So you want a cap and ball revolver?

Fingers McGee

Hawg said:
It's not necessary to raise it straight up, a few inches is all it takes and a little tilt to the right helps too.
And if you're using the optimum cap/nipple combination and have filled the hammer slot, you don't need to tilt it up at all.

45long

It's not necessary to raise it straight up, a few inches is all it takes and a little tilt to the right helps too.

This is true. Up and tilt to the right . Not exactly straight up . I forget sometimes that you have to be exact on these threads.:cool:

45long

And if you're using the optimum cap/nipple combination and have filled the hammer slot, you don't need to tilt it up at all

Like I said, been shooting BP for 4 decades now , and one thing I can tell you
for sure, most of the time your stuck with the caps you can get ahold of.....

and all of the time ,it doesn't matter as long as your having fun.:D

lobatebaka

blackpowder basics

great piece of sharing your wisdom with a newbie like me, now if I could just find out more about the conversion cylinders for a 1858 Remy

Gatofeo

No.
Caps require percussion for ignition. Squeezing the cap's sides in a bit won't cause ignition.

The late gun writer Elmer Keith (1899-1983), in one of his books, wrote that he raised a blister on his thumb by trying to force a too-small cap onto the nipple of a revolver.
I doubt this very much.
Keith was prone to exaggeration, to be kind.
I knew a woman years ago, in northern Idaho, who was once married to the game warden shoe jurisdiction included the area of Salmon, Idaho. Keith was a resident of Salmon for many years.
When I asked her one day if she'd ever met Keith her response was "That old windbag? Yes, I met him many times! Walked around with two sixguns all the time."
She said the community considered him eccentric for his open carry. And residents took what he told them with a bag of salt.
But if you read the books and magazine articles about Keith, you get a very different picture.
I worked with this woman, my source. She was not prone to exaggeration, was a grand ol' lady and I believed her. Later, I talked to a shopkeeper in Salmon. When I mentioned Keith, he rolled his eyes and got quiet.

Soooooo ... I rather doubt Keith's claim that he ignited a percussion cap by pushing it onto a nipple. I've never heard of this happening, though anything is possible I suppose: Mastodons could fly, the Earth is cube-shaped, and women regularly understand the concept of stop signs at 4-Way intersections.
Anything's possible!

Rigmarol

I have met two separate men who both showed me their scarred thumbs. The scars looked almost identical. Both claim to have opened up their thumbs by pressing on a cap and it went off. Both now use a tool to seat their caps. One used a wooden dowel with a leather handle and the other used a carved antler or horn.

I'm a believer that it's probably not a good idea to seat caps with my thumb.
Squeezing is commonly done and I do it too to help keep caps in place.

There are those who claim it's dangerous but I say it's ok as long as you aren't seating squeezed caps with your thumb.

Last edited:

45long

For hunting

For hunting I agree with using sandbags for practice. Any good handgun hunter should make use of a tree, log, or anything they can use in order to get a steady,clean,humane, shot on an animal..Save the offhanded shots for the Animal that's 10 feet in front of you. That's my outlook on it. Good Article

Model12Win

I have heard it's bad to squeeze the caps into an oval shape.

When this is done, it creates two gaps when the cap is put on the nipple, and flames can get through these caps and possibly cause a chain fire.

It's always best to get caps that FIT YOUR NIPS if you will! :D

Doc Hoy

Only chainfire event I have ever had

Occurred in the same shooting sequence in which I pinched some caps.

Don't know if that was the cause of the chainfire but I personally think it was. I haven't pinched caps since.

hvymax

I may have missed it but my friend who shoots NSSA matches noticed that the 44 cylinders are smaller than the bores. He reams the cylinders out to bore diameter which accurizes them considerably.

maillemaker

I may have missed it but my friend who shoots NSSA matches noticed that the 44 cylinders are smaller than the bores. He reams the cylinders out to bore diameter which accurizes them considerably.

This is said to be sometimes true, but I have not found it to be true for any of my BP guns, neither Pietta nor Ubierti. All were purchased within the last 2 years.

An easy way to tell is this:

Load a ball into an empty chamber. Unscrew the nipple, and use a thin dowel (you can use a nail) to pound the ball out of the cylinder, using a block of wood with a hole in it to support the cylinder and allow the ball to drop out.

With the ball out, try to put it down the barrel. If it doesn't fit, your barrel bore is smaller than your chamber.

Steve

old fogey

Just finished re-reading this thread (for about the gazillionth time,) and figured that it was pass time to say it : "Thanx Gatofeo!

mykeal

With the ball out, try to put it down the barrel. If it doesn't fit, your barrel bore is smaller than your chamber.
Well, maybe.

It's possible, in fact quite common, that the swaged ball is smaller in diameter than the groove diameter but larger than the land diameter, in which case it would not fit down the bore but would still be inaccurate and leave the bore at reduced velocity.