The pistol caliber you keep going back to

Shadow9mm

Never really gone back to a caliber. Only one I would go back to at this point is 45acp, it was fun.

Calibers I stopped shooting
380, would consider again, but handloaded
38, meh not really
38/357 would consider again, but no real desire to go back
40, nope just did not like it, give me 9 or 45

Last edited:

Drm50

I have quite a few handguns. I only go up to 44/45 caliber. Mostly because the bulk of mine are S&W revolvers. When you think about it , going back, only the 22 comes to mind. It is enjoyable to bust a box of RFs and not think about brass. Don’t get me wrong my favorite CFs are 38sp & 45 Colt. I think about pouring WCs, cleaning brass, sizing and loading vs a session with 22s. Relaxing is all I can say. During a normal week I don’t have to shoot many Grizzlies and bad guys so 22 is all I need.

Forte S+W

.40 S&W

It's a cartridge that I never thought that I would like, until I bought one on the cheap for a price that I couldn't pass up, then later I bought a 4006TSW, and now it's looking like my next gun will be an M&P40 Subcompact.

I thought that I would hate the .40 S&W cartridge after hearing so many people complain about it having snappy recoil, but upon shooting .40 S&W myself, the recoil doesn't bother me at all and I feel really confident packing a .40cal pistol.
Some folks say that 9mm can do everything a .40 can do, but I say .40 can do everything a 9mm can do, only with more muzzle energy and a larger diameter bullet.

Double K

Post #11 is great and to the poster on # 18 you just haven't shot the right lightweight 1911 in 45acp.
I'll never be without a 45acp 1911 specifically this one.

TruthTellers

Two ways to look at this question: first is the caliber I keep going back to to shoot and the second is the caliber that is my "do it all" caliber. The answer to the first question is a tie between .32 Mag/.327, .38 Special, and .45 Colt as I load and shoot all of them.

The answer to the second question is .45 Colt. Loaded hot the .45 Colt is capable of killing anything within 500 miles of me, loaded standard with proper bullets my Taurus Judge Public Defender is very easy to carry and capable of great accuracy out to 25 yards and retains its up close devastating power when using proper .410 ammo.

The ability of Ruger .45 Colt's to also shoot .45 ACP is a major plus.

jetinteriorguy

While I’ve been a .41 mag guy since the early 80’s but in the last ten years have fallen for the .357 mag. Recoil even with hot loads is much easier on the hands, about equal to medium loads in my .41, and .38’s are just plain fun. Plus .357 heavies in my lever are very useable. So .357 for the win.

ChasHam

44 mag-- in my former S&W Model 29 with the 8⅜ inch barrel.

I don't know whatever possessed me to sell it!

sparkyv

10mm. It's versitile like the 44 or 357, but with more varied and affordable platforms than just revolvers, and it's a caliber that starts with a "4". I shoot it in semi-autos and a revolver.

Kreyzhorse

Not favorite cartridge, that would be .45acp, but I have a thing for snub nose revolvers and I keep going back to the .38 special well.

Nanuk

That's because the .357mag is primarily a revolver caliber and with their high bore axis and inverted cone shaped grip, a revolver is far more difficult to shoot accurately rapidly than a semi-auto is.

You know that you can change revolver grips?

My 1911 has a higher bore axis than my L frame S&W measured from the top of my hand to bore centerline, not much but a couple mm's.

stagpanther

I have lots of different ones. I can't even explain why--but the one I enjoy the most over-all and keep coming back to is....drum roll...45 acp.:)