Talk about "trigger jobs"

mitchcoyote

What's all this talk about trigger jobs? I was raised to believe a hair trigger was a liability, not an asset. A pistol coming from the factory with a medium trigger pull is a safe gun. Getting use to the factory trigger pull is part of the experience of getting to know your gun. Lightening the trigger is not only unsafe but is unnecessary. Practice is what is necessary. If trigger jobs are needed for competition shooting, then competition shooting is dangerous....

ranburr

Try talking about something you know about rather then subjects you obviously have no experience with.

ranburr

ranburr

Maybe not for you. Just because someone has owned a few guns for a few years are they all of a sudden an expert? You only show your ignorance on this subject. What is perfectly safe for one person may not be for someone like yourself. At your age you should be able to remember that factory triggers used to be a whole lot lighter and smoother than they are today. Were those guns unsafe?

ranburr

shield20

I am curious - as I never shot in competition, but am thinking about it. Does the light trigger allow the gun to go off by itself? What are some deadly/serious injury incidents you know of from competitions caused by light triggers? Is it common? Is it target competitions, practical/tactical competitions that are dangerous, or just "in general"?

Jart

Rule number 3:
Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target!
A 2 pound trigger is plenty safe provided you're following the rules; if you're not, no trigger is safe.

Samuel2001

I'm with Jart on this one fellers!

A knuckle-head, is a knuckle-head, is a knuckle-head!

Also keep in mind that some target shooters even go as far as to use release triggers, these type of triggers go off after you release the trigger. once you squeese your commited! Most guys that use that type of trigger are probably some of the safest shooters out there, cause they have to. If you remember to keep your finger off the trigger you'll be OK.

Mosin44az

Trigger jobs don't mean 2-pound triggers, necessarily, either; you can specify what weight you want. I asked for a 5-pound trigger on a Para I had once that I knew was going to be carried for defense.

There's a big difference in smoothness between a stock trigger on a revolver and one with a trigger job by a good gunsmith; it will generally also be a little lighter, but nothing I would think anyone could really take issue with. Control is substantially improved. It has made a difference on my 1911s too.

918v

I am 46 years old and had guns 40 of those years

Congrats...

retard_prize.jpg

BerettaCougar

Everyone..
Especially new people... insulting other members is not welcomed here, if you believe they are not right, or their views conflict with yours theres tons of ways to hold a mature debate. And you guessed it, ad hominem insults, either in words or pictures is not one of them.

:cool:

TBT

Anyone that relies on the pull weight of the trigger to keep them safe should probably hang it up.

Heavier triggers are good for carry but could also be smoothed via trigger job as was pointed out. Its not always about #s. All of my 1911's break between 4 and 5 pounds and that suits me fine. I do feel safe even though each are under 10 pounds.

gac009

Most educated shooters are safe with as light a trigger as they feel comfortable with, others are not safe with any firearm.

At gander the other day the seller showed me a 1911-A1 that he was thinking about getting for himself. It had a trigger job that was wayyyy too light for me to feel comfortable around but I had no problem with the idea of him owning it.

I like a 6-8 lb pull but I also have very strong hands and I can barely feel a 2-3 lb trigger. I am a new shooter so that may change over time.

Joe D

Let's see my competition Glocks have a 1 lb. 2 oz. pull. My 1911 has a 1 lb. 8 oz pull. I can't seem to make them fire unless I pull the trigger.

Last edited:

WESHOOT2

isn't this just the cutest little thread

My fav carry 1911 has a 1.5lb "trigger"; how do you like me now?

I want MY guns to be utterly dangerous; know what I mean?

tex45acp

"What's all this talk about trigger jobs? I was raised to believe a hair trigger was a liability, not an asset. A pistol coming from the factory with a medium trigger pull is a safe gun. Getting use to the factory trigger pull is part of the experience of getting to know your gun. Lightening the trigger is not only unsafe but is unnecessary. Practice is what is necessary. If trigger jobs are needed for competition shooting, then competition shooting is dangerous...."

mitch,
You might ease up a little on your opinion!!! :cool:
Triggers of different weights are not bad. That's like saying that you are an irresponsible driver for driving a Cadillac over a Yugo, because at 45mph the heavier car can take twice as long of a distance to stop, thus making it more prone to a rearend collision of a car in front of you. It is the driver's responsibility to control the car and the shooter's responsibility to not touch the trigger until ready to fire. I prefer a 4# pull on all my carry weapons. I am not an irresponsible person for having a trigger that I can "safely" operate. I will say, as stated by one of the other participants in this thread, my 4# trigger pull makes me a more accurate shooter than the 5-6# pulls in some of my other guns. I, like you have been shooting guns, for most of my 47 years. I always hated the heavy triggers. "Getting use to them" was never completely accomplished, and bad triggers took some of the fun out of the shooting I was involved in. In hunting with handguns, one of my passions, I want a trigger that will assist me in making a clean, on target, shot that will effectively harvest the animal without fear of a bad shot possibly due to a heavy trigger.

fairview mick

Response to a release trigger.

Samuel.
Let me fill you in on a release trigger. You're correct in saying that you release to fire, you're not committed until you release. If you decide not to fire, all you do is open the action. That re-sets the mechanism and you start over. I've only seen them in shotguns for trapshooting. Some people develope a flinch so bad that when calling for a target, you cannot pull the trigger. Something in the brain makes the trigger feel like a 10 pound brick.(After 75 to 100 thousand rounds that happened to me) If it were not for a release trigger, I would not be shooting now. As far as a hand gun or rifle release system, I've not seen one. Some clubs will not allow them, but they are safe. At the Grand American trap shoot, I would guess that at least 20% of shooters use release.