The 45 colt: Old but still useful?

Pathfinder45

I think the 357 magnum in the right gun has a lot going for it. I might even own one some day. But don't be fooled; the 45 Colt is a bigger hammer and more powerful. It always has been, always will be, regardless of the flawed FPE mathematics that are biased towards higher velocity. Is there any advantage to the 357 magnum? Certainly, and I can mention what I feel is perhaps a worthy consideration:

357 Magnum ammo weighs about half of what the same number of rounds in 45 Colt weigh. As a wilderness back-packer, what this means to me, is that I can either bring twice as much ammo, or simply carry the same number of rounds while reducing the load.

The higher velocity of the 357 makes for a flatter trajectory.

Since I reload and cast most of my own bullets, the difference in ammo cost is irrelevant to me, but might matter to others.

But in the true wilderness we have this code that we don't fire our weapons, don't break the solitude, without a compelling and justifiable need. That means only in an emergency, or, taking a shot at legitimate game. So I don't pack much ammo. I kind of feel like having six in the Vaquero and 12 spare rounds might be over-doing it, but that's what I bring. I still haven't popped the 45 in a designated wilderness, so maybe I am bringing too much ammo.
The pack-rod, however, always gets some action. Loaded with Rooster-Tails, of course.

TruthTellers

I think the 357 magnum in the right gun has a lot going for it. I might even own one some day. But don't be fooled; the 45 Colt is a bigger hammer and more powerful. It always has been, always will be, regardless of the flawed FPE mathematics that are biased towards higher velocity. Is there any advantage to the 357 magnum? Certainly, and I can mention what I feel is perhaps a worthy consideration:

357 Magnum ammo weighs about half of what the same number of rounds in 45 Colt weigh. As a wilderness back-packer, what this means to me, is that I can either bring twice as much ammo, or simply carry the same number of rounds while reducing the load.

The higher velocity of the 357 makes for a flatter trajectory.

Since I reload and cast most of my own bullets, the difference in ammo cost is irrelevant to me, but might matter to others.

But in the true wilderness we have this code that we don't fire our weapons, don't break the solitude, without a compelling and justifiable need. That means only in an emergency, or, taking a shot at legitimate game. So I don't pack much ammo. I kind of feel like having six in the Vaquero and 12 spare rounds might be over-doing it, but that's what I bring. I still haven't popped the 45 in a designated wilderness, so maybe I am bringing too much ammo.
The pack-rod, however, always gets some action. Loaded with Rooster-Tails, of course.
Under that line of thinking, .32 H&R/.327 Fed Magnum is every better than .357 as the trajectory stays flatter longer and the ammunition weighs even less.

After I shot the Henry .327, I finally understood why .32-20 was so popular at the turn of the 20th Century. Excellent accuracy, soft recoiling, plenty of power for medium size game at the right distance.

Pathfinder45

Now we're getting even further away from the original topic.... Next thing we could be down to the rimfires.... But getting back to the 45 Colt... It somehow remains relevant even after more modern revolver- rounds have come to replace it. Of these more recent offerings, the one that was most likely to put an end to the 45 Colt, is the 44 Magnum. It's a better cartridge for double-action revolvers with a more substantial rim..... But, alas, it's way too powerful for anyone to shoot well. Except for y'all, of course, but that's only because y'all are exceptional folks.

AMP mentioned Cowboy Action Shooter. Classmate told me of a guy who handloaded his loads so light there was no recoil. He said you could literally see his bullets in flight. His bullets would strike the target but never knock them down. He argued his way into first place.

It better still be useful.

I searched for a decade for a 4" S&W Model 25-5. I could have had a bunch of 6" versions, but I wanted the 4".

Finally got it, and I adore it.

algentry1

The 45 Colt in a single-action revolver is my first choice in a handgun; a must have, must shoot component of my outfit. Any other handgun can take a back seat.
Thank you.
My response would have been exactly that. I take mine off at bedtime, but I keep it within reach.

Last edited:

Pathfinder45

As far as fashion goes, the Single Action 45 Colt has become one of the most fashionable accessories of modern times, ever since the whole gamut of cowboy shooting sports took off like wildfire.

44caliberkid

A few years back I picked up a Ruger Vaquero, stainless, 4 5/8 barrel, white grips, 45 Colt. It might not be my most practical carry weapon but it sure is my funnest carry piece.

TxFlyFish

It’s still relevant from mild 45acp levels to full power 44mag dishing out 300gr pills. The 454 and 460 are actually keeping the 45 Colt alive.

And also one of the most exciting calibers...infinite ways of kaboom sticking the wrong load into a vaquero or even a 454 into a M25

rodfac

You don't need to hot rod the Colt for anything.
The original load at roughly 820 fps with a ~255 gr lead alloy bullet is all many of us need....and has done the 'job' for over 100 years. It made its reputation with a pointed conical bullet sporting a small flat point, but today's LSWC just makes it that much better. You are not under-gunned with a .45 Colt.
Rod

44 AMP

Staff
The 454 and 460 are actually keeping the 45 Colt alive.

More like the ability to shoot common .45 Colt are keeping the .454 and .460 alive.

The .45 Colt had declined after the introduction of the .357 and when the .44 Mag came along, that took center stage, but the .45 Colt hung on. Then with it s 100th birthday in 1973, a popularity boost, PLUS the introduction of the Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt lead experimenters to discover that IN THAT GUN the .45 Colt could match the .44 Magnum, if desired.

The popularity of Cowboy Action shooting increased sales of Single Action revolvers over all, and the .45 Colt benefited from that, as well.

I first learned of the .45 Colt (in some detail) reading about it in Handloaders Digest in the 70s, learned about the classic, and about Ruger Only loads. I got a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible (new model) in 1983.

I originally got it with the idea of being able to plink with my .45ACP ammo, and not have to chase brass in the weeds. I made one small mistake. I shot a box of .45 Colt (Winchester) through the gun before I tried the ACP.

WOW! The muzzle went skyward, and there was "an earth shattering Kaboom!" :D I was HOOKED!! .45ACP seemed like bunney pharts after that.

Had my years of loading the .45 Colt to match or even slightly exceed the .44 Magnum. Decided a long time ago to settle on 10gr Unique and a 250gr SWC. This goes just under 1100fps in my 7.5" Ruger and delivers plenty of "thwop" while not being uncomfortable to shoot.

I can ring the 200yd rifle gong with this load, off hand, left hand in my back pocket. I have currently 6 or 7 Ruger Blackhawks or Vaqueros in .45 Colt. I like them a lot.

I think its the gun Colt should have built, if only they'd known how...;)
And, If they had been available when Elmer Keith was doing his work up, we probably wouldn't have a .44 Magnum today. We'd have a .45!! :D

jackmoser65

I disagree. For me, anyway, 300fps+ does make a useful difference.

I agree. The idea that everything needed can be done at 700 ft/sec is just absurd. Not to mention the potential with heavier bullets.

It's worth pointing out that the current so called cowboy loads are 150 to 200 ft/sec below original 45 colt ballistics.

More like the ability to shoot common .45 Colt are keeping the .454 and .460 alive.

Yes I think that's more accurate.

And, If they had been available when Elmer Keith was doing his work up, we probably wouldn't have a .44 Magnum today. We'd have a .45!!

If it weren't for the 44 magnum, we wouldn't have 45's strong enough to play with. ;)

Supposedly Elmer Keith initially tried hotrodding loads in .45 Colt.

He switched to .44 Special when he kept blowing the cylinders out of his handguns. Apparently the slightly thicker cylinder walls on the .44s made his loads possible.

JERRYS.

Taurus made a 5 shot 45 colt snubby a decade or more back..... the size of a Charter Arms bulldog 44 spl but with better cylinder lock up.