Strong 1911 Needed. Recommendations ???

guntotin_fool

Go out and find a decent Colt series 70. add a better grip safety and ext trigger. Add night sights or just high vis sights, all you need. Way less that 1200 bucks, scrub up that desert warrior and get a grand for it and then buy two colts.

I have a commander and a gov't that are regular shooters, both A# series 70's with a trigger, beavertail and sights, both running about 100,000 rounds. Maybe more, that is 2-400 rounds a week pretty much every week for a long time. About twice a year i buy a spring kit for each and new shock buff about every month or so when they look tired.

Socrates

Jeepmark2005:
I've got two kimbers. Custom II and an Ultra Carry II.
Busted the safety on the Ultra Carry II, and the slide stop on the Custom II. Bought Ed Brown parts, as many as they would sell me over the phone for both.
Took the guns to Jack Huntington, had him work his magic, and the guns came back able to shoot 45 Super, with all Ed Brown parts, except for one addition: Jack, at no charge, found a Colt forged, slide stop, and put it in the Ultra Carry II(Ed Brown didn't have one that would fit). It's the wrong color, but, keep in mind, Jack is a certified gunsmith, with a degree in gunsmithing from Lasson. He also worked for Colt for 9 years, and, more then knows his way around 1911's.
I think that's about all I need to say about MIM parts from Kimber. I did go in, knowing that they were questionable, but, for the money, and at the time, I think S&W was making the frames, slides, and barrels. All excellent quality, and, for what I paid for the guns, I figured I could put all Brown parts in, and still be ahead of the custom shops, and, I was right. Both guns are about 1000 bucks, with custom grips, great triggers, and, shoot REALLY well.
Plus, I feel much warmer at night with the 45 super under the pillow, great finish they put on the Custom II, doesn't rust, and, the .510 Maximum within reach...

S

Jeepmark2005

I have a local gun smith Guru available to me here in Houston. I plan to replace EVERYTHING except the slide, frame and maybe the barrel - with Ed Brown parts and have them all fitted. I will have the Guru check the slide and frame prior to fitting my parts. This will be a ground up rebuild. Thanks for the info. Saving my pennies already - Mark