Sig X5 vs S&W 952 vs CZ-75 TS

makarov

I'm positive. Have it in front of me. Guns & Ammo - April issue. The article is on the 9mm, he just happened to choose the 952 as the test platform.

If you are curious which load performed the best. He had listed:

90 gr. Speer HP 7.5 grains Unique velocity 1527 fps - 1.5 inch group (30 yards)

That was the only load that grouped under 2.25 inches. Most were 3 or 4 inches. I really like the looks of the 952 and am very partial to 9mm guns in general, but I think my CZ-85 Combat has shot groups comparable to that off a sandbag with Winchester white box from Wally World... Next time I go to the range I'll try for groups at 30 yards just for kicks. I don't have a Ransom rest however. Goes to show how much difference loads and bullet weight can make.

Keep an eye out for the mag. Has the Springfield XD 45 on the cover.

-- Personally I'm saving up for the SW 1911 with the Target sights. Blued model. If I had the money I'd probably get a 952 too, just because they are nice guns. And a 41 and a.........

SoonerBJJ

I'll go looking for the issue tomorrow. Those groups are much less impressive from all the personal reports I've ever read from credible shooters. Makes me wonder about their gun or technique.

The question is somewhat moot as I found a 952-1 with blued finish tonight on GunBroker that I couldn't pass up. Good price on a gun that has barely been shot. Advertised as minty by a good seller. Can't wait to get my hands on her...

P1000158.jpg

HSMITH

It isn't unusual for a gun to shoot better handheld than in a ransom rest. I've only shot one 952 and it struck me as a HECK of a lot better than a 3" @25 yard gun........

918, the locking of the barrel on the X-5 is part of what you see with the 'looseness'. Pop one apart next time out and take a look at how it locks.

918v

I'm talking about the slide-to-frame fit, not barrel lockup. The three X-5's I handled were sloppy.

makarov

Nice Gun!!!!

Like I said, I like the 952's always have been partial to true target pistols. See how it shoots and report back to us. It is possible he didn't have the gun tightened down in the rest properly. I've never seen one used before - I assumed they are sort of like a vise, but from looking at the pictures I could see if you didn't have the gun in there solid you would get variations just from the rest itself. I know you are supposed to have specific adaptors for the gun to fit the Ransom rest too. Anyway, nice score on the 952! Gotta love a well polished blued steel gun. I'll take that over stainless anyday.

dgludwig

918v: What do you mean when you say the 952-2 has a "working grip safety"? I don't know of any 952 (or 52, for that matter) that is equipped with a grip safety.

Last edited:

918v

The black part of the grip on the 952-2 pivots on the pin close to the magwell. This pivoting action actuates a lever which moves the firing-pin safety plunger out of the way of the firing pin.

dgludwig

That would be a firing pin safety? Generically, I think most people would agree that a "grip safety" prevents the trigger from firing the pistol before it (the grip safety) is depressed. I'm wondering how a Ransom Rest would play any part in adversely affecting the accuracy of the 952 in terms of any firing pin safety.

Last edited:

SoonerBJJ

I read the article yesterday. The parts about reloading were somewhat interesting but I couldn't tell where he was trying to go with the article. Was it about reloading or was it about the 952? I think he wanted to use the 952 to make some point about reloads but I think the point was lost and he did both reloads and the 952 a disservice at the same time. Those groups were not impressive and not representative of what others are capable of with it. He chose the 952 because it is one of the most accurate 9mm produced yet he wasn't able to take advantage of that inherent accuracy for some reason. He didn't even seem to realize what was wrong with numbers he was publishing. Maybe it is a Ransom problem, who knows?

918v

HS,

How does the X5 differ from the 226 in terms of barrel lockup? They look the same to me.

Does it center the loose slide on the frame?

HSMITH

Yes, centers, locks and cams everything rock solid together. Test targets and initial shooting impressions indicate fantastic accuracy.

More than one way to skin a cat.......

918v

So does the standard P226. In fact, a regular P226 locks-up like a bank vault.

My problem lies with workmanship. A gun in that price range should be fitted tighter, to justify the higher price. Case in point: My P226 ST and my Sport Stock are equally accurate. The difference is slide-to-frame fit, a bull barrel, and adjustable sights. The X5 costs $500 more than a Sport Stock and offers nothing except a half-inch longer barrel, loose slide-to-frame fit and sloppy trigger-guard checkering.

For $1800, I want no more than .003" clearance. Is that so much to ask for? Can't they set-up their CNC machines any better? S&W Performance Center does.

Gixerman1000

That sure is a purdy 952-2 in the 3rd pic, now where have I seen it,,,, ;) :D

Congratulations on your new 952, I hope you like it as much as I do mine.

Dale Elder

Don't buy the S&W 952

Don't buy the S&W 952, I did and regret it. I have had lots of trouble with mine and It's not that accurate. It's pretty and thats it. Now its my gun safe princess as S&W will not take it back. While waiting for it to get fixed I ordered the CZ-75 TS, long story short I wound up with the CZ SP01 shadow and love it; twice as accurate as the 952 and totally reliable.

schmeky

Having owned several CZ's (and several Sig's, but not an "X" series), I have come to appreciate the inverted slide rails that provide an excellent slide to frame fit. My CZ's have been the definition of reliability, are solid in the hand, have help up with thousands of rounds down the pipe, and are very accurate.

Prices on CZ's are going up and their popularity seems to be on the upswing. Besides, that TS just looks gorgeous; nothing like eye candy:p