Smith and Wesson Model 10's

SatCong, that 5" 10 is a beauty. Wish I could find one at a good price.

FWIW, I talked to our S&W rep a few weeks back, and as of 2010, the Model 10 has been discontinued from the regular lineup. There will still be one in the "Classics" series, but that's it.

(Ironically, the Classic model is just another heavy-barrel 10. It should be a tapered barrel.)

It might seem a point of semantics, but up until now, the Model 10 has always been part of the regular lineup. Should the Classic model not sell well, (and at what's likely to be a higher price, I suspect so) it could very well be dropped altogether.

kle

Here's a 10-6 (right) and a 10-9:

4428141905_2cec314fa3.jpg

I let the 10-9 go, but I still have the 10-6.

Winchester_73

Not exactly model 10s but close...

Heres my pre model 10s aka M&Ps aka model 1905 hand ejectors:

An early 20s (253XXX) 6in nickel with beautiful original recessed medallion grips (top)

SW1905and11-2.jpg

This next one is really rare but not in great condition. Its a 1905 1st series hand ejector target from about 1914 (. I suppose one could argue that this is kind of like a pre model 14 but it had the standard trigger and hammer from the time.

19051sttarget1.jpg

19051sttarget2.jpg

KyJim

Winchester_73, you've inspired me to add one. Before the Model 10 was the M&P. This one is called a Pre-M&P Target Model (Model 1905 4th change) and is from about 1928. It is very sweet shooter:

SW_PreMPTarget_04.jpg

SW_PreMPTarget_01.jpg

madcratebuilder

Boy, some very handsome revolvers!

I'll add a few more. This is one that I have tried to buy in the past.
1918 4th change target model.

MP02.jpg

Another 4" pencil barrel.
PICT0003Medium-3.jpg

Jimbo-Indy

Pre 10 dating from 1936
Bought it from a friend of a friend. Lady was about 90 yrs. old. Gun belonged to her late husbands father who kept it in his Princeton, IN drug store. Said it had been in her dresser drawer for decades. Has that old school S&W feel to the action and that beautiful deep blue. Need to get some better pic's.
IMGP1572.jpg

Jimbo-Indy

The history of that pre 10 makes you wonder. 1936 was around the time of John Dillinger, here in Indiana. A guy I worked with was a relative of Homer VanMeter who was part of Dillinger's gang at that time. It's a little piece of Indiana history.

aarondhgraham

Leejack is correct,,,

If I am at the range when other people show up,,,
We always compare what's in our gun rugs,,,
The K-Frame's are what the ladies go for.

I still have yet to buy a Model 10,,,
But they sure like my 12, 15, & 18 a lot.

A Model 34 to match my Model 36,,,
Is next on my list.

After that I'm getting a Model 10,,,
To always live in my truck.

Pappy John

Here's the Hong Kong Police, Customs and Excise Bureau 10-7 that I bought for my wife several years ago.

The grips were on the rough side, so I also got her these faux ivories to dress it up for her a bit.

model%2010.jpg

therustyknob

Need a little help with a pre-model 10

I have a pre model 10 that my dad purchased about 30 years ago from a police auction. It was used in a robbery and recovered by the police. What I think happened is that they somehow tried to play with the cylinder size and now it will split the cases with 38 special and 38 S&W. I am guessing they tried to put it back to 38 S&W and didn't do a very good job. Kind of explains whey they got caught.

The serial Number on butt has a V then looks like the lanyard hole then 5413##

Here is a photo with original grips.

IMG_0246.jpg

New grips

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

Right side of barrel 38 S&W CTG

IMG_0239.jpg

Left side of gun has stamp with Cal .38 Special. You can see some of the evidence markings they scratched on the gun when recovered.

IMG_0238.jpg

Sorry for the bad photo but I couldn't find my tripod and and the photo is a bit blurred. Stamped on top left side is U S PROPERTY G H D

IMG_0244.jpg

Any idea of the year it was manufactured?

Does anyone know the history of the 38 S&W to 38 Special conversion?

Have they changed the cylinder size over the years? Can I use a cylinder from a 38 Special model 10 on this pre-model 10.

Last edited:

aarondhgraham

What dash version started the thick barrel?

I'm not fond of the thick barrel versions,,,
A lot of the elegance of the model 10,,,
Was in that slender tapered barrel.

kle

aarondhgraham said:
What dash version started the thick barrel?

10-1

1957: Begin stamping model number.
10-1 (1959): introduction of heavy barrel (the frame is slightly different for the heavy barrel, and changes to the standard-barrel variant were generally carried over to the heavy-barrel variant, thus the engineering changes happen in pairs)
10-2 (1961): change extractor rod thread for standard barrel
10-3 (1961): change extractor rod thread for heavy barrel, change front sight width from 1/10" to 1/8"
10-4 (1962): eliminate trigger-guard screw on standard barrel frame
10-5 (1962): change sight width from 1/10" to 1/8" for standard barrel
10-6 (1962): eliminate trigger-guard screw on heavy-barrel frame
10-7 (1977): change gas ring from yoke to cylinder for standard barrel
10-8 (1977): change gas ring from yoke to cylinder for heavy barrel
10-9 (1988): new yoke retention system, radius stud package, floating hand hammer nose bushing for standard barrel
10-10 (1988): new yoke retention system, radius stud package, floating hand hammer nose bushing for heavy barrel
10-11 (1997): MIM hammer/trigger + floating firing pin for standard barrel
10-12 (1997): MIM hammer/trigger + floating firing pin for heavy barrel
10-13 (2002): limited production 1899 commemorative edition
10-14 (2002): internal lock

(all model-numbers in bold have the heavy barrel)