So, What's the Big Deal With Stainless Media?

DiscoRacing

I can try for ya Peet... not sure I will have much luck on that one... since its -06 brass is pretty long... will try tho.

... Ill tell ya what tho... this stuff is the bomb for cleanin...lovin it.

DiscoRacing

didnt work very well.. but... the inside is as clean as the pistol brass

100_3081.jpg

100_3087.jpg

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I wish I'd known about this before I bought my tumbler. Seems like "good enough" is truly good enough when the price of upgrade is $200+

DiscoRacing

I hear ya there... was $180.00 for the tumbler model B(which most use I guess) and $65.00 for 10 lbs of stainless media(which is twice what you use for a batch)... but I really like how clean the brass is that I was getting from Xfire68..and wanted my rifle brass to be that clean.

... I dont mind spending a little extra to make it easier for my brass to perform to their utmost abilities to impress me:D

Civil War Life said:
I saw someone mention keeping a magnet handy in case of pins inside the case. I thought stainless was not attracted by a magnet. Am I missing something here? Just interested. Thanks.

It depends on the grade/type of stainless...I think. We have a couple of metallurgists on board here. They might chime in to clarify.

DiscoRacing

Someone send me your dirty brass to polish... Im running out of my own...

I could do it a second time... but its so clean already.:p

capreppy

What quantity of pistol brass is the media & tumbler capable of doing?

Say 500 pieces of .45ACP at a time?

Once done, how long will they stay "shiny". Are they prone to tarnish? What can be done after (or during) to prevent tarnish in the long term?

DiscoRacing

you can do aprox. 750 .45acp at one time..

...as far as tarnish they will still tarnish like if you used any other means of polishing....

..they will stay shiny until they are exposed to the elements
...dirt, moisture, oil,,,etc,,,etc

to prevent tarnish in the long term... buy nickel

Incognito

Here's some pictures of .223

Were these cleaned with SS media? Nope. These were soaked in Lemi-Shine for about 12 hours, then tumbled in walnut for
2.5 hours. Now I'm not saying that SS media is not all it's cracked up to be, I'd love for my vibratory tumbler to blow up in order
to justify getting a rotary. I'm just illustrating that you can achieve comparative results alternatively. BTW, none of the brass
had their primer pockets cleaned besides tumbling.

The four on the left are tumbled (after soaking), the four on the right have only been soaked.
VincentsBento002.jpg

VincentsBento005.jpg

VincentsBento012.jpg

DiscoRacing

I'd love for my vibratory tumbler to blow up in order
to justify getting a rotary.

LoL... Yeah... well... I didnt wait for mine to blow up... I just got the rotary anyway.

(I dont want my guns thinking that Im gonna wait till one blows up, before I buy another one):confused::rolleyes:

Incognito

It's sold as a powder. I use about one teaspoon per quart diluted in very hot water. It seems to loosed up the carbon so tumbling requires less time and works more effectively. You can also use Lemi-Shine in the wet tumbling/SS media method. BTW, you want to dry the brass before tumbling in dry media.

Some people apparently use citric acid or vinegar to do the same thing. I tried the LS and it worked good for me, so it's what I use now.

Incognito

Perhaps I should have put "results may vary" ;)

Don't get me wrong DiscoRacing, I have no doubt that SS media works extremely well, better than any vibratory tumbler with crushed hulls does. My only dilemma is spending the money on something that I really don't need, but certainly would want. Everytime I see pictures of nice shinny pristine brass, it's definitely hard not to be tempted to switch.

Maybe I'm just self justifying for keeping my old "outdated" Harbor Freigh clunker, lol.

DiscoRacing

NO harm, no foul

... Just tried all three...and what they sent me didnt work as well as the soap/juice...

..My reply was only meant to inform:cool: