Strange to today's society-places you bought guns from

Kev

My Pops bought a WW2 issue Remington Rand GI 45 out of a pickle barrel in a hardware store for 25 bucks in 1950

Of course the hardware stores, Sears catalogs and other places to buy guns has gone the way of the dodo bird.
But where do you remember buying guns?

Last edited:

CWKahrFan

Speaking of Sears... My first shotgun had a Sears moniker on it but my Dad bought it slightly used for $40 (for me at age 14) at an old-timey combination mechanic-gunsmith-used-car-hangout place on the edge of town. It was a very nifty and tight 20-guage double-barrel which was great for pheasant hunting. It stood upright in my room in a very nice blonde-stained wood gun rack which I designed and made myself... next to my Stevens bolt-action .22 which was my constant companion (along with my wonderful spaniel and sometimes a buddy) on LONG hikes through fields, creeks and woods nearly every day after school in the early 60's.

mikejonestkd

My father bought me my first shotgun at Sheard's Ice cream parlor and gun shop in Bergen, NY......they are still in business after 40+ years.

They still have guns and ice cream....not a bad combo!

Kev

Nice...I'd love to see a pic of ice creams and guns...

This is exactly the stuff I was hoping to read guys!
Classics!

markallen

I have never bought a gun there, but I remember looking at the rifles in our local Western Auto store. I did buy .22 LR ammo there though when I was a kid.

Tom68

My first gun came from Otasco.... A store much like Western Auto. The Mary Carter Paint store in Cullman, AL used to sell guns. Don't know if they are even still in business now.

burrhead

"Of course the hardware stores, Sears catalogs and other places to buy guns has gone the way of the dodo bird."

Depends on where you live. The only local, brick and mortar gun outlet near me is a True Value Hardware store. Fifteen years ago the local grocery store/trading post did transfers.

bledsoeG19

Christmas week I bought my govt model colt series 70 wiley clapp from the hardware store one town north of mine. Yep, they still sell guns. Not next door, in the store. I love it.

Kev

^^^^well I sit corrected^^^^^

I read earlier on here a guy bought his first Hi Standard at a local furniture store.

But now that I think of it, there is a swap meet (indoor) here by Fort Myers that has a guy selling firearms...

Chaz88

Many years ago my dad and grandpa owned a GMC dealership/ auto parts store/ auto shop/ body shop/ auto upholstery shop/ auto machine shop/ gas station/ wait for it... gun store. Took up more than a quarter square block. My first guns came through that store.

crashxl

My first shotgun was a gift from my dad. My grandfather bought it for him from a little mom and pop gas station so he could join the high school skeet team. My dad placed 2nd in the southeast regional skeet meet with that $20 double barrel .410.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389156288.107983.jpg

meanmachine1961

My Dad bought my first handgun, an RG single action .22, at a grocery store/gas station a couple of miles from where we lived in Sheffield, Alabama. That must have been 1973 or there abouts.

RodTheWrench

In Baker City, Oregon - York's Market sells guns. They are kind of a mishmash of convenience store/grocery store/bait shop. I do think these kind of stores only still exist in small towns though.

In Utah/Idaho, CAL Ranch stores have decently stocked gun counters.

I remember my dad buying a 30-30 from a Coast to Coast store in the 70s. Kind of an auto parts/hardware store.

Aaron1100us

I bought a Russian Dragunov Tiger at a garage sale a year and a half ago lol.

Took these pics at the garage sale.

e5azyhas.jpg

ubeqetuj.jpg

ATPBULLETS

Wwow....That's a kool looking gun... Great thread

I remember as a kid going to many different pawn shops... they were and still are places that amaze me... with all the variety of STUFF....:)
and as a kid... I remember the personalities behind the counter...man... the stories I remember hearing as a gun was passed across the counter for my father to shoulder and sight and inspect...:):):)

Nakanokalronin

I watched a video not to long ago of a someone in Canada buying a Tavor at a gas station. It depends on states, but some firearms and ammo can still be bought at hardware stores, it's just not as common as it used to be. I personally don't have an oddball place I've bought a firearm from.