The Nastiest handgun recoil handgun?

Schlitz 45

I have a 454Casull Alaskan that's the only hand gun to make my hand red & hurtin' the day after-still puts a big ol' grin on my face with every BOOM! It's cool to be able to see the flash in daylight too.
oziJ8nAl.jpg

wkNG0Pdl.jpg

7nTkETll.jpg

PDMqQ17l.jpg

Last edited:

ballisticxlr

Worst ever for me, .45-70 derringer. Just a hand breaker and noise maker. Nothing useful about it. Cracked a bone in my palm with it.

Second worst, TC Encore with .444marlin 15" barrel and 240's at max presssures. Pretty seriously injured my wrist and hyperextended my elbiebone with that one.

Third worst, TC Encore in .308win with a 15" barrel and 180gr slugs at max pressures. Even the strongest guys would struggle to not have it fly out of their hands. Felt like a full arm swing with a rubber mallet onto my palm with every shot.

I don't shoot things just to see how much they hurt to shoot anymore. In fact, now I'm a recoil sissy.

shurshot

Schlittz45, did you open up a time portal with your gun? Perhaps that's where the Alien's NBC has been reporting about came from. Your gun opened up a multidimensional portal. :D

Mike38

Back 25+ years ago there was for sale a derringer in .45 Long Colt / .410. it was complete with the exception you had to fabricate and weld on the breech face and drill a few holes in the frame (if memory serves me). I shot one once. Once. It was down right obnoxious. But, I have little to no experience with shooting any "magnum" handguns, so take my post for what it's worth. I don't handgun hunt large game, and feel shot placement is more important than the need for a magnum, so I do not own a magnum handgun, never have and probably never will.

JBB

My brother’s model 29 mountain with wood grips is easily the most unpleasantly recoiling gun I have ever fired. Couldn’t make it through a whole cylinder. Would rather have my hand smacked with a Louisville Slugger.

HistoryJunky

Ruger super blackhawk in .44 mag with a crappy grip.

Not only would the recoil hurt in the palm of the grip hand, but the 2 halves of the grip would rotate and pinch your palm, giving you blood blisters.

I finally got a nice 1 piece grip for it. So now I just have to deal with the sore hand.
I have an SBH in 44 mag and I don't find it unpleasant to shoot. I have some Pachmayr grips and a ported barrel though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

coonbait

The FIRST AND LAST TIME was 5 shots out of a S&W 460 or 500, my hand was numb for over an hour after shooting them . Also I would never shoot anything 357 and up in a alloy frame or or 44 and up in a snub nose. I enjoy shooting not pain...

drive_sideways

I had the pleasure of shooting 300 grain +P hardcasts out of a Ruger Vaquero 44 mag with a 4” barrel. Recoil was fairly stout, not the heaviest revolver that’s for sure. It wasn’t as bad as I expected though. It’s a sweet shooter regardless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Road_Clam

My 12" 460XVR packs a BRUTAL wallop on your whole upper body. I've learned to manage the recoil pretty well. it takes serious discipline. I shot a gun club buddies 4" bbl 500 S&W mag and that was even worse than my 460 , it was without a doubt pure pain and ZERO enjoyment.

My 460 :

balin

My 12 oz. 340pd is the worst I've shot. It is worse then my 25 oz. 329pd or either of my 454 Casulls.

RayVa

Polish P-64 lol.
I still have it because it's in really good shape
but man that thing so uncomfortable to shoot.
Let's put it this way, I'd rather shoot a 12ga buckshot with a steel buttplate than that thing.
P64 as pleasant as a sharp hot stick in the eye. It's my current CCW.

Prof Young

And on the other end of the spectrum . . .

When I shoot hotter loads out of my Kel Tec P3AT . . . it hurts my hand.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Shadow9mm

The most unpleasant I have ever fired, for recoil. There were 2 and it was a LONG time ago, I cannot remember which. Both were 4in barrel revolvers, both were super light type frames. 1 was 357, the other was 45acp. Both were painful to shoot.

To clarify, I have shot the Desert eagle in 50, shot a couple 44 mags on several occasions, and had a lightweight 38+p snubbie that were all more pleasant to shoot than those 2 guns.

sparkyv

I own and enjoy shooting a few big bores. Haven't shot a 454 Casull out of a light weight revolver, but the most brutal handgun I've ever shot was an M60 J-frame with magnum loads. Busted up my trigger finger. My Dad will sell me his M60 for a song; hard pass! I'll never shoot that thing again, ever.