So, What's the Big Deal With Stainless Media?

Cascade1911

I saw someone mention keeping a magnet handy in case of pins inside the case. I thought stainless was not attracted by a magnet. Am I missing something here? Just interested. Thanks.

IIRC, the 300 series of stainless is non magnetic while the 400 series is.

Most 300 series stainless can be non magnetic while 400 series stainless will be somewhat magnetic. In 300 series stainless the magnetic permeability is controlled by the amount of ferrite vs austenite in the steel and depending on the chemistry of the steel it can be quite magnetic. A common misconception is that 300 series stainless that is more magnetic must have more carbon but actually the reverse is true. Carbon is an austenite former and makes the material less magnetic. (while I'm not a metallurgist I am an engineer in an investment casting foundry and deal with this issue constantly).

Sevens

DiscoRacing said:
100_3087.jpg
Can you fit your grimy thumb in that sonic cleaner?! :eek: :D
(just kiddin', man!)

maillemaker

Discoracing:

Thanks for the link.

What kind of media did you actually buy? There are so many to choose from on that web site.

Thanks!

Steve

DiscoRacing

Sevens... some days I actually have to work:confused:
I mean thats why the digits were dirty:barf:

Steve... Just talk to Kevin...or Kathy... and tell them that you want them to tumbler brass and they will know...

they are cylindrical spheres and are .041 diameter by .265 long

serf 'rett

The Big Deal is it works really well!

Saw the photos of the Lemishine soaked brass, but what was missing was a third set of brass which had been tumbled with water, dish soap, Lemishine and stainless media for 1-2 hours.

If the third group was included - the difference could be easily seen. Been there, done that.

In our shop, we use a magnet to determine if our shaft material is 400 or 300 series.

Any of the metal's folks want to comment on the possible effects of prolonged soaking of brass in an acidic solution such as vinegar, lemon juice, Lemishine, etc.? I left some brass in the tumbler barrel overnight once and the brass was discolored and appeared etched when examined with a 20X loupe.

downlow411

Drying brass

If you want to have dry brass in a couple of minutes, about 30 minutes before you empty your tumbler boil some water in a pot large enough to place your preferred strainer (metal) full of wet clean brass and let the brass heat up for about 60 seconds, remove the strainer with the brass and shake off excess water and when the brass is cool enough to handle there will be no water left.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I wonder if boiling it won't clean it better anyway.... I'm going to try Lemi-shine and boiling water followed by walnut media and Flitz.

Xfire68

Wow Brass Soup! What's for dinner? LOL

I have been using SS media for some time now and have tumbled a bunch of brass in it. I went back to my vibratory tumbler this week as someone wanted dirty brass. I could not just let the brass go out without cleaning it a little and I placed it in there with 50/50 walnut and corncob and after 2 hours I took them out decapped them all and put them in the rotary tumbler and SS media as I was just not going to let them look like that!:barf:

You can't get your brass as clean using vibratory tumblers and corncob or walnut no matter how long you run it in the tumbler.

Is this for everyone? I will say no. First not everyone is reloading lots of ammo and has the time to clean there equipment of the dirt and carbon left on their reloading presses. Corn media does work in those cases. If you want your brass clean inside and out and this can be important in rifle cases? Then you want to step up to the next level of clean and get a rotary tumbler and SS media.

downlow411

OK an update to boiled brass, an alternative

Have finished my third tumbler full of brass,,
1. This works, its unbelievable the dirt that comes out of even pre tumbled (with corn cob) brass.
2. I still have to get a better way to separate the brass and the SSt media
read that faster I will probably buy the media tumbler in the video.
3. I now pre heat the oven to 240 degrees and with the brass in a metal strainer, put in the oven after an hour remove, let cool and you will have spotless dry brass,
you can probably heat for less time will have to experiment with that.
4. I am using a strong magnet to pull the media out of the very dirty water and while still on the magnet rinse and you don't loose any and it is clean.
The media will fall out of the brass with a water rinse if you have a way to tumble .

sonick808

awesome. I just spent 150$ on a really nice hornady vibratory tumbler. haha.

Well, my reloads still work so i guess i'm OK; the aesthetics don't mean all that much to me. only a little :)

I only reload handgun cartridges anyhow. If i were reloading rifle cartridges, I might upgrade anyway.

DiscoRacing

I was just gonna stick with my vibratory....

... but I got some brass from Xfire68....once, twice, three....

....And just had to get a rotary with stainless.... so my rifle brass would quit teasing my pistol brass(about how clean they are)

...I want all my brass to get along:p