Small 1911s, for carry

mrbro

Both my 1911's are full size, and when I have carried I've felt the weight and frame were more of an issue than the slide length. I've always thought the perfect carry pistol would be a 5" or 4.25" slide on an Officer sized frame. Making the frame and slide with some kind of modern lightweight super-alloy would deal with the weight.

Don P

Sold off my officer size Para 12-45 Limited. Double stack all steel and heavy. 44 oz loaded.
Now for my officer size 45 is a Glock 36. 27 oz loaded, 7 rounds and about the size of a officers model. Fits well with my gov. and commander 1911's and works for me. Just my personal preference.

IMTHDUKE

I have these two....and if I had to choose...I wouldn't pick one over the other. Both are 100% as much up to this point...500 rds in both.

62520996525079.jpg

62520996552615.jpg

9x19

I find the CCOs to be oddly balanced in my hands.

Kimber's Compact had the same problem for me.

If the top end is longer than 3.5", I prefer a full sized frame.

IME, modern 3" guns (Kimber, Colt series 90, Springfield EMP) do not have reliability issues as a rule, though there are always lemons, but then that's true of all sizes.

Stevie-Ray

My preferred EDC, a Kimber Ultra CDP II. Totally reliable and the most accurate out of the box weapon I've yet owned. It replaced an underwhelming HKUSPC and blows it away in every respect. Many here are touting Colt-good for them, because had Colt had this type of firearm when I got this Kimber, I would have looked no further than Colt. Fact remains, though, this was about the only game in town 8 years ago. Only thing I've ever done to it was fatten up the grip a bit. I'd never trade it for anything.

100_0626.jpg

fredeee

Kimber Ultra

Great pistol, had a CDP II in 9mm but I didn't like the way Kimber's take down in their 3 and 4 inch models. Small paper clip thingie was just weird. Also found the 1911 of any size a bit large for IWB "small" carry. Personal preference but I switched to a Kahr PM9 for everyday carry, but I prefer to shoot a 1911 at the range. Good luck with your search.

Eagle Keeper

Looked at Para, Springfeild, Colt, didn't like the feel of one, couldn't aford the other, found a Defender @ the right $$, just wished it had the Tritum 3 dot night glow on it($95.00 x-tra), it still works fine, mighty fine~~><>..

markj

I sure do like the melt job the kimbers have. There is a place in town has a bunch of colts and kimbers so I can do a comparo on both, they may also have the springfields in then too he said.

I have a springer loaded full size, it is nopt real heavy but for summer I am looking for a smaller lightrer carry piece. It wont be shot like my other 1911s tho, just enough to get me on target.

How do the aluminum frames hold up? I dont see any bad things on them.

A co worker just got a kimber ultra carry 2 at ehe base BX, what a deal and no tax. But I cannot go buy there as I am not in the service. But my dad in law is ret, and will be back from the winter dwellings soon :)

I will call Wild Alaska if I choose a colt, maybe he will throw in a set of hello kitty thongs..... unused of cource...

psyfly

I really like the "excess" thing (thanks, orionengnr).

Of the < 5" pistols, I've tried (in date order over the years):

1. Colt Commander (around 1975, I think, and they were all LW then): Absolutely no complaints about anything except very worn and scratched slide (frame had the finish removed and was bare Coltalloy) I must have been crazy to trade it away.

2. Llama compact (around 1990 or so): Worked fine w/o problems but had fit and finish of a Chinese crowbar. Traded.

3. Colt compact (around 1993): Worked fine w/o problems but had really cheapo-looking finish (reminded me of a Llama I once owned:D.). Traded.

4. Star PD (early 90's)(Not really a 1911): Pretty little thing and the first Compact .45ACP. No complaints, my son still carries it from time to time.

5. Springfield Armory LW Ultra Compact ('06): One of the finest pistols I've ever held in my hand. Gorgeous work of art. I still carry it occasionally.

6. Springfiled Armory SS Ultra Compact ('06): Strangely, since I really like #5. above, I just couldn't like it. Traded.

7. Para-Ordnance Slim Hawg ('09). Light, easy to carry, reliable. I could not make a decent group with it. Traded.

8. Colt Commander ('10) (1979 vintage, finally replaced my earlier mistake) Absolutely love it. Light, easy to carry, reliable, accurate. What's not to love? I carry it occasionally.

9. Para-Ordnance 6.45 LDA ('11): Small, all steel, reliable, accurate. Finish is infamously falling off but I love it. It is my daily carry.

Try 'em all if you can, markj.

Call Wild and see if he will set up a trade rotation. Might be a good sideline for him.

Best,

Will

skoro

If you're willing to consider 9mm instead of 45acp, then there are a couple of very fine compact 1911s on the market: Springfield EMP and Kimber Ultra Aegis.

michael t

I carry a Colt Defender most of the time . I have Colt Officers, New Agent, Defender and Detonics . Defender gets most carry . That said a LTW Commander is also a good pistol I have one Its jus the Defender I grab most time.
I use Corbon 185gr DPX +P in all my 45's when I carry . My Compacts have all ran on 230 gr. But I want little more punch on the short barrel

I don't thing at 10yds or less the BG going to know difference between a 230 HP or a 185. HP.

Nakanokalronin

I've owned 2 Kimber Ultra Carry IIs in stainless which have been 100% reliable with any 230gr. ammo out there. I say 230gr. because thats all I use since the manufactures usually use this weight for testing and its a great performer in a 1911.

Recoil is barely above a full size 5" government model. Accuracy is on par with my 5" 1911s. My Kimber UC II is my EDC during the colder months.

l.jpg

The UC II has black wood grips and has a solid aluminum trigger now.

The back-up in case something did happen to the Kimber or I was doing some work on it would be my RIA Compact which has also been 100% reliable. They both go into a Bianchi 100 holster.
l.jpg

l.jpg

BlueTrain

I sure wish my budget for a new (or not so new) gun was over $1,000. However, I have already owned one Colt lightweight Officer's ACP. Very nice gun, nearly perfect for concealed carry. But a real handful to shoot. I don't remember that the blast was so bad and it didn't really hurt to shoot, which is to say it wasn't as bad to shoot as a 3" K-frame with magnum loads. All the same, it encouraged you to make your shots count, shall we say. They made stainless steel versions but I never fired one of them.

I also owned a lightweight Colt Commander (Yes, also very nice gun, nearly perfect for concealed carry). In thinking back, I remember that it was nothing at all like the Officer's ACP in shooting. I suppose it must have been the longer grip. I mentioned all this in another post only recently but it is still a good subject for discussion.

Another very similiar pistol I owned was one of the last new Star BKM models sold here, or so they told me when I bought it at the old Hunter's Haven down in Alexandria, Virginia. That was the gun Colt should have made. If it was Ruger, they would have, too, sooner or later. But Star lightweight pistols did not hold up if you actually shot them very much. I should have babied it more.

These days, however, I have had no experience with any of the newer crop of smaller guns, though I think making the barrel shorter and shorter isn't a great idea.

Seaman

Have a Springfield Armory GI 3-inch, its heavy, kicks some, but is one of the most accurate handguns I have ever shot. It has become my daily carry.

Its easier to shoot accurately than my full-size Colt 1911, (as easy as pointing a finger) even tho my smallest finger is half off the grip and the short sight radius seems to make acquiring the target much quicker.

Would be nice if it were a little lighter, but at least I know I'm carrying. All in all, the micro 1911 is a pleasant surprise, one of those times when a handgun lives up to hopes and expectations.

Mrgunsngear

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II stainless.

Pros:
Good trigger
Light weight
Very accurate (for short sight radius)
Currently very reliable

Cons:
Was unreliable until I put about 200 rounds through it and switched to Wilson/Chip McCormick mags
No checkering on front strap
More recoil than my 5'' 1911s (not as much to dissuade me from using it as others have stated)

I agree that the commander's versions are probably better. I have the Sig C3 and think it's a much better overall carry gun.