Speed-Six: The nicest one I've ever seen!

cvb

speed six

have a blue six mag as house and carry gun, wood grips-
dropped it more than once so not as pretty as the other guns.
off and on 12 years running, rust spots on the edges, shoots nice.

rsxr22

you guys have some sexy speed six's!!! Mine was handed down from me from my father and it works great, but is kind of beat up! I normally love guns with a little holster wear, but after seeing these things, i may need to get another

glock199mm

speed six 9mm

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

bbrian

Tell me more

Although I own a GP100, I don't know much about ruger revolvers. The GP seems very reliable, but the trigger is average and it isn't much to look at compared to the six series. How was the quality and the trigger? Why did Ruger stop making these?

Thanks

WVfishguy

This may be an Internet story, but I read Bill Ruger was quoted as saying the company lost money on the Service/Speed/Security Six series.

The wife and I have several old Sixes. We prefer them to the GP-100 - not that the GP-100 isn't a great gun, it's just not as well balanced & smooth as the Sixes. This Security Six is a real keeper:

000_0036.jpg

My wife used this Service Six for her CCW class. She impressed the Hell out of her instructor.

000_0055.jpg

kristop64089

Here are some pics of my Navy issue Speed six. At first glance it looks "typical"
here are just a few of the differences:
- No warning labels
- Govt. Nomenclature
- Color match front sights(color of sight designated caliber, for at a glance selection) There is yellow/white/red. For .38sp/.357mag/9mm. I have the white, and yellow
- Pachmayer grips were included

100_1455.jpg

100_1457.jpg

100_1459.jpg

100_1461.jpg

100_0869.jpg

I have a letter from Ruger, providing production info, and provenance., the Distribution box, all papers, and the original gun box. The gun was "NIB" till I got my mits on it. Now it's had at least 100 rnds thru it.

Sgt127

Since S&W dropped the K frame .357 Magnums...and, added that awful ignition key in the side of the gun, this would be an outstanding time for Ruger to reintroduce the Speed/Service/Security Six series....

breed

i have never cared much for a ruger. but the six series are nice looking and a fine balanced hand gun's. it's hard to under stand why they dropped them. you could not give me a GP or Sp. I'd rather walk around with a brick in my pocket. but with that being said. i think I'll try and find a nice set of speed six's.

Doyle

Kris, your Navy revolver has NIS on its side indicating that it was produced for the Naval Investigative Service - the predecessor to the current NCIS of TV fame. What a beautiful find. That must have been produced for them right before they made the coversion to autos (they now carry Sigs). When I was in the Navy back in the 80's, I recall some of the agents still carrying revolvers. I doubt if any carry revolvers now.

boa2

NIS Speed-Six!

krisstop:

That is a wonderful, NIS Speed-Six you have there! I wouldn't mind having one of those in my Speed-Six collection!:rolleyes:

govmule84

Love mine...

...easy to break down. Never seen a revolver that was so easy to strip and clean - and you can clean and oil dang near EVERYTHING in there.

The gun is ridiculously well-fit, gorgeous, and accurate to beat the band.

It is, however, a heavy sled. (It lives in a shoulder rig...I think my pants would fall down if I put 'er anywhere else.)

I polished mine all up, and threw some beefy grips on 'er. (six bucks from cheaper than dirt! A little oil, and they look great.)

-L

Attachments

• Ruger.jpg
    Ruger.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 72

Deaf Smith

Now if Ruger want's to re-introduce the Speed Six, with all the CCWs in the nation, I suggest the NAVY MODEL! Do you hear Ruger?

I'd buy one in a heart beat. I may pack a Glock, but I sure would not pass up a Speed Six like that.

madmag

Speed Six .357
attachment.php

have lots of guns (including several Rugers). My Speed Six would be about the last pistol I would part with. I think it represents Bill Ruger's best pistol design.

Larger than an SP101
Smaller Than a GP100
Built like a sleek tank.:)

Attachments

• Ruger Speed Six.jpg
    Ruger Speed Six.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 9,839
Last edited:

boa2

That's a "Beauty" you've got there! I agree that the Speed/Service/Security-Six revolvers was Bill Ruger's best design. Also, the Pachmayr Compac grips shown on your Speed-Six, feels the best on my Speed-Six during shooting- and looks great too!:)

Don P

My wife used this Service Six for her CCW class. She impressed the Hell out of her instructor

The wife was fortunate when she qualified for he CCW to use and impress the instructor with a 6" Python in blue.:cool:
All the photos of the Six's are beauties and I would like to have one in my safe.

On the SS guns, if you are willing to do some filing sanding and polishing you can get rid of the warnings on the barrel. I did it to my GP100.

kristop64089

Thanks for all the compliments guys.

Slicer, if ya don't mind me asking, how much did ya pay for your GS32, and what all did it come with?

mathman

WOW!! I like my GP100s, but these are really nice!

Where is a good place to look for these? Gunbroker...and just hope to get lucky? Or is there a better place to find these?

I'm hooked and I haven't even picked one up!!

bamaranger

BTW

Back when revolvers ruled, our academy did a side by side using service ammo for strength and durability, consisting of shooting the things 'till they broke.

The Ruger 6's outlasted everything else on a comparable frame.

By a lot.