T.C. Contender Owners

Guv

Love the fact that you can get such good bullets for the Max, 35 Remington bullets are terrific, I would like about a 6"-8" inch 357magnum barrel though.

Stevie-Ray

.30-30 Winchester Super 14 and .45-70 Govt. Super 16. The .45-70 barrel is Magnaported, but tapered. I don't recommend it unless you're simply shooting 405s, but what fun is that? 300 gr Remingtons are interesting to say the least. The .30-30, OTOH, is simply fun with a capital f. Always wanted a .223 Super 14 barrel. I'll have one someday.

DSC_0564-1.jpg

Guv

My mate has a 45-70 also, 405 are fine, the 300's are nasty buggers!:eek: About like a M29 with some standard 44 specialsl vs some hot 44 magnums.

Sevens

I've got a Super-14, .223. It will absolutely drive tacks and at an impromptu bet on a range day, it made me look like I knew what the heck I was doing (and I knew how to roll a handload!) at 300 yards. I've had it since 1994 when I bought it new. I don't shoot it nearly as often as either of us deserves.

I have a 10-inch .44 Magnum barrel that I don't use and would like to sell or trade. It's a round barrel, not octagon and it's not a hotshot barrel, not braked or choked or any of that. No fore-end piece for it.

I'm interested in a .30/30 or a 7-30 Waters barrel... no idea why, just something to goof with I suppose. I don't really hunt.

I'd probably have a blast with a .357 Max barrel, too, but then I'd have to hunt down some brass.

Stevie-Ray

I'm interested in a .30/30 or a 7-30 Waters barrel... no idea why, just something to goof with I suppose. I don't really hunt.
My original was in .30-30 and was bought for IHMSA competition, something it excels at. IHMSA never panned out here and I never got a chance to try it out elsewhere, but the .30-30 is great at punching paper, also. MOA capable and just a lot of fun. You won't be sorry if you still get one, except for the price of ammo, nowadays. I remember paying 4-5 bucks a box for .30-30.:(

Guv

The muzzle blast from a 10" 30-30 is quite fearsome and I can tell you at about 15 yards a 223 out of a T/C will go right through an empty Coke can without it moving at all. Thought we were missing it!

Sevens

You won't be sorry if you still get one, except for the price of ammo, nowadays. I remember paying 4-5 bucks a box for .30-30.:(
Stevie-Ray, all these years we've been posting back and forth and you STILL so silly! :p

why on Earth you aren't handloading, I'll never understand.
Ha ha, "paying" for .30-30, who would do something of that nature?! :confused::D

Fisher

I bought my first Contender about 20 years ago. It was the hunter package that came scoped with a 12" .44 magnum barrel. I eventually started hunting deer here in Ohio when they let us use pistols. That setup has taken a lot of deer over the years. Since then I have bought and sold several barrels. Here are some of them.

.17 HMR (Pistol)
.22 Match (Pistol)
.223 (Pistol)
.357 Max. (Pistol)
.35 Remington (Pistol)
.44 Mag. (Pistol)
.444 Marlin (Pistol)
.45 Long Colt (Pistol)

.17 HMR Bullberry (Carbine)
.223 MGM (Carbine)

Here are pics of the two carbine barrels.

17hmrweb.jpg

223web.jpg

Fisher

Thanks Okie. I orderd the HMR barrel and the stocks from Bullberry at the same time. The forearm and pistol grip cap are black walnut. The stock is english walnut. It has there hard epoxy finish on it. It takes a long time to get something made from Bullberry. It has always been worth the wait though.

Jim

Stevie-Ray

why on Earth you aren't handloading, I'll never understand.
I do handload, but for .45 ACP and 10mm only. Never shot enough .30-30 to bother and it was cheap back then. But now that it's expensive and I have a Winchester 94 also to play with it's getting more attractive.

If you already handload .30-30, then why pray tell do you NOT have a .30-30 barrel?;)

Alas, I only have a scoped 10" .44 mag barrel, but I have always wanted more.

Where are some good sources for Contender barrels? I thought they weren't making them anymore. Or are the Encore barrels compatible with the older Contender models?

Fisher

The 3 main sites I buy my Contender barrels from are:

Graybeard Outdoors

Ebay

Ed's Contenders

Other sites will have them in their buy and sell forums from time to time including The Firing Line. Ed's and Graybeard are pretty dedicated to the T/C guns.

The Encore barrels will not fit the Contender frames.

Jim

TeamTurpin

My first post here.

I'm buying my first 'Tender on Monday from Ed's Contenders here in OKC. She'll be chambered for 7-30 Waters and will be an awesome deer slayer. (Actually a pig slayer too, but deer slayer just sounds better.)

SVO

What a lot of people don't realize is that if one collected one T/C contender barrel of every caliber in every barrel configuration, length & barrel finish offered over the years by the factory, one would have a collection somewhere on the other side of 600 barrels or so. That's not counting the custom shop or aftermarket barrels that are available.

Beans

After wanting to buy one since the mid 80's I just picked up my first TC. DOB july thru December 1983 with four barrels with rubber stocks, 4 forearms and 2 scopes.:D

30 Herrett Super 14 inch
Ribbed 357 mag without a choke but threaded for one, 10 inch barrel. I don't care much for how this barrel looks.
.223 Super 14 inch
.44 Mag bull barrel 10 inch.
I can envision a couple more barrels

1. 45 ACP
2 .9mm
3. .22 LR match