Springfield EMP 9mm 1911

auto45

I'm glad they came out with it, but I do wish they had scaled down the slide also.

Smaller grip will be good for some, but it's still a 45 slide on top.

CDH

I agree with you there. My primary carry pistol now is a Commander LW and it conceals easily in most instances.

However, being in Houston, it gets really HOT and there are days when I would go naked if I could. Well, I know I could, but that's not politically correct anymore either. But I digress...

On those days when I dress as light as I can, the Commander just won't work so that's what the Walther has been for. I sort of think like you but went in another direction in that I considered the Defender, but realized that I could actually conceal the Commander LW just as easily in most cases.

So my intent isn't to use the EMP as a main carry pistol, but rather, to replace the smallest piece I have with something in 9mm; the EMP.
I find that the main reason that the Walther is as easy to hide as it is, is because of how flat it is. If the EMP turns out to be nearly as flat, then I'll end up with what I was looking for all along.

I just wish the darn thing didn't have to cost what it does. Even though Bud's price is well below "recommended MSRP", it's still a pretty pricey item at $960 something.

Carter

smince

I like to carry IWB, and my biggest problem with the Walther is all the rough edges. My side looks like I've been in a briar patch after a day with the PP in an IWB. But, like I said, the Defender and the Walther conceal about the same FOR ME.

Shorts

Great comparison and #s CDH. I can seriously compare the EMP to my Beretta 86. Someone mentioned 'rough edges', I've got a few protruding or sharp parts that dig my side as well.

I've got something new to think about now.

CDH

Great comparison and #s CDH. I can seriously compare the EMP to my Beretta 86. Someone mentioned 'rough edges', I've got a few protruding or sharp parts that dig my side as well.

I have to say that issues like that have never bothered me because I won't carry if I don't have the "right" holster for a pistol.
In my case, the right holster for IWB carry MUST be made so that the IWB holster has the extended piece of leather than stays between the pistol and my oh-so-tender skin.
For example, one of the holsters I have for my Commander LW is the Ken Null "GBS" holster (designed to be worn at 2:00). This is a great carry option at times because this holster keeps the grip of the Commander exactly parallel with my belt and barely above it. It conceals a LOT better than I thought it would at first.

You have to look VERY closely at the photo of it on the website, and it you look at the area around the top of the slide and hammer on the 1911 that's shown in the holster, you can barely see that there is some leather that extends just a little beyond those parts of the pistol.
No matter how sharp any edges are on any pistol used in a holster with this feature, you'll never feel 'em.
Go here to Holsters/InsideWaisband, and then click on the one on the left which is the GBS holster to see what I mean.
http://www.klnullholsters.com/

Many other holster makers make IWB holsters with this feature as well, and I won't own one that isn't made that way because not only is there the "sharp corner" issue, but I want a barrier to keep me from sweating on my pistol as well.

Carter

Shorts

I agree on about having the right holster. I started making my own when I had a hard time finding a specific holster for the 86. I've got a nice pattern down for that pistol and like you mentioned, includes the extended flap between the body and the gun. That holster has been much more comfortable than the previous one.

The first holster I purchased off the shelf for a "med sized" semiauto so, not model specific it had some shortcomings.

Being I'm a 5'3" female, my torso is short so anything on my waist I carry high for concealability (OWB), but I also now have a hammer jamming my lower ribs :eek: A good holster makes all the difference.

Gunme

Comparison between Springfield Armory EMP and Kahr P9

I wanted to compare these two guns because they are both in my opinion ideal for conceal carry. I use to carry the P9 and will continue to off and on depending on what I’m wearing and how I want to carry it. It is easier to carry in pockets since there is no chance of it snagging on anything. Also, it is very light. While the P9 is noticeably lighter at 17.7 ozs compare to the EMP at 23 ozs, they both pretty much feel the same during holstered carry. Both are very accurate and I am able to easily keep shots in a 3” circle at 40’ shooting off hand. It’s just that I can do it faster with the EMP since it has a more manageable trigger and the extra weight dampens more felt recoil. Recoil is very light on the EMP mainly because of the heavy bull barrel, dual recoil springs, and strong hammer spring that actually slows the slide travel. The EMP trigger came stock at 5 lbs, but I was able to easily take it down to my preference of 3 lbs. The P9 came with 6.5 lbs and should be left that way since it is a double action only gun with no external safety. Needless to say, the EMP is my main conceal carry gun now. I had a Bladetech 1911 IWB kydex holster that I am now using to carry the EMP. After cutting both ends down to match the length of the EMP, it fits perfectly since all other dimensions are very similar. The EMP is nearly a perfect gun. My only gripe is the rear bottom of the handle. I wish they had made it more contour because the end is a bit sharp. Maybe Springfield or someone could make an adaptor or a more contoured back strap and it will perfect. Still, I like the EMP so much that I bought two from Budsgunshop.com for $1000 each shipped.

Here are the dimensions.

Width .92”
Handle width 1.12”
Slide length 5.52”
Overall length 6.6”
Top of slide to bottom of frame 1.525”
Top of slide to bottom of magazine 5.16”
Bottom of trigger guard to magazine 2.64”
Bottom of beaver tail to bottom rear of handle 2.8”
Middle of trigger to top of back strap 2.61”

Boarhunter

Well, People, I finally gave the gun its first semi-practical tryout...I ran it through a local IDPA match, and these are my thoughts.

I LIKE THIS GUN!!!! I LIKE THIS GUN!!!! I REALLY LIKE THIS GUN!!!!

By way of background, I got it from Larry's Pistol and Pawn in Huntsville, Alabama; he had two priced at $959...I got the first, someone else got the other, and more are on order. The gun was so tight at purchase that I almost questioned whether it was defective (It was not!). The gun has had 400 rounds of Independence brand 115 grain ammo through it, without a single misfeed, jam, or malfunction in the last 300 rounds (the first 100 were a mess as it settled in). Accuracy has been stellar, and point of impact equals point of aim for me and others who have shot the gun. I have cleaned the gun every 100 rounds, and it needs a good cleaning now following the match.

The IDPA match. I am currently classified as a "marksman" (and for those not familiar with that particular designation, it means I am not a spectacular shooter, but neither do I embarass myself at the matches). I am also a Safety Officer, which means I am not likely to shoot anyone else accidentally, and I am pretty good at keeping others from doing so as well.

As nifty as the EMP is as a carry gun, it (and others of its size) would not necessarily be the ideal competitive gun outside of BUG matches. So, as I stepped up to the line to load and make ready, the SO asked in a reasonably nice manner: "Surely, you are not going to shoot that little gun...." Well, I was and I did, and I think I may have impressed some of my fellow shooters (I know I impressed myself, something sometimes easily done!).

I performed with the little EMP as well as I have ever performed with any of my larger, heavier, longer 1911 firearms.

The gun was quick to handle; 100% on the money from an accuracy standpoint; totally reliable; and just felt "right" to shoot. Longer ranges; shorter ranges; tough shots; easy shots; none of this made any difference. Not only did I not feel disadvantaged by the EMP, but frankly had more confidence in it than with my others. And shot at least as well, if not better. All misses, and there were a few, were my own fault.

During the match, the little gun got a lot of attention. Not only its small size was noticed, but also the tremendous fireball that came out of the muzzle with every shot! And although I did not notice the increased muzzle blast of the short barrel, those watching apparently did.

And the most common question asked that night: Nice gun; what kind of Kimber is that??? To a person, they were pleasantly surprised to see that Springfield was the manufacturer.

Anyway, it was a well-received gun and Larry's next order is likely to sell out soon after arrival, I would guess.

In fact, I may need a matched pair.... I guess I need to talk to my bride about that, what with Christmas coming and all....

Boarhunter

Boarhunter

Pleasant surprise today from Springfield.

Less than 3 weeks ago, I placed an order for 3 extra mags for the EMP, and I was candidly told by Springfield that these proprietary replacement mags were likely to take a long, long time to ship since current deliveries were being shipped with new guns. The estimated time for delivery on extra mags was 120 days, according to Springfield....

Ok, I figured, it is what it is. I wanted the extra mags, so I placed my order and then promptly forgot all about it.

Until today, when the replacement mags were delivered to my office. Surprise!

I like the gun, and I like the way Springfield is handling its business.

FYI.

Boarhunter

old_ironsights

MFG MOD CAL OAL BBL H W
Skyy MPX-9 9 5.3 3.65 0.8
Rohrbaugh R9 9 5.2 2.9 3.7 0.91
Accu-Tek BL-9 9 5.6 3 3.65 1
Kel Tec PF-9 9 5.85 3.1 4.3 0.88
Kel Tec P11 9 5.6 3.1 4.3 1
Kahr KP4043 40 6.1 3.5 4.55 0.94
Heritage Stealth 40 6.3 3.75 4.2 1
Cobra Patriot 45 6 3.3 4.74 1
Wilson ADP 9 6.25 3.75 4.2 1.1
Kahr P45 45 6.3 3.54 4.8 1.01
Thomas DAO 45 6.5 3.5 4.75 1
Glock 27 40 6.29 3.46 4.17 1.18
Taurus PT-745 45 6 3.25 5.2 1.125
Steyr S40 40 6.53 3.5 4.6 1.18
Beretta PX4 SC 9 6.2 3 4.8 1.2
Glock 36 45 6.77 3.78 4.76 1.13
Springfield EMP 9 6.6 3 5.16 1.11

Boarhunter

Guys,

Let me give you an update on the status of my EMP front-sight improvement project.

I turned the gun over to my gunsmith and explained that the nuclear front sight was not readily visible and that I wanted to switch to a fiber optic sight. As it turns out, there are apparently no readily-available aftermarket sights as yet. And given that the factory sights ride very low on the slide and are contoured with the slide, modification of aftermarket sights would be difficult.

So my gunsmith modified the existing front sight by drilling out the hole previously used for the nuclear to accept a fiber optic pipe and then milled away a portion of the sight top to allow light to access the fiber optic pipe. Obviously, there are no "elevation" issues since the original sight remains in place.

The end result is a custom fiber optic sight that works very, very well. Right now, I have a lime green insert, but other colors are easily adaptable (I may ultimately insert a blaze orange before all is said and done).

I like the job and I like the results.

Boarhunter

Officer's Match

Yep, on the cover of new American Rifleman.

I think to take best advantage of what that new platform offers, a scandium or aluminum framed version would be sweet.

Boarhunter

Solvability,

Interesting that you should mention that.

I today picked up a Kimber Custom Aegis II 9 mm 1911 with a 5 inch barrel. The Aegis is Kimber's answer to Springfield's EMP, essentially using thinner grips in lieu of the slightly shrunken frame.

After months and months of using the EMP in IDPA competition, I have concluded that the little "pocket gun," at least in my hands, is hard-pressed to keep up with the larger guns. So I have added the Aegis to my collection as my potential future IDPA gun.

The EMP is not being replaced, and it remains my favorite gun, and it will continue to be my daily carry gun, but I am going to give the Kimber a try during upcoming matches.

Boarhunter

scy121

Aegis and EMP

I must be missing something...I have held and fired both the Springfield EMP and the Aegis II. I have read several posts claiming there is a drastic difference in size and that simply is not the case. They are practically the same size and width, the Kimber has a slightly greater length and the Springfield the greater height and the Springfield is approximately an ounce less. As for firing I personally favor the Aegis, but that's just a personal preference, I am perplexe4d why so many see the EMP as revolutionary

Sturmgewehre

I LOVE my EMP! It's by far the best 1911 I've ever owned. What a novel idea, making the grip 13% smaller really was an improvement from an ergonomics standpoint, and a concealment standpoint.

Mine is going to the grave with me!

EMP_target_3.jpg