The Nastiest handgun recoil handgun?

HiBC

I regard my 44 mag Ruger SBH a fun plinking gun.

But when I loaded up some serious,full power 454 Casull loads...to represent what the 454 Casull is capable of, and fired them a Freedom Arms revolver....

It was not painful...but as the line went "A Man's got to know his limitations"

I was hearing footsteps after thumbing the hammer

I could tell owning one would bring on a serious battle with "The Flinch"

I did not want my overall handgun shooting ability to suffer over "Bigger is better"

I decided the 44 Magnum is enough.

Those who remarked on the 380 PP, I'll agree you have a point. I own a 9x18 FEG PA 63. Its not "Brutal" . More like "annoying"

Is snappy. Re=springing with the Wolff kit helps.

Cirdan

It may only be a .380, but the the LCP doesn't weigh anything, has a small grip, and the slide spring looks like they took it from a bic pen. Nasty "muzzle flip" for a small package.

FYI - I replaced the spring with a heavier one. Tamed the recoil, but the slide wouldn't lock open. Never had a failure, but. . .

ms6852

I own two guns that to me have the most painful recoils of all the others I own. One is the 642 airweight smith and Wesson and the other is my 686+ with a 3" barrel.

stinkeypete

for me it was a .357 Maximum T/C Contender with a 10" barrel, no scope, and the factory grips which had a half-round rubber back insert and walnut sides. No scope.

First shot of full power load- the rubber insert deforms, opens up a crack, the flesh of my palm goes in, then the crack closes. OWWWW!!! I threw the thing in to the snow, it hurt so much, then held a snowball for an hour. I was not able to shoot for a week- blood blister an inch and a half long right in the middle of my hand.

That grip got put away for a shaped walnut grip and a scope was mounted. Recoil was still very harsh. It was my first T/C barrel and I endured the hand beating because the fireball was so much fun close to dusk.

As for the Ruger Vaqueros- although I prefer the Bisley grips I don't understand how anyone has a problem with them. (Although I shoot one handed (Yes, even up to .454 Casull- be the willow, not the oak), maybe a two handed grip makes a mechanical difference?)

FotoTomas

I have no idea what the worst or nastiest recoiling handgun is. I do know that my Smith&Wesson model 629 mountain gun is an absolute beast with full load magnums. I have a LOT of .44 Special and .44 Russian for when I want to play with or carry her.

Hal

Nastiest for me has been a Walther PPK/s in .380 acp.
The slide dug two furrows out of the web of my right hand & the solid backstrap & rather thin width just felt all wrong when I fired it.

2nd nastiest was a M66 S&W 2.5" barrel - round butt with rubber grips.
The fit of that gun was all wrong for me. Anything that even came close to resembling "rapid-fire" - somehow got the cylinder release buried in the web of my hand & dug a hole like some crazed miner with a pick axe.

Thankfully - I don't appear to fall victim to the dreaded "hammer bite" of the Browning HiPower. I love my BHPs...

9ballbilly

The heaviest handgun recoil I've ever experienced was from a T/C Contender with a 14" .45-70 barrel using factory 405gr. ammunition.

ejfalvo

Sorry, for me it was the Keltec P-40. I had the P-11 and thought 'no problem' for a 40SW. The P-40 was wicked and I sold it almost immediately.

KEYBEAR

My son got a Derringer in 44Mag in trade and was going to sell it . But he thought a good idea was to shoot it first . Now he is a big guy 6' 4" and 280 and has shot the 44Mags for years . He shot the Derringer at 15 yards into a barrel the first shot (and ONLY) the Derringer was gone. It was found in the grass behind him 10/12 feet . He unloaded it and the first buyer he got paid whatever he felt like .

darkgael

Recoil

“ what’s the nastiest recoil in any handgun?”
Felt recoil is so subjective that there is no straight answer that question. For reasons too numerous to mention here what is “nasty” recoil for one person may be just another pistol for some one else.
The best answer that I can give is about the nastiest recoil that I have ever felt. It was with my T/C Encore pistol....15” barrel. Cartridge was the 500 S&W shooting 600 grain bullets. I am used to recoil.. have shot my share of powerful handguns that combo hurt from shot number one. No foreplay, just “ouch”.

Last edited:

doofus47

I have a friend who once had one of those ultra light 44 mag bear revolvers for fishing in Alaska.
"Like being smacked with a 2x4" in the palm" was how he described it.

Once he gave me that description, I suppressed any memory of the make and model.

hagar

I agree with the Desert Eagle 50, first shot I took with one it recoiled back over the top of my head and almost cracked my skull open. I do own a 44 DE and recoil is mild.

I also had a T/C 30/30 with a 16 inch barrel and recoil was not that bad.

The 410 single shot pistol I used in AZ for shooting snakes also got your attention..

jimacp

Can confirm the S&W 340 is about as bad as it gets with full power .357. I also had a S&W .44 mag (model 329 I think?) in scandium that was pretty bad.

Ifishsum

Not sure the model # but my (retired) boss has a S&W ultralight something snubby in .44 mag, with maybe a 2" barrel. Feels like my hand is going to fly off my wrist LOL although not painful to shoot after I zeroed his laser sight I really had no desire to continue firing it.

5whiskey

I don’t own one and have no plans ever to change that, but even without looking I’d nominate the American Derringer M4 Alaskan Survival (chambered in .45-70) as a shoe-in for the top 10.

I have a friend with one of these. He ordered it... well because he wanted the nastiest recoiling handgun. He frequently shoots 9 and 10mm beyond almost all load data. Always seeking buffalo bore velocities. He’s a good guy but I roll my eyes at his loading ethos.

I’ve shot 500 S&W magnum a good bit and it pales in comparison to that derringer. Which obviously is giant for a derringer but still...