Small 1911s, for carry

markj

I see Kimber has some, Springfield has some, but what are the folks carry them saying about them? I like the alum frame short barrel and the kimbers are about the same price wise as the springers. How do they hold up?

The CDP looks real nice, as does the small operators.

Any other makes I shoud look at? Cost is to be under 1500

RickB

For holster use, I think a LW Commander makes a lot more sense than the ultra-compact guns. I carry a Detonics Combat Master when space is important, such as tucking the gun in a pocket, or a fanny pack, or some place where size is the most important issue, but when the gun is on the body in a holster, I don't see much up-side to the little guys. The CCO - Commander slide on compact frame - is a nice compromise.

Edward429451

You like the looks and feel of the small ones? Have you ever shot any of the small ones? I have and went right back to full size. Some things aren't meant to be compacted. The recoil is more, the muzzle flash and blast are more, and the velocity is less. I suppose you could tailor a light weight bullet load for them and reach a compromise in efficiency, but thats the opposite direction that I want to go with a carry piece. My carry must be able to digest any scrounged ammo at all and not just some trick load that only works in that gun.

You lose sight radius too. Small 45's are too much of a niche gun for me, I want general purpose and the 5" has it all over the compacts

9x19

I have some small ones, and my favorite is the Colt Defender, your choice of .45 or 9mm. Both of mine are accurate and run great, though I prefer the 9mm myself.

Colt Defender 9mm
CDefenderrw.jpg

Don H

I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry (pre-Series II) and have about 3,000 rounds through it - factory and reloads, FMJ, LSWC, LRN, LTC, 200 & 230 grain loads. I have never experienced a problem with it, not a single hiccup. Recoil is acceptable and my wife prefers it to her S&W 686. It is surprisingly accurate - closest targets at the range we go to is 15 yards. I usually pocket-carry it in a custom holster.

DennisE

It's hard to beat the Kimber Ultra (or Pro) CDPII in 45 ACP! Ergonamic, accurate and reliable. In 9mm I prefer the Springfield EMP or the Kimber Ultra Aegis II. Dennis

shanzlik

STI Shadow, my daily carry, extremely reliable in my experience, and highly recommended. Some people may be more recoil sensitive, but I've shot 250 rounds of full power 230gr in a single session through mine without discomfort. I'm past 2,000 rounds so far. The Colt Defender is also reliable.

STIShadoww2Krnds800600.jpg

deeHKman

Post # 5 has it the way i see 1911's

Never been into ultra small 1911's more a Commander or Fullsize i would buy. ;)

BigJimP

I've shot a lot of 3" and 4" 1911's in .45 acp ....and I didn't like any of them.... so I went back / or never left a 5" 1911...if you want to shoot a .45 acp round.... I equate the light and short 1911's in .45 acp ....like trying to hold a "Tomcat" ( a real cat - not a gun ) ....by the hind legs out in front of you ...and its hopping all over in a figure 8 pattern. Its ok for 2 or maybe 3 rounds ....but 4, 5,6, 7 the groups start to spread big time. I can shoot a
3" ...if I slow it down / and really concentrate...but its not easy to do.

and I would carry a 3", a 4" or a 5" in the same holster anyway .../ and at
6' 5" and 290 lbs will a few ounces make that big a difference ...and I shoot the 5" 1911 pretty well for an old guy ....

On the other hand ...if you want to carry a 9mm ...I think you have a lot of options from Springfield, Kimber, etc ...for under $ 1,500. Along that line, I have a Kimber tactical pro II model, 4" gun, in 9mm with alloy frame. I don't carry it hardly at all / but there is no reason I couldn't ... I've tested it with Federal Hydra Shok defensive ammo and it ran 100% with their 147gr hollow points....

Microgunner

I've owned (2) compact 1911s. A Colt Officer's ACP .45 in ultimate stainless and a Springfield Armory EMP 9mm. They both shoot great. I no longer own the Colt but still own the EMP. I prefer the EMP over the Officer's ACP by a wide margin.

viper7342

If you Can Find One

I suggest the 3.5" Colt 1991A1 Compact Model (Same as an Officers Model except it's blued steel). I have had one since 1997 and it has been perfectly reliable with everything I've fed it from steel cased Wolf to Remington Golden Sabers!:D

orionengnr

I'm prone to excess...

I have owned
Two Para C6s (steel 3")
A Charles Daly steel (3 or 3.5", been a while, can't recall)
Two Kimber Ultra Carry (alloy 3")
Two Kimber Ultra CDP (alloy 3")
One Colt Defender (alloy 3")
Two Springfield EMPs (alloy 3" 9mm)

All I have now is one Ultra Carry and one Ultra CDP (oh yeah, and the wife has an Ultra CDP too).

Honestly, though, for the last year or so, Commander-ish sized 1911s are about the only ones I carry. An extra inch doesn't add much to the weight, but the sight radius makes it easier to shoot (an extra round is never a bad thing either).

thinktwice

I own a Kimber Ultra CDP 11 and a Springfield Micro Compact Loaded model. Both are great shooters with no problems. However as others have stated there is a bit more muzzle flip with the smaller 1911's but nothing you can't handle.Both are very accurate, but I have to give the edge to the Kimber. Both have very nice trigger pulls with the Micro having the lighter pull. It feels like it has had a trigger job, but I know it hasn't because I bought the pistol new, but the trigger pull is very light I would guess around 3.5 to 4 pound pull. You should take a look at either one of these. I also have heard a lot of good things about the Colt Defender, but can't comment on one because I don't own one. YET!

Texpass

Markj if I may, try the Sig C3. My wife just bought me one. It is fairly light, well balanced and accurate as nails carry 1911.

This little jewel is a commander length 4.25 and has an officers grip which holds 7 rounds. This gun conceals very easy and you don't have to have the secret hand shake to strip it down for cleaning.

I have a 3 inch Colt New Agent and it works well but without a Laser it is not a long distance gun.

Bruce Gray of Gray Guns brings up some interesting discussions on 3 inch 1911's. Apparently if things are not down right the shorter 1911's may not cycle properly. Bruce is the man when it comes to making guns run smooth.

I own three commander length 45 1911's and they are as good or better than the 5 inch models. So check out the Sig C3 or my second choice would be the STI RangerII, third choice S&W 1911PD. Tell you the truth they are all very close in performance. The S&W 1911PD is the lightest, the STI Ranger II is the heaviest.

It will be a fun decision for sure.

45Gunner

I am surprised to read that some of you seem to have problems with muzzle flip and other issues with the 3" .45. I shoot a Kimber Ultra CDP II and have the same accuracy as I have with my other 1911's. I grip it the same way as I would a 5" and never noticed a difference. I would think that controlling a gun with two hands would only make a difference if the gun were too small to get a good two handed grip on it such as the mouse guns.

From a carry standpoint, I prefer to carry a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry with a 4.25" barrel but find very little difference with conceal-ability between any of the the 3", 4.25", or 5" 1911's. The key is the proper holster for your body type and personal preference. I guess the same can be said for the gun...personal preference.

Texpass makes mention of the Sig C3 in the previous post. I would confirm what he says...the gun is about as accurate as they come out of the box.

Two guns that I would suggest are the Sig C3 and the STI Guardian. Both guns have Commander length barrels (4.25") and Officer sized frames. The benefits are dependable function of the Commander sized guns and the added concealability of the shorter Officer sized grip. If you are a careful shopper you can find the C3's for less than $800 and the STI Guardian comes in right around $1000. The STI is going to come with more high end internals which is reflected in the price but both guns should perform well for you.

Kevinch

From a carry standpoint, I prefer to carry a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry with a 4.25".

I believe the Pro Carry has a 4" tube. That said, I have 5"; 4", & 3" 1911 pistols, all Kimber. I use the 5" for the range, the 4" for range & carry, & the 3" for carry. None are uncomfortable to shoot, but the 5" gun is more so than the 3". Just the opposite with carry; the 3" CDP is much more comfortable to conceal than the larger & heavier Custom Stainless. It's hard to find the "1" gun that will do all roles equally well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk