Taurus (was: Guns kicked out)

Justice06RR

Let's get a list going of all the American law enforcement agencies that issue Taurus.... Crickets. Why is that? They certainly make a lot of duty sized weapons and in every safety variation imaginable. They are affordable and according to Taurus fans, they have excellent CS. So, why is it not one US law enforcement issuing them? Maybe the US government is part of the vast Internet conspiracy against Taurus?

Thats beside the point, as the US Gov wont issue Keltec's, RIA's, and other lower end brands either. What I meant is that they will go with mid-tier manufacturers who offer great CS and reliability record as Glock and S&W.

As to the gunshop discontinuing to carry Taurus, that is completely up to them.

shootniron

It is my understanding that the 24/7 line was originally developed to be submitted for a DOD test for a new sidearm for some of the special forces units...a test that I also understand did not happen. I am not absolutely sure of this, but I have read this in many places over the years and have assumed this to be correct.

I have thought about this on several occasions and have often wondered how comforting it would be to venture off into hostile territory with a Taurus sidearm as your backup.:eek:

shootniron

Got something of a love-fest going on over there in the Proud Taurus Owners thread. There are a few peeking out of the closet.

But, all jokes aside, I am proud that everyone has not had my experience with them. For that matter, I wish they were all great as I would like to be able to buy one and enjoy it.

Last edited:

Shadi Khalil

Thats beside the point, as the US Gov wont issue Keltec's, RIA's, and other lower end brands either. What I meant is that they will go with mid-tier manufacturers who offer great CS and reliability record as Glock and S&W.

As to the gunshop discontinuing to carry Taurus, that is completely up to them.

They don't issue Kel-Tec because nothing in their line up qualifies as a duty weapon. As for the RIA's, not many agencies are issuing the 1911 anymore. The fact of the matter is, Taurus makes a whole slew of guns that would suit the needs of many different agencies yet they are not even close to being contenders.

obxned

We sell a lot of Taurus, both revolvers and pistols. I have no clue as to how good their service is - we've never, ever had a problem gun from them.

G1R2

They're still in business guys!

Most of the European and North American firearms manufacturers can't compete with the lower wages in Brazil. Their only recourse is to employ the "big lie". Keep repeating it long enough and people will begin to believe it.

MLeake

G1R2, that could apply if it were arms manufacturers making these claims, or not renewing inventories.

Instead, dealers, who theoretically should make clean profits, are choosing not to carry the products because:

1) They get too many new guns with issues;
2) They then have problems getting the issues satisfactorily handled by the manufacturer; which then
3) Leaves them with unhappy customers, lots of hassles, and their theoretical profits lost in time expended on paperwork and phone calls.

That's not about brand favoritism, it's about whether something is worth the potential headache, based on track record.

Some dealers in the forum seem happy with Tauri; other dealers in the forum (including some I know out in the real world) are not so happy with them, and have refused to carry much or all of the product line.

TaurusMan

I own two Taurus semi- and I am very happy with both, one I purchased new and the other used, at a good price. All joking aside I think people buy what they know. I own a Kel Tec and a Hi-Point, if I took what I read on all the forum etc. the Kel Tec should be a more reliable gun, not so in my case, the Hi-Point has shot at least 1000 rnds easily and I am actually having a hard time getting 500 rounds through my Kel Tec. I do agree that CS is very important but unfortunately I have read horror stories about all gun makers. My buddy has a Glock, and it misfires a lot, I think it is all about experience and I for one will never buy a Glock based on that experience, just like people that get bured by any company will not deal with that company again. Very valid points on both sides, at this point I am happy my gun(s) function correctly.

KC Rob

My buddy has a Glock, and it misfires a lot

I wonder what "misfires a lot" means? He pulls the trigger and nothing happens? It jams, or fails to feed or eject?

I have owned 4 Glocks, I have it whittled down to 1 now because I have decided to go a different direction with my handgun collection, but I have never had even the slightest hiccup, nor have I ever personally seen a Glock "misfire" when shooting at the range. I have personally seen two Taurus semi-autos self destruct. I don't know the models, they were plastic framed compact pistols that a husband and wife brought to a 4 day defensive handgun course. One was 9mm the other .45 ACP. The back of the slide broke off one on the first day and the the slide cracked on the other the next day. They rented Glocks to finish the course. I shot the course with a Glock 17 and had not one malfunction.

FWIW I have owned a Taurus, it was a PT-92 and it worked fine, no problems with it at all except it was too big for my wife's hands so I got rid of it.

Daryl

The fact is, some Taurus guns run, and some don't.

My dealer (and also one of my best friends) runs an FFL business from his home. My mother wanted to buy her husband a firearm for Christmas, but didn't have the money to put into something more expensive, so I asked Cole what he'd recommend.

He suggested Taurus, but also told me that some run, and some don't. He also told me that he'd order it from Davidson's, since they have a lifetime manufacturer's warranty on all firearms they sell. No dealing with Taurus; just have him return it to Davidson's if it ever has a problem, and they'll replace it free in just a few days.

Mom's husband isn't much of a shooter, but he wanted something to stick in his pocket while out-'n-about, since he's in some bad areas with his job. That little Tauus seems to fit the bill, and he likes it.

Not much to lose with that kind of backing from the distributor.

Daryl

Richard b

The fact that Davidsons with their no BS fix it or new gun guarantee still carry Taurus may be a real clue about their customers' level of problems with the brand.

MLeake

OTOH, Davidson's charges a premium compared to other distributors my LGS uses. They probably have their return costs covered pretty well.

shortwave

The fact that Davidsons with their no BS fix it or new gun guarantee still carry Taurus may be a real clue about their customers level of problems with the brand.

Don't think so as Davidson's offers this guarantee on all brands they carry.

OTOH, Davidson's charges a premium compared to other distributors my LGS uses. They probably have their return costs covered pretty well

^^^This^^^

dgludwig

Let's get a list going of all the American law enforcement agencies that issue Taurus.... Crickets.

Hmm...I'm not so sure that what handguns American police departments carry (or don't carry) should necessarily constitute what makes a pistol a good (or bad) one. Add to your list "all of the (major) American law enforcement agencies that issue" CZ 75/85 or Springfield XD pistols...crickets continue to chirp.

Carry_24/7

I bought my one Taurus, a 740 Slim, because it's a .40 and it was cheap, I use it as a range beater. It shoots so poorly that its an excellent training weapon. After I shoot it, Im nearly a sniper when I pick up my PPS. If it breaks, who cares, I'll destroy it myself.

Divide what you pay for a gun by the number of months you had it...for my Taurus, I spend more at Starbucks....so I'll gladly walk away when it stops working, but it keeps on ticking.

While some argue that price is not related to the quality of what you get, I still retain my disagreement.

taurus4life

hi-point has a A+ rating with the bbb. so i just goes to show i would not base my next gun purchese on what bbb rating they have. not that i'm bashing hi-point because i have one and like it. so in review as far as bbb ratings go.

1.taurus= f
2.beretta= f
3.hi-point= A+

Shadi Khalil

hi-point has a A+ rating with the bbb. so i just goes to show i would not base my next gun purchese on what bbb rating they have. not that i'm bashing hi-point because i have one and like it. so in review as far as bbb ratings go.

1.taurus= f
2.beretta= f
3.hi-point= A+

Most of what I've read has Hi Point having excellent CS.

MLeake

I have read bad things about Beretta CS, but have also not heard of many people who ever actually had to use it; HiPoint CS gets high marks, but also apparently quite a bit of practice; Taurus reputedly gets a lot of practice at poor CS.