Taurus (was: Guns kicked out)

pelo801

i have heard a lot of negative about taurus products. i take that with a grain of salt, and it may not neccesarily be a deal breaker for me. but i have also heard a fair share of negative about their CS, and that is a deal breaker for me. because of that reason, i will probably never buy a taurus product. i would like to hear one person say they had a good experience with their CS. i don't think i've read one good report. anyone have a good experience?

Jbar4Ranch

I get very fast turn around on warranty repairs - typically ten days or so. I've heard several horror stories about individuals sending guns in on their own though.

shortwave

Evil Monkey,

I'm thinking that in your scenario, since you chose gun 'B' the obvious isn't so obvious. :p:D

Me thinks I'd rather have gun 'A'.

Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey,

I'm thinking that in your scenario, since you chose gun 'B' the obvious isn't so obvious.

Me thinks I'd rather have gun 'A'.

HA!:D

I just fixed it. How could have I messed that up. lol

Shadi Khalil

For what it's worth (and in the business world it worth a lot) Taurus has a F rating with the BBB. When a company has such a low rating it's pretty pointless to sit and defend their nonexistent CS.

jhgreasemonkey

I had to check on this claim Shadi and you sir are correct. Taurus does have an F rating with the BBB. Yikes. http://www.bbb.org/south-east-flori...ernational-manufacturing-in-miami-fl-27002288
Just for comparison Smith and Wesson has an A+ http://www.bbb.org/central-western-...ths/smith-and-wesson-in-springfield-ma-201483
Sturm Ruger has an A rating
http://www.bbb.org/connecticut/busi...rers/sturm-ruger-and-in-southport-ct-41001066
If I ran a business such as a gun shop I would be leary to deal with Taurus as well just for this reason alone.

Last edited:

Shadi Khalil

Your right grease monkey. A company that refuses to resolve BBB complaints could really careless about their customers. Also, the complaints are across the board, hitting every category. As I said before, anyone who would argue Taurus has good CS really needs to take this into consideration. Certainly people will have good experiences just like some get good Taurus but the F rating speaks volumes.

Microgunner

I have sold Taurus firearms for 25 years and can count on one hand the ones returned to us with problems that couldn't be solved with a little cleaning, lubrication and/or break in.
They're occasionally a little sticky at first but heck, look how affordable they are.
They are money makers for us and we will continue to carry them.

MLeake

Microgunner, a friend who manages a large gun shop near Atlanta had been exceeding the number of my fingers in Taurus returns at least every other month. His shop stopped carrying most Taurus models a few months ago.

Edit: one month, he had several NiB revolvers arrive with no B/C gap. They arrived bound up. Not a lube, cleaning, or break in issue.

Meanwhile, hang glider has a new thread about back to back TCPs that could not chamber a round...

What kind of volume are you selling?

Microgunner

MLeake said:
What kind of volume are you selling?

We're a pawn shop so firearms are just a part of our business.
Maybe 20 per month. Mostly new.
The PT738 TCP is a very good seller without a single complaint yet.
I did receive a new mod 85 revolver once that the cylinder charge holes had not received their final sizing and the cartridges would not fit.
Taurus rectified that situation within 2 weeks.

old bear

The only new Taurus handguns for sale in the shops I frequent are "new old Stock" that has not sold, neither shop will order new product from Taurus.

It's kinda sad Taurus had/has the ability to be a major player in the personal defense handgun arena and has dropped the ball once to often.

I own one (1) Taurus, a 617, that has been a good and trustworthy weapon, yet I will not buy a second Taurus product.

HAPPY New Year All..

shurshot

This may not be the case here, but here is something to think about. There are many shop owners (guns, beer, sandwiches, hardware, gas, etc.), who get behind in their bills, run up a HUGE tab, and deliverys get stopped, due to hitting their Max credit limit. When a store owner stops selling a certain product (because they can't get another delivery due to unpaid bills), they will often come up with an excuse, blame the quality of the product, company, distributor, State, etc.

Last edited:

G1R2

no dog in this fight

Tarus is NOT a fly-by-night organization with revenues of over $400 million. It has been manufacturing firearms since 1941 and exporting them to the USA in 1968. Tarus USA started in 1984 to continue that tradition.

Why are they still in business if there product is unsatisfactory to the American firearm public?

shurshot

Well, It's kind of difficult NOT to defend Taurus, since in 1986, my Father and I bought a Taurus 9MM 99 and a Taurus .357 66, and both have fired THOUSANDS & THOUSANDS of rounds without so much as a hiccup. Very well built, accurate weapons. Every company has the occassional issue with quality control (and sometimes issues a recall), be it S&W, Colt, BMW, Ford, Toyota, Lockheed Martin, Kimber or Taurus. I will continue to support Taurus and wouldn't hesitate to buy another, although I doubt I'll need to, as these 2 are still going strong 26 years later and don't appear to be showing any signs of wear, aside from some minor cosmetic wear. They are both damn good guns.

If those numbers mentioned above by G1R2 are even close to correct (over $400 Million in annual revenue?), Taurus must be doing something right. Taurus, like Remington, seems to be an easy target for firearms "experts" that appear, from number of their posts and subjective comments, to spend much more time on the internet than they do on the shooting range.

I'm sure the OP is honest with his observations and experience, as are a few others who posted in this thread. However, I have a strong hunch that there are MANY individuals who make a hobby of complaining about weapons that they have never even held, much less fired.

Last edited:

MLeake

shurshot, the thing is, most people don't complain about mid-80's Taurus products.

The PT92 has a good rep, too.

But since the Millennium, Judge, etc kicked off a Taurus rush to expand their product line, QC seems to have taken a big hit.

And the BBB "F" rating is in keeping with most of the reports I have read and heard about dealing with their CS.

C0untZer0

I went shooting last night and LGS had the SCCYs in. The CPX-1 and the CPX-2. I asked the clerk if he knew anything about them and he said "Nope, our distributer just called and said they had em, so we took em."

Do gun stores sell stuff on commission for distributors? Can this LGS send them back if they don't sell?

I just thought his response was odd. People reported a lot of problems with the SCCYs, I have no idea if they are fixed now or not. They are selling at my LGS for $275

Does a stores relationship with a distributor impact what models they have to show on their shelf?

Sarge

MLeake said:
shurshot, the thing is, most people don't complain about mid-80's Taurus products.

I am old enough to remember that era. I was a cop in a Metro area and a lot of 'pups' bought a Taurus, Charter etc. as their first off duty gun. In those days Taurus offered simple, basic revolvers that undersold the Big Three.

Mr. Leake is correct, according to my recollection.