Stripping Down An 1858

Low Key

Kevin, heres a picture of my knife and of course the new 58, the lighting's a little better in this shot than in the first one I posted of the new refinish job. My knife is an edgemark too but made in Brasil, probably a cheaper version of yours, lol, the blade is not real thick so it's not really a heavy duty tool but it looks good and will do some serious cutting as long as you don't use it for a prybar :p

knifeand58.jpg

Remington kid

Started on this knife about 2 years ago after spending some time on a knife making site.Bought the flat stock steel 3"x18"x1/4" from a knife steel company in Ind. Layed out the design I wanted and started grinding a little at a time while keeping it cool with a steady trickle or water. Lots of file and sanding work and more to go. The back of the knife has a grapevine scroll I put in it with small files and chainsaw files.
The steel has been heat treated in a home made kiln I made and now it just needs alot of polishing .This knife is no toy as you can see:) It's 16.75" long, 2.25" wide and has a 12" blade. The handle will probable be Mastadon and the tang will be brass.
A friend of mine will make me a gun belt, holster and knife sheath all in one for my Remington and this knife when and if I ever get it done:D My reason for such a big kife is several, #1 It makes me feel like a bad ass, I like big knives when running around with Bear and it's nice to have when building a hunting blind or just for servival.
composit1.jpg
[/IMG]

Low Key

Thats a big ol hunk o steel there! I can tell that theres been a lot of work put into that blade, I'm only beginning to learn how much work goes into finishing a piece of metal by hand from the finishing work I've been doing on my Remington. You'll need a good gunbelt to hold all the steel you'll be packing around when you get that finished! :D

Remington kid

LowKey, How is that Remington working for you now? After all the work you put in it it should be really smooooooth operating. Did you lighten the hammer spring any? Got mine down to about #1 1/2 and that's really nice. Made two extra springs the same way right after I got the gun a few years back. This one is the original and still going strong. "Knock on wood":)

Low Key

The 58 is running much smooter now than when I first got it, :) I had to babysit saturday so I didn't get to go out and shoot during the day, but sat. night I tore the 58 down to the last screw and polished everything, chamfered the cylinder a little more and slightly chamfered the ends of the chambers to make loading a little easier and put it all back together. Now when I cock it, there's no hint of grittyness and the trigger pull is smooth as can be. :D I didn't lighten the trigger spring yet, but thats probably going to happen sometime soon.
I got to take it out in the woods and shoot on Sunday. I racked up 24 dead pine cones and sticks that might have been snakes in another life, lol! I may go after a few more this afternoon after work.
Kevin, how's your 58 shooting after chamfering the cylinder ends? Mine's doing much better.