Springfield XD 45....NRA handgun of the year '06

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NRA handgun of the year is the XD 45.:D Looks like the XD series is a proven winner, the XD line also won this award in 2003. The fact that the XD holds 14 rounds of 45 is pretty enticing. Even though I currently own an XD 40 and love it, I've got the itch for an XD 45.

The Body Bagger

SO because one gun rag chose it, its a winner? Sorry but in my real life experiences with my own previously owned XD-40 as well as fellow officers and their XD's, the XD is an over priced over hyped Glock alternative.

If you want my opinion, the Glock is overhyped and overpriced.:p Dollar for dollar, feature for feature, the XD is a nicer gun.:p Glock may have pioneered the polymer pistol, but Springfield took it to the next level with the XD.:D

The Body Bagger

Really I paid $399 for my Gen3 Glock 17. Care to tell me how much you paid for your XD? I know what I paid for mine. BTW look up HS2000 and then tell me how Springfield took it to the next level. More parts, a fragile finish, light strikes, and a higher cost.......what a level.

Topthis

Sorry...gotta chime in!! Personal tastes, that's it. In my collection, you will find a Glock and an XD mixed in with a few others. The one that gets to go to the range is the XD, the one that gets to stay and gather dust is the Glock. Personal taste. I am really blown away at the emotional attachment some folks get to a brand...I wrote a post once back about my buddy who always argued about Glock being the best, most accurate, most reliable...blah, blah. He got it stolen, bought an HK (why not a Glock?) and now says that Glocks suck, seriously suck!, and that the HK is the best, most accurate, most reliable...blah, blah. I think that there are even some folks on TFL that own Hi-Points and think that they are great, maybe even better than a Glock...my goodness, who could ever say such a thing!!!

Doggieman

NRA handgun of the year is a huge selling point for manufacturers, regardless of what anybody thinks of the gun itself. It's the "Academy Award for Best Picture" of the gun world.

Keeping in mind that 14 rounds of 230 gr 45 acp weighs nearly 2/3 of a lb.-- the recoil must be fairly different between first round and last.

threegun

XD is an excellent gun.......but so is my G-21. Why on earth would I change platforms to downgrade slightly? The xd simple cannot fire as quickly with the same accuracy as my G-21 due to its taller slide and higher bore axis. I know how to handle a gun without an external safety, unlike many of you xd guys. Simply put the XD is springfields attempt at making a Glock and the only reason it has taken off is because so many fear a gun with no external safety and grip angle. Once Gaston Glock gets off his butt and produces a gun with interchangeable grip inserts and a stupid external safety XD will be rendered useless.

jailbait

First glock isn't offering 2 high cap mags, a kydex holster and dual mag pouch with thiers. second, the xd is running around $479 plus tax in my area. third, springfield has fixed the flaky finish.

The springfield has the chambered round indicator where you can see it when you pull it instead of it being on the side of the gun like the glock. The Springfield also has the grip saftey, where as the glock has none. Springfield also warranties it for life, not sure if glock does or not, but their customer service is top notch. Plus they are just so much more good looking than the glock.

oh, and did i mention the name? i mean come on... it's a springfield.

Oh the emotion.....

Let's dispel a couple of myths:

1. H&K was the FIRST to make a Ploymer pistol...the VP 70

2. The XD is in no way an attempt to copy Glock...the XD/HS 2000 is a refinement of the best attributes of a Glock, a Sig, and a 1911.

3. Price wise, the MSRP of comparable Glocks is higher, and street prices of comparable Glocks are no different for the XD.

That said, they are both good weapons (I own both), and it's nothing more than personal preference when it comes to choosing which one. Is the XD better than Glock? Who knows...there are some features in the XD that make it more attractive...but better....no; is Glock better....no
;)

Eleckster

oh, and did i mention the name? i mean come on... it's a springfield.

I am new to this forum and not sure if you are joking or not, but you do realize that Springfield only imports this pistol?

I have, and like, both pistols.

FirstFreedom

Once Gaston Glock gets off his butt and produces a gun with interchangeable grip inserts [....] XD will be rendered useless.

If that's true, then until Gaston does so, the Glock is rendered useless, with its ridiculous unnatural grip angle. And since he won't ever do this, the Glock is and will always be rendered useless with the advent of the XD. People don't "fear" the unnatural grip angle, they DISLIKE it because its a poor design not in touch with human anatomy. Actually, it won't matter whether there are interchangeable grip inserts, because that doesn't change the fundamental wrong angle.

And what in the heck are you talking about, external safety? The XD has no external safety either. So that's certainly not why it is succeeding and allowing Springfield to charge more for their gun than the non-innovating gluck pistol.

I paid $469 for my XD 40, the Glock's out here in Colorado are running $550-$600.:p I didn't even look at the glock when I bought my XD, as soon as I handled the XD, the ergonomics of it had me sold.:D Besides the fact that I cannot get past the god aweful looks of the Glock, the XD won't win a beauty contest either, but its better looking than the glock.

Harley Quinn

Who actually makes the XD

With all the hype, it would be interesting to know who makes it.

Grips are like handle's on a hammer, lots of different designs and lots of different hands to go around them. One does not fit all.

I have been shooting a mdl 17-L Glock for 20 years now. It is of the older design and it is very comfortable to shoot.
Fat chubby hands or thin skinny ones, strong hands vs weak hands. I guess it is what you have and the way it fits (or a preference).

One handed or two handed the pistol points well, and shoots very tight groups.

I would say the grip safety is considered external on the XD and the trigger safety also (glock has the trigger finger one).
Suggested retail $559.00, Bi Tone (not two tone LOL) $625.00, a loaded chamber indicator is a nice touch, IMO.

Since I have not shot the XD I cannot comment on it, looks nice though and I like the extra safety and the chamber indicator.

We will see how long they (xd) stay in the forefront of pistols. The Glock has been there since they came out over 25 years ago.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

HQ

USMCGrunt

First off, the low bore axis issue is so slight to be a non-player here. A few years ago I ran several of my full size .45 autos including a Glock 21, USP-45, Sig P220, Ruger P90, EAA Witness steel frame, S&W SW99 and a 1911. While the Glock did shoot a little faster than the rest (BTW, be it of the bench or at speed during an El-Presidente drill with several shooters of varying shooting experience, the Glock groups were nothing to write home about especially when compared to the HK or Sig) we're talking only like 2-3 hundreths of a second. While there is less muzzle flip, most shooters commented that it was more of a jarring recoil. Low bore axis is overblown.
Second, you say that you know how to handle a firearm without a manual safety. Hmm, wasn't it a Glock that the DEA agent shot himself with all while making claims that he was the only person in the room that was professional enough to handle that firearm? Pride go'eth before the fall.
Third, Glock can't even get around to updating their webite (what was that program written on Gaston, a Commadore 64, an Apple IIE or something? Was "Oregon Trail" or "Pong" the top games of the day? How about a hint here!) much less come out with anything new since their development other than a couple finger groves, a rail and an odd-ball caliber that has the makings of being about as popular as the .41AE in 10 years with the only factory ammo being manufactured by Norma for a buck a round! How long have rumors been going around about what's going to be new coming out from Glock? Rumors about a carbine or a 4th Generation Glock design have all been nothing but talk and rumors, smoke and mirrors. Glock made a reliable serviceable pistol, sold it at a very cheap price to LEOs to flood the market with his product and then has sat back on his laurels and has done nothing of significance since.

Silvanus

I must warn you that this is only my opinion and very subjective, but I do not like the XD at all. I don't really know why but it just doesn't feel right and comfortable in my hands. And - to me - it's ugly. And all this talk about safety annoys me, too. Does anyone really think that a Glock isn't "safe enough"? I don't even want to know how you handle your handguns. A loaded Glock never really scared me and I never had an unintentional discharge. Just keep your finger of the trigger...
Before I get flamed, keep in mind that I did not say the XD is a bad gun.
I just prefere Glocks (and about every other handgun in the market;) ).

Springfield took it to the next level with the XD.
That one really made me laugh out loud:D I can understand that you are all proud of the great 1911 (this is meant seriously, the 1911 IS great) but come on...just because it's a "Springfield XD" it's not American:D

threegun

And what in the heck are you talking about, external safety? The XD has no external safety either.

Sorry I thought the grip safety was on the "external" part of the gun LOL.

People don't "fear" the unnatural grip angle, they DISLIKE it because its a poor design not in touch with human anatomy.

Please excuse the poor grammar. I meant people fear a gun with no external safety. This and grip angle are the two reasons for springfields popularity.

USMCGrunt, When you are looking for the best tool to do the job, slightly better is still better. Those hundredths could mean the difference in winning or losing. Just because you prefer the XD doesn't mean that what I said was wrong. Heck you own studies confirmed it. I wanted the best combination of what I believe wins gunfights in my combat handgun to give myself the best chance of staying alive. Speed weights in higher than tack driving accuracy in my formula. This is why the XD has no chance of unseating Glock as my fighting handgun. Your priorities might be different. Still the Glock is faster, just as accurate, and has a longer track record of perfect reliability.

RonC

As has already been mentioned in this thread: it's all personal preference.

I had a Glock 26 and 36 when I bought an XD40. The XD40 pointed much more naturally for me. The Glocks weren't bad, and I had lived with them for some time. However, after a few months with the XD40, I sold both of the Glocks. The XD Service model is the most comfortable gun I have ever held and I shoot it more accurately than I ever have a Glock. But, then, that's just me.

Ron

JOEZ WHALES

Just purchased one yesterday...:) I hope to shoot it this weekend...

It is a matter of preference...The glocks just don't seem to fit my hand right.

cabbit10

I think a lot of the XD bashers are reacting to the Hype, not the weapon itself.

Whenever someone declares something as "Best Ever" it's a pretty strong statement, not to mention a severe logical fallicy... :rolleyes:

It's a great gun, don't bash it due to overzealous marketing.

I bought mine because it was the highest capacity .45 I could find that would fit my hands, and had a comfortable grip. I also like the looks of it too and it's relatively inexpensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.