T.C. Contender Owners

WOW... SVO... I would have guessed I'd have close to the most ( I'm constantly outgrowing my storage for barrels... but I think you have more than I do... & OKIE... you've crossed the line to addict as well I see...

I have 3 early blued frames... would like to add an older engraved stainless frame to the stable yet... & of course I'm dragging my feet, but I expect an Encore frame & a couple barrels will follow suite

.17 Mach 2
.17 K-Hornet
.17 Remington
.22 LR
.221 Fireball
.22 Hornet
.22 Hornet ( fast twist )
5.7 X 28
.222 Remington
.223 Remington
.223 Remington ( fast twist )
25-20 Win
6 X 223 SSK
6.8 SPC
7mm TCU
7-30 Waters
.30 Carbine
30-30 Win
.30 Herrett
.32-20
.357 Mag
.357 Max
.357 Herret
.35 Rem
.375 Winchester
10 MM Magnum
.44 Mag
.44 Hot Shot / 444 Marlin
.45 Colt
.45 Colt / .410
.45 Win Mag
.45-70

Last edited:

mrt949

When I started shooting TC 'Sthe barrells were dirt cheap back then ,like $30.00 or something rediclous cheap by todays prices. $ 80.00 FOR A SUPER 14 IN 44 MAG.

It's the scopes that get me... start throwning good glass on most of them... ( 3-4 times the price of the barrels )... most of mine wear Burris handgun scopes, several are Posi Locks

Bob Wright

My first experience with the Thompson Contender came about 1980 or 1981. I was visitning my daughter and son-in-law, and there was a man nearby who made custom barrels. So, my son-in-law and some of his friends gathered up a box full of barrels and introduced me to the TC.

I had started out with a .30-30, then a .30-40, and was on the .35 Remington. I squeezed one off only to have nothing happen. I eased my trigger finger alongside the trigger guard and waited one minute (more or less). Then I brought the gun up to about 45 degrees, holding with a two hand hold, when the pistol fired. The recoil whipped the gun back, the front sight caught me under the right cheekbone and I saw stars momentarily.

Seems the frames, which had been used for load developement had becomed battered and burrs had caused the hammer to sort of become stuck.

I did finish out the day, going all the way up to the .45-70, the largest they had at the time. But not with that frame.

Bob Wright

BLUETIP

Svo, okiecruffler, and magnumwheelman, i may not be able to continue posting here as i believe what you three have may be contagious. Lol, very impressive collections on every ones part. I only have 2 .22lr and 14'' .223. Burris on one and leupold on the other. Love them both.

mrt949

Back in 1970's had a 10" octagon 44 mag .Mounted a LEUOPLD 2 POWER SCOPE. With BHUEHLER rings and mounts.Loaded 250 gr swc with 2400 powder.Was NEW at reloading .It took only 3 ROUNDS to destroy the rings and mounts.My shooting friend said stop your going to kill your self . What an experience .Found out the scale wasn't level lesson learned.If you don't know what you are doing leave it alone .

Last edited:

Molasses

Okay, I'm not even in the running, but still:
.22 LR (X2)
.218 Bee
.223 (X2)
.270 REN
7mm TCU
7-30 Waters
.30 Herrett
.30-30
.32-20
.32 H&R Mag
.357 Max
.357/44 B&D
.357 Herrett
.35 Rem
.44 Mag
.45-70
.45LC/.410 (X2)

damienph

Contender Chamberings

The only two that I have is 22LR and 30 Herrett, both 10". I would like to get a 222 Rem and a 7-30 Waters one day.

darkgael

Yipe! 45 barrels in 17 calibers.......26 barrels in 11 calibers....32 barrels in 15 different calibers. Amazing collections.
Me.....ten barrels, six calibers across seven cartridges.

Pete

Last edited:

OkieCruffler

I'm not so much addicted to the barrels as I am with chasing down the perfect load for a cartridge. Alot cheaper to do with Contender barrels as opposed to say Remington 700's.
And I've always been interested in the 270 REN but cost of dies has held me back.

IKE

With me getting older and no heir that is that much interested in guns I've sold off around 20 scoped 14" and 15" Contender and Encore barrels (along with several other guns) in the past 18 months.

The barrels I've kept are below.

Contender scoped 14" barrels + four frames;

22 long rifle
6mm TCU
6.5mm TCU
7mm TCU
300 Whisper

Encore scoped 15" barrels + two frames;

6.5x55 Swede
6.5x284 Winch.
35 Whelen

CDH

I bought a brand new AA Contender during the short time when TC was making them and could only at the time afford one extra barrel over the one that came on it.
So I started with a 10"/.22 and a 10"/.357.
Over the next few years after the AA was discontinued, I managed to find the rest of the barrels I wanted, all NIB and all original AA in 10".

So all 10" and in AA, I'm stuck with:
.357 Mag
.44 Mag
7mmTCU

Being all original with all the boxes, I haven't the heart to do the simple mod for using other barrels with it, so I need to pull the trigger on getting an older Stainless frame and then start chasing down the other calibers I'd like.

It's always something...

OkieCruffler

The max just shines in the Contender platform. It's become my goto for anything bigger than yotes. Speaking of yotes, took my new MGM 22 Khornet out to form brass today. Even fireforming from hornet brass and using not so careful loads and a makeshift rest 100rds went into less than 3 inches at 100yrds. can't wait to see what it does once I work up a good load.

Ricklin

Just brought my first contender home today. It's a .44 mag. I'm thinkin my next barrel shall be a .22 LR scoped.

A quality piece, that's for sure.