Smith and Wesson Model 10's

shafter

Let's see your model 10's. I'm looking to get one soon and am wondering what's a good price these days. Not looking for anything fancy just something I can take to the range and shoot alot. There's something about these pistols that really appeals to me. Too many black and white episodes of The Untouchables I guess:)

MrBorland

My 10-5

Miata008.jpg

madcratebuilder

A 1956 .38 Military & Police K38. I bought this when they were cheap. great for burning up ammo.
PICT0004Small-1.jpg

1938 .38 Military & Police K38
4thchange01.jpg

There are other .38's in the S&W line that are great revolvers.

This is a 1960 M14 K-38 Target Masterpiece, maybe S&W's best .38 revolver they aver made.
k3801.jpg

k3803.jpg

pinkerpv

model 10s

Not really good pics. Model 10-5, 2 in bbl and a model 10-6, 4 in bbl

Attachments

• model 10s.jpg
    model 10s.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 245

kraigwy

Madcratebuilder:

Your reponse (pictures) reminds me of the scene from the movie, CITY HEAT, where Burt Reynolds and Clint Eastwood were in a shoot out. Instead of reloading the kept pulling out a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, pistol, each one with a longer barrel. Clint pulled out revolvers such as yours while Bert pulled out semi's, each new gun had a longer barrel then the last.

spacecoast

shafter -

I have a nickeled and a blued snub Model 10, and twin 4" Model 64s (stainless Model 10s). All are excellent shooters, and very easy to shoot with the extra bulk and longer grip length compared to the J frames.

Price-wise, the snubs are around $300 +/- $50 for decent (not perfect) examples. The 4" police trade-ins Model 64s are in the low $200s.

10-5.jpg

DSC01427.jpg

twin64s.jpg

Last edited:

KyJim

I have a couple of 10-5s with pencil barrels. They balance very nicely. Neither is minty. I purchased the second one with the notion that it could be somewhat abused without any guilt.

SW_Model_10A_DSCN1476.jpg

SW_Model_10B_DSCN1484.jpg

aarondhgraham

Loves those K-Frame .38's,,,

I was told the Model 10 is the oldest continuous production handgun ever,,,
I know it wasn't called the Model 10 when it came out,,,
IIRC it was "Smith & Wesson Military & Police",,,
Model of 1899.

Anyways, that would make the model 111 years old,,,
Eleventy one years old this year.

It is still one of the classiest handguns ever designed,,,
Talk about getting it right the first time.

I have a Model 12, 15, & 18,,,
A Model 10 is my next.

roaddog28

Here is mine newer 10-14 4 inch heavy barrel. The revolver shoots as well as the older ones I used to have.

Regards,
roaddog28

model10-14a.jpg

Tom, that 3" reminds me of one I had that got away.
Don't feel bad; it got away from me a few times over the years, too. K-Frame prices on the secondary market are getting ridiculous, and there's no sign of them going down, so I went ahead and snagged one a month back.

Cheapshooter

SWMod10008.jpg

I bought this one new in 1972 for $86.50. Added the target grips later.
Wasn't really looking for a Mod. 10, but this one had, and still does have, the sweetest trigger from the factory of any handgun I have ever had.

brian45auto

pre model..aka victory model
10-7 it was a service gun. the right grip is about worn smooth...and the over all finish on the piece is distressed to say the least.

Last edited:

Deaf Smith

I'm like you Mr.RevolverGuy.

Grew up on Smith M10 and Colt 'O' 1911.

While no picture, I have a five screw M10, 1953, sleeping in the safe. 4 inch barrel and excellent condtion. Picked it up at a pawn shop years ago for about $240. And it's brother, a M64, 4 inch pencil barrel sleeps beside it.

If all I had was Smith K frames and Colt 'O' frames, well I could live with that.