So much for Colts supposed 1911 superiority!

45_auto

I doubt that my Taurus or Shooters Arms Manufacturing 1911's would have suffered the same fate.

Can you describe the tests?

How did all the other non-Colt pistols in the testing do?

ohen cepel

Need more info to really comment on the test.

However, Colt today is not the same Colt which made the original 1911's 100+ years ago. Things change.

Also, I think the Generals were going to pick Colt no matter what. A General runs Colt now IIRC and I think they wanted a Colt 1911 no matter what.

Stressfire

(it is not clear whether they fired 12,000 rounds each or all together—either way this looks very bad).

Saw a similar post on another forum (different article, same topic) and I'll ask the same thing I did there.

Was there any cleaning or maintenance during this 12,000 round test? Was the ammo exceptionally hot?

I would expect shooting that much with no TLC whatsoever to seriously shorten a gun's service life.

ragwd

Wow, just wow. I dont own a colt but have been wanting one to round out the collection. Whats going on when a new John Deere isnt considered to be a good tractor and now this with Colt. Wow , guess if I buy a Colt or a Deere they will be older ones.

Micahweeks

I've said it before. I don't understand the fuss over Colts. I shot a few and have family that own some. My Spartan has more rounds through it than some of those Colts, and it "looks" like it is taking the beating better. Even my Para GI Expert is performing impressively. Colt just seems overpriced to me considering comparable guns you can get at a lower price point. After these failures, I wouldn't condemn Colt quality on the whole, but I will say they don't deserve this contract.

Without knowing more about the details of the evaluation process I find it hard to bash Colt. Yes the damage looks bad, but the one picture shows a cracked dust cover. This is not a high stress area. Its very possible these guns were beat on pretty bad. The evaluation was between Colt and Springfield, both of whom make very good 1911's. I'm not going to condemn Colt and the military from a short blurb on guns.com.

Denezin

Seems like the steel they are using is too brittle. May need some better tempering to smooth it out. Im a fan of the 1911 and own a good few. But given from what my eyes see thats my best bet on the problem.

Mrgunsngear

I don't have the link but Sturmgewehr (member here) has a pretty detailed article on his site about the testing and failures. When I get to a computer with full internet access I'll try to pull it up and post it.....

vyse.04

It's a pretty safe bet that the military trials are a little different than your average weekend shoot. I'm pretty sure they weren't just test fired, given the application.

Generally the military is more concerned with buying from the lowest bidder, and less concerned with the actual brand name. I'm sure Colt provided something to sweeten the deal, but we can't act as if that never happens in civilian life either. And even then, I don't think the Colts would have been approved if that damage showed up at the 2000 round count. This could end up being a knee jerk reaction to the last run of handgun trials, and we probably won't know that until five or so years down the road.

Still, I think when they start showing up it will be a different story. These are not being issued to all military personnel, so they SHOULD be easier to maintain. Plus given their mission, there is an added level of importance because of the likelihood of having to use it.

militant

I am not biased to either way, but there is a video on YouTube that shows a colt 1911 vs a glock. The test entails the guns being thrown in the dirt, burried, then taken out and fired. The 1911 fires once and jammed. The glock functioned.

Micahweeks

Without knowing more about the details of the evaluation process I find it hard to bash Colt.

Fair point, though I still think a terrible day at the track means you should lose the race. I can't see any reason to pick this gun given the pictures. That day, Colt seems to have dropped the ball.

Denezin

militant ive saw this video its a match grade 1911 against a glock. and is also why the 1911 failed. a match 1911 is fit to extremely tight tolerences. get a loose fit milspec in there and see if it jams. also that test if im not mistaken was on an out of the box 1911. the glock he fired was his own carry piece which was sure to been broken in with a few hundred rounds.

lamarw

This is a question, and I do not know the answer: Does Glock pass the criteria under the "Buy American Act"? :confused:

RickB

Did you see the condition of the recoil spring plug? That's a part that isn't supposed to move relative to any other part, yet the end of it, where it locks the bushing, is beaten to death.
There was something wrong with that gun, maybe a broken recoil spring or problem with the guide rod, and they just kept shooting. But, isn't that what destruction testing is all about? Shoot it until it breaks, and then determine what went wrong, so it can be a fixed?