Stupidest Reason You Ever Bought A Gun?

magsnubby

Back in the early 80's i bought a Charter Arms Undercover i absolutely didn't want. I talked my brother-in-law out of it so he couldn't shoot his estranged wife. It took alot of beer and alot of talking but he finally agreed he didn't really want to shoot her so he sold me the gun.

It turned out to be a neat little gun. Between me and my dad we put about a zillion rounds through it before he finally retired it for a little Colt D (?) frame.

Brian41

When i turned 21 my reason was, i'm 21 i've been saving for a year to buy a handgun today, so i'm going to do it. (not such a bad reason i dont think) BUT when i got my ruger p89 my dad became very interested in shooting, so he purchased a bersa thunder .380, then a Ruger p90. The next time we went into our local gun store together (on the way home from the range where i had just fired the bersa for hte first time) i saw a used bersa series 95 .380 for 120 bucks. my reason (and i verbalized this at the time) If you can have 2 guns and mom not be mad, i can have 2 guns and mom not be mad!!
worked for me!

Slash in NC

Frankly I didn't just buy a gun for no reason. I bought a gun store. No really,
I was kind of helping out when they were short handed and they thought I'd make a great addition to the team. Before I knew it I was filling out FFL paperwork for the BATF :) 3 years later and I'm having ther time of my life.

Kayser

Eaaaasy. I just did it.

I play a lot of video games. I've played Counterstrike for years. This past weekend I got a hankerin for a Desert Eagle. I was due for a luxury buy. So - ding - I won an auction on gunbroker. It oughta be arriving early-to-mid next week.

Whee!

wayneinFL

posted by mister2:

"Went to store and bought gun on a lark. Got home and found the gun to be POS for the price. Searched all over and bought another to lower my average price."

mister2, don't feel bad. I have 2 glock 20's in my safe for exactly the same reason.

Stupid reason 1: Bought the first Glock 20 on Gunbroker, not because I needed it, but because it just seemed really cheap.

Stupid reason 2: I didn't have a Glock 20

Stupid reason 3: Saw another one on the internet like new, cheaper than the first. Bought it so I wouldn't feel like I screwed myself on the first one.

Disadvantage: Man, did I feel like a dumbass.

Advantage: I have two identical guns I can clean in the kitchen sink, and my wife still thinks I only have 1 glock.

Now, if I could think of a stupid reason to buy a S&W 610- I'm loading 10mm anyway....

SauerAttitude

I bought a Sig P226 first, then a P239, then a P229. Next was a P229BN, then a P220ST, then a P226ST, then a P228 Camo.
The stupidest reason I can think of is that it was the best way to get rid of money I didn't have :D

para.2

I bought a Beretta 92 because I got a cool holster for one in a trade. Couldn't have an empty holster, y'know! :p

Socrates

"My name is Bond, James Bond."

I bought a Walther PPK/S in 380. Darn thing was beautiful, but for concealed carry, well, it was a 380. It was really heavy, 32 oz, not much for Mr. Bond, but, at 150, it was a pain. Lord, 380 was both expensive back then, and, a real pain to reload. You needed tweazers.

Went to a Detonics Mark 6, and never looked back.

s

Lt102

I am of the opinion that there are no stupid reasons to buy a gun, any reason is good enough for me...sun came up today I think I'll go bu a new gun.

Socrates

the topic is stupid reasons you bought a gun. What Bond used, is the stupid reason.

I wish I would have bought the original Bertta 22lr that was replaced by the Walther.

s

U.F.O.

No Socrates, I'm with ya. I hear what you're saying.....that Bond shot a PPK and you bought one for that reason. I just though it was kind of "double" funny that you made, as the thread topic stips....a self professed "stupid gun purchase" and you also bought the wrong caliber in the process. :) I'm laughing with you on this Socrates! (I hope) This would be somewhat akin to someone wanting a .44 magnum like Clint Eastwood carried after watching "Dirty Harry" on T.V and running to the local FFL for a Ruger. :D

U.F.O.

U.F.O.

Interesting trivia for anyone who did buy a S&W Model 29 (Dirty Harry Special) .44 Magnum after watching the movie. The handgun that was actually used for the filming of Dirty Harry was a .41 Magnum, not a .44 Magnum. :eek:

U.F.O.

Socrates

"No Socrates, I'm with ya. I hear what you're saying.....that Bond shot a PPK and you bought one for that reason. I just though it was kind of "double" funny that you made, as the thread topic stips....a self professed "stupid gun purchase" and you also bought the wrong caliber in the process. I'm laughing with you on this Socrates! (I hope) This would be somewhat akin to someone wanting a .44 magnum like Clint Eastwood carried after watching "Dirty Harry" on T.V and running to the local FFL for a Ruger. "

I'm old, and my mother was a single mother, and teacher for 35 or more years.
Sean Connery was my male role model, after Dad departed.

Sucks, but, I'm not lying....
s