muzzle jump is just in my head....so be it ! :D Advertising is effective....( there is a reason Dillon puts very attractive ladies on the cover of the Blue Press catalog every month... ).....and it certainly has very little to do with reloading.../ and I admit, I'm susceptible to advertising...

BoogieMan

Interesting thread. I am so happy to see a thread thats not about Tacticool shotguns. I just bought a used Gold Fusion for my son to get him out of the youth 870. It so happens that it has a ported skeet choke screwed into it. IMO it looks pretty cool. I doubt that it could have any effect on muzzle jump or recoil. I havent shot it yet.