Snub Nose On A Budget

2Old2Change

I recently purchased a S&W 642 for $410, OTD price. Haven't gotten to the range yet, but am looking forward to it. Ordered and received a Mika holster. Fits in the front pocket of my blue jeans, with no printing. Love it!!

Stumper

Krezy, Sorry you had a bad Taurus experience.FWIW---I have a m88 Rossi that I've owned for nearly 20 years and but a bunch of rounds through that I trust completely.

rugersp101

my wife's Taurus 85 in polished stainless Steel with porting is extremely reliable and the action is as slick as sweat on a hotties @$$! And this is from a diehard Ruger Double Action revolver addict. If you can get a S&W m640,642, etc.. for $380-$400 I would jump on that, if for no other reason, to support USA made products.
100_3613.jpg

Shade00

+1 on a S&W snubbie. Skip the Rossi and Taurus, go for the real deal. You won't regret it. While many have had good experiences with Taurus, if you do have a problem, don't expect it to get resolved in a timely fashion, despite the Taurus lifetime warranty.

Do yourself a favor and find a S&W. I have recently seen a few Model 36s and 37s for around $300, but if you can find a 36/37/38/40/42/637/638/640/642 in good shape between $300 and $400, go for it! Your choice out of those depends on if you want hammerless, shrouded hammer, or exposed hammer, and whether you want an Airweight.

shurshot

I have a Colt Det. .38 snub (1st), and have had several SW snubs. All good quality, dependable firearms. But when I feel like carrying a snub, during warm summer months, the gun that gets tucked in my pocket without concern about scratches, wear and tear, is a used Charter Arms Undercover .38 that I got used for $165 almost a decade ago. 16 oz, rugged, cheap and it works.

dabigguns357

solid carry gun

I have a S&W 686 4inch and 2 rossi snubbies.My s&w 686 cost me 450.00 13 years ago,but my rossi 461 was given to me and i only paid $125.00 for my rossi m677 lnib.I trust all my guns but my rossi 677 is what i like to carry most of all.It is the best of both worlds,heavy enough to use 357 rounds but light enough to carry,and it fits my big hands too.You will indeed find some really nice guns if you do some research.Picture.jpg

The Meatman

I went with a Taurus 85 ultralight, and I love it. I've shot it enough to know that I can hit what I need to hit, but I won't shoot it enough to ever wear it out. I'm giving serious consideration to a Beretta .22 as a bug though.

tedwhite

I've been carrying recently a Smith&Wesson Model 36 Chief's Special. Despite being a steel frame snubbie, it doesn't seem heavy at all, but then I don't carry it in a pocket. Strictly in a Bianchi thumbsnap Black Widow slide on the belt.

I don't know how much it weighs loaded (maybe someone does?), but it's a hell of a lot easier (on the hand) to shoot than the S&W Centennial Airweight I used to have. I'd say go for a Smith&Wesson. I like the Colt Detective Special - who wouldn't? - but parts are hard to come by and out here in the West they are being collected and therefore cost considerably more. Plus the Colt is a fairly old revolver. I don't think they've been manufactured for quite some time.

On the other hand, you can't go wrong with a Taurus 85 or 605 (same gun, just in .357 magnum). Nice fat comfy rubber grips in the bargain. Used shouldn't be more than $300 tops. I paid $500 for my Chief's Special as it turned out to be NIB but got $250 trade in for my Taurus 605, which was well used and looked it.

Elvishead

Smith Airweight .38, or a Ruger SP101 .357.

Rossi and Taurus are "OK" but if you can flip a little more coin for a better gun get one of the first.

I'm not a snob either, I have purchased a Rossi 461, and a Taurus 608 4". Don't ask about the Rossi.:cool:

wnycollector

I own two snubs (S&W 36 and 638) I shoot the model 36 MUCH better than the 638. The 638 is super light weight but not a whole lot to fun to practice with. I tried pocket carry...but it really was not for me. I much prefer IWB carry, therefore the model 36 gets the nod most days. If I was to pocket carry most of the time the 638 fits the bill much better.

As far as price, I picked up my 1964 vintage M36 for $225 last winter.

If you want to move up in size and power...a used ruger "six" with the 2.75" barrel is hard to beat. My snubbie security six is with me 100% of the time while hiking and it gets carried alot during the cold weather months, when I can wear a heavy untucked shirt. The added weight really tames hot 125gr .357's!

.38Catt

Look at the Taurus 85 in either SS, Blue, or Ultralite in SS. Many Taurus bashers out there. Kind of like the Harley Davidson riders who dress in black and wear do-rags and HD t-shirts all the time. They can't explain why they love a bike that is less dependable cost more than a reliable import. "If you have to ask, you don't understand" is their tag-line. Its not cool to dis the American product, but its okay to dis the import. I own Rugers, Taurus, Bersa, and my wife has a Glock. All have been great, though I do not personally care for the Glock. No problems, just not me.

BTW, I love Harleys, Hondas, and Kaws. But I do not have to wear a black HD shirt and a do-rag everywhere. I love the Harley (especially the Sportster series) BECAUSE they are the great American motorcycle, but any honest HD fan has to admit the "rice burners" are more reliable. That's the best analogy I can come up with.

In any case, do not overlook the Taurus, budget or not.

.38Catt

tube_ee

"political" concerns don't matter when buying used.

Remember when Smith and Ruger went to bed with the Liberals not so very long ago

Even if this is an issue for you, and I'd not say to anyone that they can't decide fr themselves who to give their money to, it doesn't matter in this context.

For the price the OP is looking at, he's looking at used guns. At which point, the past actions of Ruger and S&W don't matter at all... neither company is getting a dime of your money.

--Shannon

seeker_two

Remember when Smith and Ruger went to bed with the Liberals not so very long ago

S&W went to bed with liberals & then kicked them to the curb when they changed management.....Ruger only talked dirty to them.... ;)

That's the best thing about the used market.....the manufacturers don't make a penny off of them...and you get a gun that someone else was nice enough to break in for you.....

That includes Taurus and Rossi guns, too.... :D

daveydoo

.38catt +1 I agree Ruger is top of the list then Taurus. The 85 is a good snub. Sp101 is also a great snub. Smith are also a good choice but demand top dollar. Sold the Smith 686 I had for a XD but the two snubs Sp101 and 85 are both here still.

Creature

Do what I did...buy an old or neglected S&W or Colt (ala "perfectly aged"...like wine) snubby. As long as it locks up nice and solid, it doesnt matter if it looks like junk.

Like I said the lockup was good...but it looked pretty bad:
IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

Once I had it home, I sent it off to a guy who completely stripped it down to the white. He then parkerized the whole gun (minus a few important parts that should not be refinished). He then applied his TUFFGUN finish.
IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

My gun is usually carried IWB and close to the body. Since it can get pretty hot here in Virginia, I didnt want to worry about rust or corrosion from sweat. This finish treatment prevents that. My snubby is all business now:

Last edited:

1tomcat

I second Taurus & rossi ( made & guaranteed by
taurus) I tend to disregard all the horrow tales about these guns have owned several they are accurate and never had a problem with them

Elvishead

1tomcat

I second Taurus & rossi ( made & guaranteed by
taurus) I tend to disregard all the horrow tales about these guns have owned several they are accurate and never had a problem with them

I half heartily agree with you, but the clincher is, you have to pay to send it in for Warranty work. And shipping is really high now.