Suggestions for Sub-Compact (small) conceal carry weapon

FireMax

My first sub-compact for conceal carry was a Taurus PT145, but it seems very picky about the ammo I use in it and I have had more than 1 failure to feed. I decided to send the recoil spring back to Taurus at their suggestion, but before I do, I want to pickup another gun for conceal carry. Thus, I'm seeking suggestions.

FYI. I am right handed, and I carry IWB on my right hip toward the front of my body. I like a smaller weapon with a short barrel for concealment purposes. The thinner profile the better, but it doesn't have to be the skinniest weapon out there. I would like it to have a good reputation for dependability since I will be carrying it everyday.

I am asking for suggestions in the general handgun forum because, though I prefer semi-autos, I am willing to consider a revolver.

To give you an idea of what I like, I've been looking at the Glock 36, but, I really would prefer to have a manual safety. So, I probably will not get a Glock. Yes, I like Glocks, but they're not for me for conceal carry.

ChicagoTex

Price being no object I'd suggest a Springfield EMP9.
Since price probably is an object and you're likely unable or unwilling to drop $1,200 on a carry gun (as many normal people would be) I have a few other suggestions:

EAA Witness Subcompact
H&K USP Compact (kinda expensive though and probably not as compact as you'd like.)
The Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact just coming out
One of the old S&W DA auto compacts
Bersa Thunder .380

If you're willing to go a double-action revolver you might be willing to go with a DA/SA automatic in which case I could also suggest:

H&K P2000SK
SIG P239
SIG P245 (220 Compact)

As far as DA revolvers go anything by Ruger or S&W should absolutely get the job done.

MontyCop05

put a NY1 or NY2 spring in that G36 and you'll have a trigger a kin to any DAO

Ext Safety?
H&K USP 45 Compact. I have one. Gun is tits.

hihosilver

I would love to have to EMP, manual safety, slim, but $1200 as Chigtex noted. THe kahr pm9 I hear is great and very slim, but no manual safety. It seams like Taurus is the only ones that have a manual safety in a DAO. I got the xd9 sub compact. It has the extra grip safety that I found suits me. It is a little thick though. The emp is supposed to have a 40 cal coming out. still alot of $, but hey. I also like the Kahr models 9mm. Most are .900 thick

Boris Bush

One thing about the Glock NY trigger is it is still easy to shoot one with the trigger. I put alot of rounds down range with a 3.5# G17L and the first time I fired my brothers with the NY trigger I was smokin 'chucks 20-25 yards out as if I was shooting my old 17L.

The NY triggers are great for those that want a little more umph infront of the trigger to get it off, while keeping the same breaking feel when the striker falls.......

rantingredneck

Since you are willing to consider revolvers let me be the first to suggest one:

Ruger SP101 2.25"

I was a diehard semiauto guy until I picked up a used one for 290.00 a few months back. Since then it has taken over as my primary CCW gun. I carry it IWB at 4:00 in an AKJ Concealco IWB holster:

DSC00403.JPG

DSC00404.JPG

Edit: I see ChicagoTex beat me to it:
As far as DA revolvers go anything by Ruger or S&W should absolutely get the job done.

If you go S&W I'd go pre-lock though.

HKFan9

+1 to the Kahr PM9, not one FTF or FTE even during the recomended break in period. Smaller than a j-frame also.

tplumeri

Been carrying a PM9 for about a year. great gun, easy to conceal. reliable after 500 rounds. (break in). no saftey but long DAO trigger.
starting to carry the EMP more and more. the only thing keeping it from being my #1 carry is a comfortable IWB holster.
you wont be sorry with either gun.
tom

oneSoneK

I carry a g23 and a bersa .380 in the summer. the bersa is small enough to where i can wear shorts and a t-shirt without showing. i would suggest the bersa

orionengnr

I own both the Kahr PM9 and the EMP. I carry the PM9.
The EMP is a gem, but if I'm going to carry a 23 oz 1911, my Kimber Ultra Carry fills that role, and offers .45acp.

BTW, if you are paying $1200 for an EMP, I have a bridge for you...that is MSRP and some were paying that when they came out...what? November 06? I paid $976 early March 07, and I'll bet you can do better today. I've also seen a few lightly used ones go for $850 or so.

PSP

Since you are already into .45acp as a carry round then the Kahr line of .45s may just be your answer. You have a choice of PM, P and TP sized frames, so you can go as short or long as you care. There are a variety of holsters available, night sights, if desired, are available.

kirkcdl

Taurus Millenium Pro fits your requirements,just make sure it has the word "Pro" on the slide and you're good to go...;)

bikerbill

+1 Orion .... I too carry a PM9, which is an excellent gun in every way .. except for no safety ... I priced an EMP at the gunstore where I buy my weapons and they quoted $950 + tax .... the issue with the EMP, as they explained it, is that SA only makes a small number at a time and they're hard to get ... I've seen a few at the gunshow I attend in Austin, it's one of 4 or 5 I'm mulling as a cool-weather replacement for the PM9 ...

FireMax

Taurus Millenium Pro fits your requirements,just make sure it has the word "Pro" on the slide and you're good to go

Already have one. I'm going with a different gun this time.

I will check out Kahr, Bersa, Springfield XD series, Ruger, and the other models mentioned in the thread. Interestingly, I have been reading about the Beretta PX4 sub-comp. I haven't been able to locate one locally. I want to hold it before I will buy it. Maybe at the next gun show in July.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

LanceOregon

The Kahr PM9 or P9 would meet your requirements nicely, except they don't have a manual safety. But their trigger pull is as safe as an revolver's, while being very smooth and easy to shoot accurately. Certainly a far, far better trigger pull than any of the Taurus PT series pistols.

If I am in an emergency, I personally don't want to be fumbling around to take off a manual safety. And since you say that you are willing to consider a revolver, a Kahr is going to be just as safe as any revolver.

I used to own a Kahr P40 before I got my PM9. However, I found the recoil from the .40 S&W in such a lightweight polymer gun to be too much for me. But if you have not had any issue with the recoil in your lightweight .45 Taurus, then perhaps you would not mind a gun like the Kahr P40.

The smallest gun that I personally like to shoot the .40 S&W in is my Smith and Wesson M&P compact. But is is a heavier gun than your Taurus. And it has a really nice comfortable grip.

I honestly don't believe much in compact .45 pistols myself. If you want a true compact, it seems to me that 9mm and .40 S&W are much more practical options.

kahrPM9_on.jpg

dadofsix

+1 for the New Agent, though the trench sights can be a challenge. I had no problems with them, others seem to shoot low and to the left with them.

While I don't own a Defender, it's basically the same gun as the New Agent -- but with sights.

<><Peace

Last edited:

Desert01

I have had a Kahr P-9 since 1999. It has been 100% reliable for several thousand rounds. it did have one thing that needed to be fixed. After a long day training the trigger pin would start to walk out. never caused a problem with reliability, but it ate up my Blade-Tech. Finaly after 3 or 4 years I called Kahr and explained the issue. Seems the early P-9's trigger pin was smooth and this was a "fault". They mailed me out a new trigger pin that had a groove on the end which caught the trigger spring. I have not had an issue since.

My P-9 is the same size as my Colt Agent .38 snub. I find the P-9 more controlable then the light weight alloy Agent. Even fitted with Eagle Secret Service Grips on the Agent it just doen't quite fill my hand enough. It P-9 on the other hand fit perfectly. For all around use I would recommend the P-9, but for pocket carry(something that doesn't fit my body type) I would go with a snub. The rear of the slide on the Kahr catches on my pocket every time, while the Colt will slip right out(now that the hammers bobed).

kahr6.jpg

I have avoided the PM-9 for a long time. I felt that it built to close to the "edge" has I call it. Full power round, tiny pistol. That ended when I got a realy good deal this winter. I finaly took it out to the range today. It was used, but I did a 200 round break in just in case. No issues, no failures. I have XS big dots sights on it and shot both the flush mag and the +1. It's a ok pistol for me. The grip is to short for my taste leaving only 2 fingers holding on. With the +1 mag you get all three fingers on it, but the butt is still not supported has well as I would like. The result is a differant feel then from the "full sized" P-9, it doesn't point has well. Would be nice if Kahr gets out a wrap around mag extension like the Walther PPS.

kahr4.jpg
Kahrpvspm1.jpg

Bottom line. The PM-9 is harder to shoot well then the P-9, is not much easier to conceal the the P-9, while being harder to draw due to the reduced size of the frame. The up side is I can use the PM in a pocket holster which suprised me. Will I keep it yes. Is it my top pick no, the P-9 remains my go to pistol.

For me the draw issue will limit MY choice to either a deep carry pocket holster for Back-up. If I'm going to use it has a primary then it would be limited to a on the belt high ride holster under a loose garment. I will be ordering a Mitch Rosen Upper Limit tomorrow:
upl.jpg

If you go the revolver route I second the Ruger SP101 2.25 in. hammerless (dao). .357mag over any thing else new on the market.

Last edited: