Snub Nose On A Budget

brentfoto

IMHO, if you're like most shooters and concealed carriers, the novelty of carrying a heavy gun will most likely wear off within a week or two and you'll absolutely regret making the investment in a heavy firearm. It will be relegated to the range, for HD, or the SAFE.

GET SMART, and BE SMART! You'll save yourself a lot of money and aggravation by carrying something that weighs 20 oz. or less, preferarbly 16 oz. or less, empty weight. S&W Airweight or a Kahr CW9 (I know, it's a semi-auto! Couldn't help but mention it.) would be highly recommended. I love the snub but I enjoy the Kahr more for concealed carry. Carry in a pocket holster and forget all else.

Another alternative is a NAA mini-magnum revolver (.22WMR).

guy8452

taurus

I have a taurus 445 in .44 spl. and really like it .It shoots well ,and i can count on it .

it also fits well in my pocket and in my budget ,used it was $259.00

Rmart30

642's are well withen your price range and would be my top recomendation, but Im also happy with my C/A snubby also and it was half of the 642's cost.

dkalmbac

I'm going to be buying a gun for CCW soon and I'm going to get the Ruger SP101. It's a bit heavier than the S&W J-frames, which has its advantages and disadvantages. On one hand, the heavier frame will handle heavier loads more easily. On the other hand, it also makes for less desirable pocket carry (most carry IWB). It really depends on what's more important to you (among other differences, of course). The SP101 seems to be the right fit for me, personally. They go for $450 new, so I'm sure you can find a used one for a bit under $400. I read a review of the SP101 and the reviewer said he was at a police training seminar and one of the instructors threw around an SP101, ran over it with a Crown Victoria, and actually stopped one of the car's tires on the SP101 and moved the steering wheel back and forth and the SP101 still worked fine (despite one of the sights being broken off). They're little tanks.

Whatever you choose, good luck.

skeeter1

"What do you think is the best brand? What caliber?"

Well, FWIW, I've had a S&W model 60 since 1980 in .38Spl. I paid $200 for it back then, but GB has plenty of them in the $400-range. They're pretty-close to indestructible. Rugers are strong, but somewhat heavier. If you can find a S&W, that's what I'd recommend. My older Smith (M35) is 36 years old, and my brother still has my dad's M19 (60 years old). S&W's are worth whatever you pay for them.

Webleymkv

I didn't pay $400 for either of my snubbies and they're my two most carried handguns.

Nickgunphotos005.jpg

First Issue (circa 1953) Colt Cobra $300

BuffaloSabresGame72.jpg

S&W Model 66-2 $360

gymheart

snubbies

According to Corbon, their 85 gr hollow point in .380 has more power than ANY snub nose .38! Now, if your chosen .38 is a 4in. barrel, that's a different story. So, for those in love with the .38 snubbie, just know that the little .380 is a better carry choice. Talk about weight! Ever held a KelTec 3AT? Shoots well and packs a whallop compared to the 38. Also, don't forget the (the snobs will love this), the NEW Bulldog in 44 spl. Lots of bite (on both ends) and just a tad larger than the 38 5-shot snubbie. 100% reliable. I carry the Dog with the extremely hot and hard hitting Corbon 200 g. DXT with some 400 lbs energy. With an IWB holster,(inside the belt) you hardly know it's there. As for the Taurus, I've had the Mod 85 good gun, older Rossi M68, good gun & still have it. But I bought the Taur M650 FBI "hammerless" in .357 and it froze up after 5 rounds and had to be opened with a rubber mallot! Great for speed reloads. Along with the absolute nightmare I went thru with a Taur PT145, I'll NEVER own another Taur and probably same for Rossi since Taur bought them out. Besides, the 38 snubbie has a very hight recoil-to-power ratio.

tenusdad

Snubbie

The present owners of S&W did not go to bed with the liberals. That happened when S&W was owned by a British company. Thats like saying the previous owner of a car was a drunk driver so watch out for the new owner. I would buy a used S&W on a budget - I don't like Tarus. Also, I have owned and shot a couple of the old Charter Arms revolvers and have had no problem at all with them.

gymheart

cheap snubbies

Oops, my fingers got tangled up:
Those afore mentioned Corbons were the 200g. DPX great stuff, but hold on when they go off!

kristop64089

These are my snubbies, which have been 100% reliable
Taurus 905 9mm
100_0915.jpg

Taurus 651ss
100_0723.jpg

These aren't my favorite guns, but they are my favorite to carry. I'm not a Taurus fan by any stretch of the word, but these two guns have my S&W 637 beat with quality,fit, and finish.

If you can find an older S&W J frame, I'd get it, you'd be safe with a Ruger.
As long as you can inspect the Taurus before you buy it, you'll do alright.

brentfoto

I wasn't aware of an 85gr. hollowpoint Corbon for the .380. I thought it was 80gr DPX and 90gr JHP. Besides, comparing calibers isn't the subject of the thread. Snubnose revolvers, I thought, were...

This poster has made so many errors in his comments it affects his credibility, though the rounds may be similar if shot out of a 3.5" barrel for the .380 and a 2" barrel for the snub. But if the round is a Speer GD or Rem LHP with 135 and 158 gr. in a snub I'd be mighty surprised if the .380 is on a par with those.

The point is comparing a 3.5" barrel in a .380 to a snub barrel of 1 and 7/8" is apples and oranges.

Perhaps poster wishes to start another thread re his contentions.