shooting costs too much? what does $100.00 buy you today?

Rhodester

Here in Ohio $100 will get you:

About 1400 rounds of .22 LR, or
About 435 rounds of 9 mm, or
About 225 of 45 ACP.

Stuckinthe60s said:
on that note....lets list things that have truly doubled 100%, under biden:
Maybe not doubled, but the cost of living index has been increasing alarmingly under Brandon:

The consumer price index officially increased 4.7% in 2021, 8% in 2022, and so far this year it has increased 1.6% through April of this year. That's an official total of 16%, but for a single guy I have seen my weekly grocery costs go up a lot more than 16%. I don't keep my supermarket receipts, but not long ago a typical trip to the supermarket cost between $40 and $50. Now I rarely walk out without spending $100 or more, and my choices haven't become more extravagant. My salary certainly hasn't increased by 16%, so any increases in my cost of living come directly out of my pocket.

The total increase under 4 years of Trump was 7.63 percent, which is an average of 1.91% per year. We are on track to exceed 20% by the end of Brandon's term.

tangolima

All discussions must be firearms related, no?

When certain thing costs more, we tend to use less, or to find alternatives. Gasoline is expensive. But I don't see any noticable difference in people's driving habits. They still drive as much and as fast as before. I have a coworker who doesn't want to be sent to work in camp Pendleton, because of the strict speed limit on base. He has to drive fast. Certainly he complains about the gas price. But to me (forgive me for saying that) it isn't expensive enough.

Same principle applies to shooting. If we just complain but don't change what we do, is it really that expensive? Is going to matches out of town that important? I'm known to be cheap. People make fun of me for that, because of things I do and don't do.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

stuckinthe60s

all inputs are going towards why shooters don't go shooting, therefore its all gun related.
people say they cant afford to travel and pay for ammo or entry fees.

so, the goal of the topic is to learn WHY people cant shoot as much.

Recycled bullet

A $75 box of 357 magnum ammo cost way too much... so I spent $1,000's buying and reading books, getting molds and learning how to use them, buying bottles of propane and burners, leather gloves, dies and tool sets, trimmers, deburrers, primers, gunpowder, lead, brass.

As it stands now I shoot 357 Magnum for the same price as CCI minimags 22lr.

And now I can shoot something that cannot be bought in the satisfaction is that I made it with my own hand.

Don P

Looking at cost today, the best I have been able to find price wise for primers is .10 per primer, add .07-.09 per bullet and .03-.05 for powder has made me look at factory ammo as there is a local store selling 115 grain full metal jacket 9mm for 12.99 a box of 50. Cheaper than reloading

Stuckinthe60s said:
people say they cant afford to travel and pay for ammo or entry fees.

so, the goal of the topic is to learn WHY people cant shoot as much.
The first sentence above answers the question in the second sentence.

It's very simple -- the cost of living is rising faster than income is rising, which means people have less disposable income. That's your answer.

Paul B.

Some of us just do not have the time. Since my car wreck in January 2020 I spend more time going to and from plus staying in doctor's office than any other pursuit. :mad: before the wreck I averaged two to three days a week at the range, especially just before hunting season. For two years after the wreck, my doctor forbad me from shooting rifles, even the lowly .22LR. Handguns were OK but they're not my favorite type of shooting. Between gas prices, the range is 52 miles round trip, four doctor's offices on 32 miles one way not to mention going there three times a week for chemo plus the co-pay and being sick with the runs the rest of the time, going shooting was no longer an option. To put it as simply as possible, sometimes, life gets in the way. Talk about withdrawal pains, I'm feelin' hem.
Paul B.

stuckinthe60s

taylorce1 made a very interesting point.
w/o income, many resort to credit. and it would appear a lot are in the act of trying to dig their way out of debt.

tangolima

Don't know about .357 magnum. But I bought a box of .44 magnum 5 years ago to zero customer's lever action. It cost a dollar a round. I'm in California.

Paul B. I also went through chemo during pandemic. Side effects knocked the wind out of me when it peaked. I couldn't go to the range. But to keep my mind focused and as physical workout, I set up target in my backyard to teach myself slingshot. I have easily shot over 30k clay balls. Courage brother!

Things are more expensive. I shoot less but more focused. Make every round count, and cut back on luxuries that I can't afford. Each trip to the range, I limit 20 rounds for each gun, and each round is for achieving something, instead of for fun.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

taylorce1

taylorce1 made a very interesting point.
w/o income, many resort to credit. and it would appear a lot are in the act of trying to dig their way out of debt.

People do need to dig out of debt. My wife and I did most of it before 2020. It was very painful, but worth it. Now all we owe is $40K on our house, and it'll be paid off in 5 years.

Not having a payments on debt, frees up a lot of money. It allows you to do things more freely and easily. If I need something I buy it with cash, if I can't afford it I wait.

online olympian

I agree that nowadays everything is expensive, but I try to find through online stores for deals or discounts. I got my 9mm ammo from the LAX Ammunition store. I get 500 Rounds for 117$ ~ 0.2$ each.

Plus, I always search on dontpayfull.com for a deal or a discount code. This time, I used the code GARANDTHUMB, which got me 5% off. Might help you to save some money.

Last edited:

DaleA

Maybe things are improving.
My friend with the 50 round 5.7x28 Kel-Tec P50 pistol says we should take it out shooting again as he recently got a deal on the ammo. $70 for 150 round bulk pack of Fiocchi.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/fiocchi-5-7x28mm-40gr-ammo-150rds-57fmj40.html

If you read about my last adventure with him and this gun you would quite rightly suspect him of asking me along just to get me to load those 50 round magazines. He says they've gotten easier to load with use and appreciates the advice/tricks some of the folk here provided. We'll see.

jmr40

Need to approach this from another angle. How much $100 buys today vs
20, 30 or 50 years ago is irrelevant. How many hours you have to work to pay for the same item today vs 20, 30, or 50 years ago is a better gauge.

In 1975 I was a 17 year old kid with a minimum wage job. I had to work 92 hours to pay for a Remington 700 ADL. ($175 @ $1.90/hour) A kid today would have to work 75 hours at a minimum wage job to pay for a Remington 700 ADL. ($550 @ $7.25/hour).

If you take the same approach for gas, food or anything else prices are pretty stable and often cheaper. The median income for a family in 1975 was $6000. In 2022 it was $46,000.

One hour of minimum wages in 1975 would buy you about 2 gallons of gas or a burger, fries and a drink at McDonalds. Today 1 hour of minimum wages will buy you about 2 gallons of gas or a burger, fries and a drink at McDonalds. And since cars today typically get almost double the fuel mileage, we are only spending about 1/2 as much on gas.

My 1975 truck got 8 mpg city, 11 mpg highway. My current truck gets 16 mpg city, 20 mpg highway. And I'm making a LOT more than minimum wage now.

stagpanther

Large rifle primers are still being blockaded/hoarded in the US (they seem to be widely available outside the US). A large part of my collection will become useless sooner or later.

Wag

Need to approach this from another angle. How much $100 buys today vs
20, 30 or 50 years ago is irrelevant. How many hours you have to work to pay for the same item today vs 20, 30, or 50 years ago is a better gauge.

In 1975 I was a 17 year old kid with a minimum wage job. I had to work 92 hours to pay for a Remington 700 ADL. ($175 @ $1.90/hour) A kid today would have to work 75 hours at a minimum wage job to pay for a Remington 700 ADL. ($550 @ $7.25/hour).

If you take the same approach for gas, food or anything else prices are pretty stable and often cheaper. The median income for a family in 1975 was $6000. In 2022 it was $46,000.

One hour of minimum wages in 1975 would buy you about 2 gallons of gas or a burger, fries and a drink at McDonalds. Today 1 hour of minimum wages will buy you about 2 gallons of gas or a burger, fries and a drink at McDonalds. And since cars today typically get almost double the fuel mileage, we are only spending about 1/2 as much on gas.

My 1975 truck got 8 mpg city, 11 mpg highway. My current truck gets 16 mpg city, 20 mpg highway. And I'm making a LOT more than minimum wage now.

Ya beat me to it. It's a question of time.

If you make $20/hr and you pay $1 per round of 30-30 ammo, you have to work for an hour to buy a whole box.

--Wag--