Something goes bump in the night what do you take to investigate?

You hear a bump in the night what do you take to investigate?

• Rifle

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Shotgun

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • Handgun

Votes: 94 72.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

meatgrinder42

It would probably be the 1911 because it sleeps in my nightstand. The 870 is my bird gun and has a 30'' barrel on it so it would be too long to swing. So it would no doubt come down to my .45 1911 loaded with 230 FMJ.

here you here noises in the dark its pretty stupid to take a handgun. shotgun with buck or slugs or a carbine.
Wandering around with a handgun in the dark and a flashlight will just get your ass killed.

Why would taking a handgun be stupid? I just have to wonder. A handgun is a close proximity weapon. And if a handgun is a poor choice in your opinion I'd like to know the justification for a carbine.

There should be no 'wandering' around the house, if you live there you probably have the floor plan memorized. And walking around your house in the dark with another possibly armed person without a light sounds like a much dumber idea.

thallub

Been there, done that-twice. i'm not going to "investigate". i'll sit tight; if there is an intruder and he comes to my location i'll deal with him then.

BillCA

There is a big difference between something that goes bump in the night and knowing there is likely an intruder in the house.

That bump in the night could be a wind blown drape knocking over something on a table, some outdoor item - broom or rake - that finally falls over or any number of similar false-alarms. Hearing glass break, the screech of breaking wood, footsteps and/or voices calls for a very different response.

I think many/most of us, responding to an "odd, unknown sound" at night would take a handgun for its ease of use if we were unsure if it was an actual break-in.

When real intruders are known to be present, if you can "fort up" inside a bedroom that's your best bet. For some, this isn't possible in order to protect other family members so their response will differ.

bigkrackers

This:
4b499f87-b640-17b4.jpg

It's rechargeable so as to be environmentally friendly.

Just kidding. A friend of mine got that for Christmas from his dad.

I take my little P145 and a small tactical flashlight.

Brit

Glock 19 from bed side table, surefire flash light. If some one in house, I am upstairs, first sight of person coming up stairs, is mine!

It has happened once in the 5 years we have lived here, noise, thought some one was attempting to enter, some one did yank screen door open.

More than two Deputy's arrived in 6 minutes. No one seen "Good night, thank you" Dispatch was quite concerned that Glock stayed up stairs, when I went to open door down stairs. Smart Lady.

Hal

Interesting.....
70 responses so far and 0 for a rifle.

I'd have though some of the more rural dwellers would have opted for a rifle or carbine.

kraigwy

70 responses so far and 0 for a rifle

OK, I'll say Rifle.............sometimes, depending on the bump in the night. House? My 642.

But I live in the country, If its my horses throwing a fit, or chickens, I'd go the rifle route, but any thing else would be my 642.

Lots of things go Bump in the Night. I've investigated to find deer on my back porch raiding my wife's bird feeders. Turkeys too, but they don't run around much at night.

One night I was going to a rifle match in Lander. I got there the night be fore and parked my camping trailer just out side the gate to the range. This was my first trip and didn't know the area.

Sometime in the middle of the night something kept banging against my trailer, even rattling the door. I got up to investigate, when I openned the door my CT sights lit up the nose of a horse. Turns out I set up in someone's horse pasture. I will admit it scared me poopless until I found out what it was. After that I joined the club, got a key and parked inside the range complex.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Rifle only if it's day time and it's outside. Then it will be my 32 Win Spcl for a whole lot of reasons. All of them having to do with familiarity, ability to mount quickly and get an accurate shot off. If something or somebody gets hit with 170 gr of SP the chances are it won't need a lot more hitting.

Skans

Handgun. Easy to get to. Easy to use. Easy to snuggle with when I'm done searching my house.

Dwight55

That's really an easy one, . . . I don't.

Should someone be stupid enough to break into my house, . . . he/she is not possible to be more than 2 rooms and/or 40 some odd feet from me, . . . sitting up in my bed, . . . 1911 in hand, . . . awaiting for the silhouetted image to come near my bedroom door.

I will call out and assure the perp that there is nothing in my house worth his/her life, . . . while my wife is on the phone to LEO.

I will also not leave the full security of my bedroom where my AR, . . . 1911, . . . and assorted other long and short guns abide. I probably could, . . . but if I do, . . . and the perp guesses right when I guess wrong, . . . there are no "do-over" buttons on my one life console.

The worst he can do is set the house on fire, . . . I will be able to get out, . . . and he just may not.

Bumps can also be made by one of two, . . . three, . . . or more perpies, . . . they can come to me, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

stevelyn

Depends on the time of year. Summer through mid-October it's either a 12ga w/ Brenneke slugs or a .375 H&H. I have chew marks on my house windows and siding and smokehouse from the bears.

Jack_Bauer24

Should have listed a sub-gun in your poll as a suppressed UMP45 SBR would be what I would take. No flash to blind me and very little noise to deafen me.

Single Six

In the case of the bump in the night, I grab my usual bedside weapon, a Ruger P-90. It may well be everything it's detractors claim [overly bulky, not a 1911, blah, blah..:rolleyes:], BUT, it's ultra-reliable, tough as nails, and as accurate as can be.

Onward Allusion

CMichael
Why?

I would use a handgun indoors and maybe a long gun outdoors, but I would generally NOT investigate outdoors as I live in a subdivision and my house is 25 feet next to my neighbors.

In general, long guns are unwieldy indoors with hallways and corners. This is less of the case with pistol grip carbines or pistol grip shotguns, but I would not use long guns even in the preceding configuration indoors unless I am barricaded behind a door.

hermannr

Depends if it is human or animal. Dog tells me which. I both cases, dog first, followed by me with a 1926 .38 Colt Officers model, if human. A Win 1897 12 ga if animal.

So far it has always been animal (bears), except for one case where the neighbor need help. Dog, indicated human, not a threat for her even though she had her dog with her.