So Winchester 94 is back and made in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPris

Member Emeritus
The 94 can't be made economically in the SE or Texas because it'd require a total new factory startup, which wouldn't be justified by sales.
The 94 isn't as popular as it once was.

Miroku was already set up to produce leverguns, there was room for limited production of the 94, and that was the simplest and cheapest way for the parent company, FN, to go on a high quality reintroduction.
Denis

Army GI

I disagree entirely!!!!

Does anybody here own a modern American made so-called "Winchester?" The action is made of rocks!

As much as I have respect for the old "American made" Winchesters, I would gladly pay $1000 for a Japchester (not 1200, only fools pay MSRP) just like I would pay $1000 for any good quality American rifle. How much would you pay for an M1A? Or a quality AR15? As has already been mentioned by someone else above, Miroku makes it a point to produce high quality products. I've owned one of the Miroku 1886 Winchesters in 45-70 and the action was as smooth as butter.

And that level of craftsmanship, I believe, pays a better tribute to the "Winchester" name than the horrid post '64 rifles coming out of New Haven. American or not.

FrankenMauser

If it's a Miroku product, it will be a very good rifle.

And... that MSRP is probably going to be $300+ over street price. You're likely to see them between $850 and $900 after a few months on the market. It may be insulting to some nostalgic shooters, but people will buy them.
(Other markets may be a little different. In my area, I can count on seeing firearms at 70% to 75% of MSRP {or less}, as soon as the initial rush is over -- whether that rush is from a long absence from the market, or a new model introduction.)

Miami_JBT

Miroku of Japan makes some very high class guns. I own a number of Miroku made Browning Auto 5 Shotguns and Browning Citori Over & Unders. These are 110% high class guns that equal or exceed my Belgium made Auto 5s.

The hunting market is shrinking. The days of thousands of high school kids skipping school to hunt deer is long gone. Yeah, we have hunting in the USA still but the numbers are shrinking. The majority of people do not buy firearms to hunt anymore. They're bought for self defense and sport shooting (target, plinking, idpa, etc...).

The Winchester 1894 has gone from the realm of everyday hunting rifle to collector class status. The common hunting rifles of my generation aren't lever actions. They're bolts and semi-autos.

I own two 1894s. Both are Rangers; one has a cross bolt safety and the other doesn't. They were bought new at Oshman's and Sport's Authority for under $500. I've hunted with them but that was more of a "I want to play with it". My hunting rig is a Remington 700 in .308 Winchester.... everyone that I hunt with runs a bolt gun. Everyone I see at the local ranges before hunting season are running bolt guns.

The lever action is dead as the main hunting rifle. The bolt will be on the way side also soon. With more and more GIs (I'm one of them) coming home. They want the rifle they carried. That's the AR-15.... hence the huge number of different companies cranking them out. The 1894.... not so much. I don't see people lining up at gun shops to buy 1894s.

Some of the Best firearms I own have "Made in Japan" stamped on them... But $1200 is steep for the "short" model and the "Sporter" at $1,379 is really out of line.. That said, I have never, nor will I ever pay the full retail for a gun.. If you can't find a better deal go elsewhere...

For some people, its tough to get past the history with nations like Japan and Germany.. But in reality... How can I knock a country that makes such fine firearms when I have a Nikon Camera and ride a Yamaha dirt bike?? It would make me a hypocrite...

Yes, I know the history and even have a degree and have taught classes on the subject of American history... I have relatives that fought in both the European and Pacific theaters. I will always, when possible, give the money to American workers, but in many cases its simply not possible...

Marlin was once a viable option but now Remington is doing a darn good job of ruining Marlin...

natman

The Winchester Model 94 is dead. Just like the 1886 and the 1885 are dead. It had a good run of over 100 years, but when USRA went under in 2006 it was gone.

FN/Browning/Winchester has issued nostalgic, high quality and expensive replicas of the Model 94, just like it did with the 1886 and the 1885.

Maxem0815

Well I am not opposed to a 94 made in Japan just not thrilled I would prefer to see American workers building American goods and rebuilding our economy.
Mace

BLS700

I agree that the lever gun is for nostalgia now and essentially that's what they buit it for. It won't move large numbers at any price point because as previously mentioned, it isn't the go-to type of hunting rifle. If you don't like lever guns or western movies you probably aren't buying one. The sad thing to me is not just the made in Japan tag it's the previously mentioned reasons why (i.e. corp tax, etc.) It seems that American gun companies are having more trouble putting out top quality products at reasonable prices. They either have to jack up the price to accomodate the previously mentioned reasons or they have to start cost cutting which can only work so long. Let's face it folks the 94 really had been dead for a long time. This is basically a well made replica. The previous ones were poorly made replicas. I won't buy a new one because it's too much for what it is and I hunt with mine so it's not worth the cash regardless of where it was made.

gaseousclay

Made by the japs and overpriced by winchester. No thanks.

please keep your bigoted comments to yourself, Bamashooter.

I do agree that an American classic should be made here and that the price point is outrageous, but we're also talking about precision craftsmanship when put alongside American made companies like Remington/Marlin, whom we all know have less than stellar reviews when it comes to quality control. so on the one hand, I see a lot of people here complaining about QC for lower priced guns (you get what you pay for), but on the other hand, everyone here complains that the new M94's are too expensive and made in Japan. Would it be any different if they were $1200 leverguns made in Italy (a fascist country during WW2)? I personally have nothing against any firearm made abroad, so long as it isn't China.

thallub

Well I am not opposed to a 94 made in Japan just not thrilled I would prefer to see American workers building American goods and rebuilding our economy.

So would i. However, Winchester went under because of poor craftsmanship and poor quality control at it's US plant.

pgdion

Not interested in any guns of any form made in Japan at any price. For me to buy a gun made outside of the USA, it would have to be a notable gun that was created outside of the USA (ie, Sig, Beretta, Walther, ect.). Just say no to outsourcing with your dollars. It's not even the war thing with me, just IMO, the Japanese have never really made any good guns. I know they can clone anything, but I don't want a clone.

MJN77

FWIW, I own three Mirokuchesters(2 1895s and an 1886 short rifle) and they are spectacular. Fit and finish are flawless. Accuracy is great. Function is smooth. I havn't found a bad thing to say about them yet, except that I could live without the tang safeties. I also have several American made guns (Remington, Marlin, Ruger, real Winchesters) most of the older ones are fantastic. The newer ones......not so much. My Marlin 1895CB is a great rifle, but the action is gritty. My Ruger had to go back to the factory with timing issues. At least the "Japs" have real QC. My point is, I agree that the MSRP of a new "Winchester" is horrible, and I would love to see them "made in America", but they aren't. As for the price, as some have said, you get what you pay for. I still wouldn't pay that much for a 1894, though.

john in jax

Are you sure that's a regular run of '94s and not the super high grade commemorative produced in limited numbers?

American Rifleman had an article about the limited run of super grade commemoratives not to long ago.

John

OJ

I'm surprised at that price - Miroku made some 8000 Winchester 95 rifles in 1995 as sort of commemoratives - half in Grade 1 and half in Hi Grade - prices listed then were $853 & $1360.

Just browsing through GA, I ran across a Hi Grade listed for $1295 - "Unfired, NIB, with manual". I got the impression it was part of the estate of a strict collector and whoever was in charge of the estate was more interested in just getting things done and had no interest in or knowledge of gun values.

I called dealer and found it was meant to be $1395 - he was with customers and would call me back. I sent him and email stating I had no problem with $1395 - his answer was I was a real gentleman and he would split the difference - $1345!!

I got it $15 under original MSRP - my wife was thrilled since she wanted to get me something special for our 25th anniversary six years ago and was frustrated in o ideas - women - gotta love'em - all she got was a little ring and she's convinced she got the best of the deal.

AWINCHESTER95-1.jpg

IMG_1494_edited-1.jpg

WINCHESTER95.jpg

It shoots even better than it looks. As to value for hunting, Teddy Roosevelt preferred the 95 for African hunting - took three in .405 caliber and one in 30-40 Krag. It also lends its flat shape to easy carry in a"holster" scabbard on a saddle more than bolt actions.

The elk rack that was top largest for years was taken with "slabsides" 95 west of Crested Butte, Colorado. At my age, my hunting days are past but I enjoy shooting it regularly at our local range.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.