Something goes bump in the night what do you take to investigate?

You hear a bump in the night what do you take to investigate?

• Rifle

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Shotgun

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • Handgun

Votes: 94 72.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

J A

Both revolver and shotgun sort of

The 686 and 870 are both one step from the bed. The 686 goes with me. The wife is in charge of getting to the safe room with the 870, cell phone and any guests we might have staying with us. I hope we never need this drill.

motorhead0922

Taurus PT92 with 15 hollow points, in a V-Line box in a bedside drawer.

Because my Mossberg 500 won't fit in the drawer, and I can't have the grandkids finding a loaded shotgun under the bed.

Pilot

Full size 9MM Handgun as that is what I keep at bedside, either a CZ-75B or Browning Hi Power. Plus a large dog of the hunting variety.

Shooting rifles, or shotguns in the house would not be good for my hearing, and also may disorient me. A blast from a full size 9MM is not nearly as bad.

Buzzcook

I let my dog tell me whether I should call the cops and grab the shotgun or roll over and go back to sleep.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
I live in the woods and there is no telling what I might find, shotgun covers all contingencies no matter what the bump was. Rifle shooter by choice and handgun shooter by training but at dark thirty in the morning Mr. Mossberg just seems to be more practical.

kelo4u2

BUMP

If it is in the house and the dogs are not barking then they are safe if dogs are barking then they will be hearing Mr 10MM say hi

zincwarrior

Pistol.
My Kimber Ultra Carry is always handy, and I am very familiar with it.
Now that doesn't mean the proverbial shotgun, rifle, and four wheel drive aren't available for a more riot oriented situation, but the goto is always the Kimber.

shurshot

I pull the covers up close, and send the little woman down stairs to investigate. If she yells, "it" will leave, trust me...LOL!

Seriously, 9 MM Taurus 99. 25 years old, still going strong, never had a burp, shoots everything.

Swampghost

When the kids were in the house (a ranch/split type) it was a Mossberg pistolgrip shotgun. With small shot it is less likely to penetrate two layers of drywall.
Kids are now long gone and my first grab is a S&W 9mm. It WILL go through walls and we are one, don't be the noise in a dark room or on the other side of a wall.

BillCA

For almost 18 years we never gave it much thought. For anything that went bump in the night, the first responder was an inquisitive and noisy 85-90 pound Doberman. :eek: If'n someone had gotten in, when the dog showed up he'd be wantin' out right quick. :cool:

Today, sadly, we don't currently have a spam-fed, gas operated semi-automatic alarm and shredding system. Typically, there's a 9mm S&W 3914NL near by and a S&W Model 67. Either one is sufficient to investigate an unusual noise or bump. However, voices, footsteps, breaking doors or glass causes me to bring out the 21-inch 20-gauge 870 loaded with #2 buck, plus 3 more rounds and 3 slugs.

jgcoastie

Here's My Timeline...

- *Bump*
- 4lb Yorkie goes crazy barking because she's scared of her own shadow.
- 100lb Doberman wakes up on high alert and what appears to be a direct injection of a 40oz mug of expresso. Gives a warning roar/bark/woof (scares the crap out of me when he does this, glad he's on my side because the bark is downright terrifying and the bite is definately worse) and sets off to investigate and make sure kids are ok.
- I wake up, grab 1911 & flashlight. Wife is awake and grabs cell phone and lays her 9mm on her lap.
- I go clear the house. (Before some expert chimes in and tells me that clearing the house is a bad idea; my kids' rooms are on the other side of the house. To hell with 'expert' theories. I search and clear unfamiliar commercial ships for a living, I think I can handle my own house.)
- Doberman joins me in my clearing, a step behind me and to the side.
- All secure, let the Doberman outside to take care of his bladder and let him have a look around the house.
- Let him back in and go back to bed.

radom

here you here noises in the dark its pretty stupid to take a handgun. shotgun with buck or slugs or a carbine. F-105 with naplm would be better but cant do that now. Wandering around with a handgun in the dark and a flashlight will just get your ass killed.

Hal

Even though it could be any of the three, I picked a handgun.
I only picked that becase that's what I had in hand the only time I ever investigated a sound in the night & felt the need to be armed.