The pistol caliber you keep going back to

mrt949

I Have owned all22lr, 32,380,9mm, 38sp,357mag,357 max 40 sw 45 acp, 44mag
But the main stay is 357MAG Is my Do it all .

jar

25acp and the 32 family, 32S&W, 32S&W Long, 32acp.

Still enjoy most of the others but find I tend to carry 25acp and a 32 family revolver or pistol.

COSteve

While the .357mag is my favorite . . . . . . in a levergun, it's not even close as a favorite in a pistol. That's because the .357mag is primarily a revolver caliber and with their high bore axis and inverted cone shaped grip, a revolver is far more difficult to shoot accurately rapidly than a semi-auto is.

The high bore axis produces more muzzle rise torque and the inverted cone shaped grip make it much harder to resist any muzzle rise. So together, both work to produce dramatically more muzzle rise for the same recoil forces than that of a semi-auto.

My choice for my all around favorite pistol caliber is my custom G20L in 10mm. My hot 165grn 10mm handloads are larger, heavier, and produce a slightly higher velocity in my 6" Glock than my equally hot 158grn .357mag loads do in a 6" 686.

This results in significantly higher muzzle energy at impact. Further, I can easily control the muzzle rise of even my 'nuclear' level 10mm handloads while the wrist snapping recoil of my hot loads in a revolver are extremely difficult to control.

Finally, I can also load 180 or 200grn hardcast 10mm loads for larger, more dangerous game than my hottest .357mag loads can attempt.

RickB

With the shortage of small pistol primers, I'm loading and shooting more .45, which used to, not that long ago, constitute 90% of my rounds fired.

Kevin Rohrer

45acp4Grownups.jpg

rc

I'd probably settle on a 9mm as my last handgun but it's hard to disagree that a 357 revolver is a "jack of all trades".

Nathan

9mm is easy to shoot fast, IMO.

45 auto seems like a sure thing for effectiveness.

40 S&W is a nice compromise to me.

380 works well in pocket guns.

Revolvers have their nitch as do the other calibers.

If I were buying an edc today, it would be a 9mm. If a 5” gun, 40 s&w or 45 auto.

CorvZ061

My personal favorite is 44 mag, I’ve shot it more than anything else, next would be 45 acp. I’m currently bought into 357 mag pretty heavy though. In a zombie apocalypse situation I’d be going 357. I have my 360 for deep carry, my 686 for carry and my 1894 in 357 to provide for my family. It does a lot well, but not exceptional at any of it.

jr24

9mm, moved almost completely to it once my back decided I can't carry a full steel 1911 any longer (don't like .45 in lightweight guns).