Tell me about the new Colts

Auto426

At what price do they give the new owner a steel MSH? I honestly don't know. I was out of guns for about ten years, went to a guns show and bought a nice looking stainless Colt. But I didn't look it over good enough, when I got it home I was shocked as heck to find that the MSH was some kind of plastic they colored to look like stainless. Within a few days it had a stainless housing, but that was an eye opener for me about Colt.

The same general price point, depends on what model you choose. The XSE series and the 1991 series, as well as the current Gold Cup Trophy series I believe, all use flat serrated polymer mainspring housings. The Series 70 and the now out of production 1911 and 1918 repo's use steel mainspring housings.

The polymer mainspring housings are a hold-over from when the 1991 series first hit the market. When they were introduced they used a polymer mainspring housing and trigger. Colt did away with the plastic triggers years ago, but kept the mainspring housings and started using them on all their normal production guns. They work just fine.

RsqVet

I like Colt, and Colt 1911's, however I would advise to buy in person more so than most other new guns that I know of. This is not a dig at colt, it's just the nature of this beast in specific. Look at many musical instruments, folks prefer to buy in person and hopefully try a 1 or two out as no two are exactly the same despite being a "factory" product.

Same goes for colts, I am sure they all shoot however some are just a little better than others in the perfection department, or their quirks will suit you better than another of the same gun.

Case in point, I recently was messing with a current production gold cup. Had enough slop in the trigger that it would drive me nuts. Other are not this way and it does not matter a ton in the end...

HisSoldier

They work just fine.

I don't want to offend you or anyone else, but I'm not concerned here with how they work.

I'm sure the day will come when humans have to drink recycled urine, but to me no scientific report will remove the fact that it's still p***.

The MSH would work fine made out of many substandard materials that I don't want in my guns, Zamak for instance, calling zinc Zamak doesn't make it any less zinc, oh maybe 4-6% less, and calling a plastic "polymer" doesn't make it less plastic, all plastics are polymers, and when I pay over $300 for any gun I expect it to have what I consider to be gun steel in it's manufacture.

Evidently some folks aren't bothered by it, I, for one, am very bothered by it. Colt is off my list, as is Kimber, they do the same things.
Almost all major makers are taking shortcuts by inferior material substitution, my job in life is to remind people that guns used to be made of steel.

When people demand good materials and methods gun makers will make good guns again. Again, my beef is with American manufacturing dishonesty, being a manufacturer myself puts a lot of seriousness into it.

B. Lahey

I've been shooting the heck out of my Colt WWI repro for a few years now, and it still amazes me. It is incredibly reliable, accurate, and has proven itself very durable. It is everything my brazillian Springfield is not. My Springfield isn't an awful pistol, but it is mildly picky about ammo, only groups as well as most of my other handguns, and suffered one mechanical failure when the barrel link broke after several years of hard use.

The Colt is simply a higher class of pistol. Everything my Springfield does acceptably, the Colt does magnificently, and the fit, finish, and attention to detail exhibited by the Colt are miles ahead. My Colt has beautifully polished and blued grip-screws for crying out loud. I feel like I stole it for the $1,000 I paid.