Smith and Wesson Model 10's

ArkieVol

M64, M&P Victory, M10-5 2"

M64-3 (1981), M&P Victory, SV809,xxx (1945), M10-5 2" (1966-67). My son has my service pencil barrel M10-5 I bought new in Feb. 1965 (not pictured)

model10s.jpg

BillCA

Rustyknob - I'll address your query in a private message.

I'm not the photographer some of you are and SatCong beat me to it, but I'll show off the only Model 10 I currently have. A nice find in the local shop, in almost perfect condition for under $380.

M10M_1360.jpg

I have a weakness for the 5-inch M10's. The first gun I learned to shoot was a 5-inch Victory model my father bought war-surplus for about $18 in 1948. Pretty doggone good deal that.

High speed, low-drag lead launcher.
M10M_1450.jpg

natman

Any idea of the year it was manufactured?

Does anyone know the history of the 38 S&W to 38 Special conversion?

It looks like a M&P that was made for the British market, probably Lend Lease. It appears to have the commercial finish rather than the military finish usually used on Victory models. The British handgun cartridge in WWII was the 38 S&W.

After the gun made it's way back to the states someone converted it to the more readily available 38 Special. As you have discovered, this conversion does not work out well because the 38 S&W has a larger diameter base and 38 Special cases expand to fit.

Charger Fan

Great pics & info here, guys!
I definitely need to add a few of these to my collection soon, and they must be early ones that are simply rollmarked with "Made in USA".

publius

I have been able to find the heavy barrel pretty easily for good prices but I can't find a pencil to save my life. I want one bad.

Sgt127

Here's a few for you. Most have a little wear and tear, they were work guns:

IMG_0039-1.jpg

4" skinny barrel

IMG_0140.jpg

5" pre model number

SW005.jpg

1976 SA-SO catalog (Police Equipment supply in Texas) Sigh....

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
My Smith & Wesson model 10-5 .38 Special from 1963~!

Attachments

• Guns, Family, & Animals 091.jpg
    Guns, Family, & Animals 091.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 97

Blackhawk_45

Older M10-8

Hi! I have an older M10-8, S/N 8D56xxx. It has a 4', heavy, pinned barrel. I believe it was manufactured in 1981, and that was also the last year the pinned barrel was made. It is NIB, perfect blue box with still sealed screwdriver and cleaning brush, and all papers. Bottom of the box has the orig price tag of $175.00. This gun has never been fired, cylinder has never been turned. Has factory checkered walnut stocks and new Safariland stocks installed.
I know this model is over a hundred years old, and there are hundreds of thousands of them out there, but would it be a good idea to keep it unfired? I'm leaning toward shooting it. What are your thoughts?
Thank you

kle

Blackhawk_45 said:
This gun has never been fired, cylinder has never been turned. Has factory checkered walnut stocks and new Safariland stocks installed.
I know this model is over a hundred years old, and there are hundreds of thousands of them out there, but would it be a good idea to keep it unfired? I'm leaning toward shooting it. What are your thoughts?

Don't shoot it, then; there are tons of shooter-grade Model 10s out there (most common ones with the heavy-barrel that I see are -6s and -8s) that you could pick one up for cheap ($200-$250) and keep your NIB/never-fired -8 pristine. As your -8 is unfired, it'd probably command a good price to a collector.

spacecoast

Hi! I have an older M10-8, S/N 8D56xxx. It has a 4', heavy, pinned barrel. I believe it was manufactured in 1981,... I know this model is over a hundred years old

It's worth FAR more unfired than fired, it would be a shame to sully it now. Spend $250 and get yourself a perfectly good but used Model 10 or Model 64 police trade-in with Hogue grips for the range. They are GREAT revolvers.

shafter

Awesome photos, Thanks!

I'm completely sold on the 4'' models. I'm wondering though, do the heavier barrels shoot better? They don't look as nice though.

kle

They won't shoot any better (i.e. the tapered barrel and heavy barrel will be equally accurate), but the heavy barrel will absorb more recoil than the tapered barrel, giving a slightly softer-shooting gun.