Suggestions for Sub-Compact (small) conceal carry weapon

hihosilver

the Beretta PX4 sub-compact looks like it will be a nice gun, but I think it is still going to be as thick or thicker than that XD subcomp. I absolutely love my little xd9 sc. If the thickness isnt an issue, then nevermind. I do think the PX4 sub-comp is kinda wicked looking .

Laserlips

100_8729.jpg

HK P7 or Walther PPS hard to beat..

LWS32 as backup.:D

Just personal opinion/no offense to anyone.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

2sigs

I really love my Sig P230 in 380 and in some instances carry my P239DAO in 9mm. I have always felt the best carry piece is a quality snubnose in 38Special +p if possible or 357, very easy to conceal a S&W J frame.

Many people suggest and carry the Bersa Thunder 380 and I would imagine they are a good carry piece as the action on them is pretty decent compared to a PPK IMHO. I have one I recently picked up unfired so I have not shot it but the double action is very good for the money. It's FS/Trade currently ;)

I must add that a carry gun of worth is one that you can reliably shoot well with particularly when stressed and one that you WILL carry, So it must be of a size/design that allows you comfortable carry. I"ll also add that a small caliber on your person is better by far than a design/caliber highly recommended in your truck or at home.

And finally Holsters, a holster or means to carry the weapon is a very important decision. Will you carry when you Jog, Bike etc? then a secure holster is required. Driveing, desk work, unloading/loading trucks, climbing?? a holster or holsters for different situations is likely. So is material that holster is made from. Don't expect to buy gun XYZ and Holster ABC and thats all you need. research trial and error holsters can be a nightmare.

a S&W 38 with a clipdraw is not the best for all by any means but I have found over the years I like it's ability and handiness the best.

Good luck in your search and I hope you never need it
-2sigs

Northalius

As Monty said: Put in a NY1 (8 lb.) or NY2 (12 lb.) trigger in your Glock, and you're basically carrying a semi-auto with a revolver-like trigger. I think this is your best bet, since you said you like Glocks!

But most importantly: Be most diligent in making sure you're aware of keeping your finger off the trigger at ALL times until DIRECTLY on target; make sure to have a holster that completely covers the trigger guard, and make sure nothing is sticking out on your clothes or holster that could snag the trigger. Always SLOWLY reholster your pistol with care.

Follow these rules 100%, and you'll have no problem with a Glock... even if they have a light trigger. This is what it's all about: Being responsible in handling a gun, and not relying upon other mechanical devices for "safety", simply because we would lack confidence in ourselves to not follow the basic rules of firearm safety!

Even after thinking my post over, and not going for it... then there're some manual safety's on the market for Glocks; you'll have to install them yourself, or have a armorer do it for you... of course.

If you like 9mm, then I suggest the sub compact Glock 26; if you like .40 S&W, then I suggest the sub compact Glock 27; if you like .357 SIG, then I suggest the Glock 33; if you like .45 (though GAP), then I suggest the Glock 39.

If you don't mind a little bigger size than these, then I'd suggest the .45 ACP Glock 30 (or G30 SF, if you can find one).

The most power in a compact - sub compact size: The 10mm Glock 29... loaded with DoubleTap ammo, of course. :D

Spenser

Let me add a Model 60 Smith and Wesson if you're going in the small revolver category.

If you're ok with .380, my favorite has been the Sig 232, with the blued finish. The stainless is a bit heavier.

LeadFistExpress

Kahr K40 for me!!!

I carry my Kahr K40 IWB all the time. Being an all metal frame, it is slightly heavier than the polymer models, but it is lighter than my XD40 4" with a polymer frame. It is very thin, even thinner than my Taurus snub nose .38. I love it and have put at least 350 rounds through it since getting it less than a month ago. It has nice rubber grips so it like the feel of it better than the polymer Kahr's.

TxPhantom

What I carry depends on the weather and how I'm dressed.

S & W 442 & 642 snubbies with Crimson Trace laser grips.

Snubbies001.jpg

Spring Field 1911 Micro Compact

Jan5th2007030.jpg

S & W MP 9 Compact
Jan-4.jpg

tplumeri

Nice choice, essentially the same size as the EMP, just slightly "fatter" due to the 45 cal. less $$ too.

about EMP prices
I bought my EMP early 2007 for $1050 shipped. it was the only one on gunbroker at the time. I almost bought a second, used for $750 but the wife "talked me out of it"!:eek:

BTW i have this cute little 380 guardian with only 6 shots thru it. Wife cant rack the slide. selling so i can get her a small revolver. PM for details and discount price.

tom

TxPhantom

Quote:

Nice choice, essentially the same size as the EMP, just slightly "fatter" due to the 45 cal. less $$ too.

about EMP prices
I bought my EMP early 2007 for $1050 shipped. it was the only one on gunbroker at the time. I almost bought a second, used for $750 but the wife "talked me out of it"!

BTW i have this cute little 380 guardian with only 6 shots thru it. Wife cant rack the slide. selling so i can get her a small revolver. PM for details and discount price.

tom

Hey Tom:
You might have your wife check this site out. Lots of very good info for women (and men) shooters by a woman. The address below pertains directly to women that have a hard time racking the slide of a semi-auto. My wife had the same problem but with the advice from this site she has learned how to leverage the slide back. It can be done.

http://www.corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx

tplumeri

Phantom,
thanks for trying to help.
i had her view that site a month or so ago, as this is not an isolated incident.
excellent site BTW!
problem is the mrs wieghs all of 120 ponds, but more of a problem is that she has rheumatoid arthritis.
opening twist top jars etc is an adventure for her. have all kinds of assist devices.
seems that semi's are just about impossible for her.
thanks
tom

TxPhantom

Tom:
Sorry to hear she has a problem. That is a good site, but it looks like you were right. In this case a revolver would be best. I'm sure you wll find one she likes. Good luck!!:D

papagerald

Dao Ccw

How about the Springfield XD sub compact?. 10+1 or16+1 in 9mm, Glock style trigger,grip safety. Cocked indicator and round in chamber indicator-both feelable in dark. Never a failure to function.

Erik

You may want to give the Smith and Wessons M&P and the Glock lines a serious look... if you can get over the requirement for a manual safety.

If not... well, the compact options with manual safeties don't necessarily measure up to your desire for reliabilty like their bigger brothers do. It is what it is, despite all the folks who will assure you other wise.

hkg3

For me it would be:

#1. Colt Officers Model
#2. Glock 36
#3. SP101 2.25” in .357 with a bobbed hammer.

fitfighter81

S&W M&P 9C in a Safariland IWB/j-hook, loaded with hornady 9mm 147gr TAP CQ hollow points . Surefire E2 Defender and SOG Vulcan Folder.

Thats what works for me.

Shadi Khalil

If you are also consdering a revolver, why not look into the kahr line of pistols? They are pretty much the closest thing to a revolver in a semi auto available.

HKFan9

I have a Kahr PM9 and it is smaller, lighter, more concealable(?), and comfortable than my SW Model 60 J-Frame. To date it has had no FTFs or FTEs.

upnover

carry gun

consider the para 'hog line, i have a warthog, 3" barreled 1911 style in 45 with a double stack 10 round mag for a fatter grip, very reliable, and very accurate, i love it. i recently saw an ad in the back of am. handgunner mag that showed a manual safety installed on a glock, i'd never do it, but????????