Seized by the Manchester, New Hampshire PD for Open Carry

Status
Not open for further replies.

12-34hom

Mr.BluesMan; My inference as to the Staging, was his airing this incident on the internet.

I have never claimed that it was Mvpels intention to "get the attention of the police" by advertising that he was carrying a weapon CCW.

So you give me a break, and you can supersize that... :barf:

12-34hom.

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
12-34hom said:
My inference as to the Staging, was his airing this incident on the internet.
Well then... I misunderstood what you meant. Thanks for the clarification. I'm sorry for my surly words.

So... It is your opinion that he should have just kept quiet about the blatant abuse of authority to which he was subjected. Is this correct?

-Dave

12-34hom

Ccw

Dave, That's the way i would have handled it.

That said; Mvpel was well within his rights to do what he did. It just rubbed me the wrong way. It seemed to me that alliterative motives were in play airing this "unfortunate incident" on the net. But like it or not - that's the path Mvpel chose, hopefully we all learned something from what happened to him and apply that to our actions while carrying CCW in whatever jurisdiction we reside in.

Respectfully - 12-34hom.

paratrooper

Just keeping quiet about it was an option . BUT when you factor in the fact that guys in prison have brought lawsuits for having been given chunky peanut butter instead of the requested smooth you gotta think . Help me out here . Which Ammendment covers peanut butter ????

FrankDrebin

...what the hell does alliterative mean?

A person who uses a lot of words in a sentence that all begin with the same letter...."The guy who composed that post was particularly alliterative".

Guys who gotta get gobs of guns to feel good and safe are goofy.

Hawgleg44

Well, I just spent a little time reading every post here, and to tell you the truth, I'm a little surprised for a few reasons:

1-With the anti-gun sentiment out there, which you will NEVER change in some people, why give them something to complain about. You know that the anti's have many friends in the media that can cause problems. If you want to carry, like I do EVERYWHERE I can legally, do it concealed. I agree with Mas about not "spooking the horses". If someone that is really not a gun person, but is on-the-fence on the issue of CCW, seeing someone packing in B&N openly won't help win friends.

2-Many mistakes were made here. Openly carrying SOB (or anywhere for that matter) while in a state of being comletely oblivious of your surroundings, can allow anyone motivated enough to just walk up and disarm you (kind of like what the officers did). And, if a criminal did walk in and robbed the place, guess who's going to catch the first bullet because they're the threat. The person who is paying attention to nothing but the book they are looking at while having a gun out in the open! I know the tactical aspect of this has been addressed, but I just had to chime in again.

3-The officers' response. Sounds a little overboard, but I can see two or three units responding to a call like this. I don't see any parrallel to the case mentioned above. I know that an anonomous tip of someone carrying a gun cannot warrant a Terry Stop, but when a tip is received and an officer can plainly see a handgun, there's no need for a Terry Frisk, he can already see it! Maybe a lawyer can justify that arguement, but I think it would be taken out of context. Imagine the civil liability if they received the tip, didn't respond, and some moron started opening up in the store. You can't blame them for responding. Would I have handled it differently, no. You would have been put up against the case with me holding on to your handgun and shoulder. When I found out that you were legal, I would not lecture you on why you need a handgun. IMO, an armed citizen is an important asset to law enforcement as a whole, but I do not agree with open carry at all. I don't agree with a law making it illegal, but I certainly don't promote it. IMO, it's kind of like helmet laws for motorcycles. I don't agree with a law making you wear one, but I think you're an idiot if you don't.

Here in MA, back when I got my first CCW in the early 90's, you could get them when you were 18 years old. I took after my father and have been carrying just about every day since I got my license. And, I have NEVER carried openly. Not because MA law is ever changing and it's legal one minute and not another, but for the reason I stated above. I want to be the one knowing I'm packing, not anyone else.

As for an alterior motive here, I completely believe that he didn't want to start something. But, you can't tell me that it never went through his mind that someone would see his Glock and not like it. I know it's kind of like making a statement about gun rights, but we all have to be responsible. Causing histeria among people that know nothing about guns does not help us when votes are being made about more restrictions. I know many here are rallying behind him standing up and making a pro-second ammendment statement, but for the most part, more harm was done than good IMO.

As a MA resident with a NH CCW license, I carry all the time when I go into the state. Concealed, that is. And, since it's obvious I'm in law enforcement, I know some will jump to conclusions that I'm a little biased. Nope, not at all. I felt the same before I was in law enforcement, and I'll feel the same after I'm out of it.

OK, it's time to open up on me now since I'm the only person who isn't strapping on my handgun and going around parading in public to show support. I agree that the charges were completely out of line. But, as many have stated above, keep it concealed.

Hawgleg-
Degrees of Freedom....that's what this is about.

Someday, very soon, your kids may feel intimidated about uttering a perfectly legal phrase due to the possibility of being detained, questioned and, perhaps, harrassed by local Law Enforcement.

Why?
Their words, while perfectly legal, would be not quite politically correct.

I look forward to your critique of your youngest's action, when he/she dares to break that unspoken barrier.

This nation has moved away from the concept of "criminal" in third party actions and embraced the concept of "suspicious". Think you and I define that term on a day to day basis? Grab your "papers" and stand in Line C. Then, Think Again.

ANY bureaucracy will gladly make you just as "safe" as you demand. How "safe" do you want to be?
Rich

Hawgleg44

I see your point about "degrees of freedom", but think about it for a second. If you are causing people that don't have a definate opinion on CCW, or any types of firearms for that matter, to form a negative opinion due to you openly carrying a handgun, how long do you think that freedom will last?

Like I said in my original post, I practice my freedom and right to carry a handgun every day. People that don't understand the need for carrying a handgun (they are already living in their own "perfect world" if they think someone else will protect them anyway) will see open carry in most areas as irresponsible. That is definately not the image all of us legal gun owners need in this politically uncertain climate.

If I could have it my way, I would carry a carbine when I went out, and would hope that all other law abiding people would, too. But, this country is no longer like that. If you start sticking our gun rights in people's faces, it WILL come back to bite us. Open carry began to decline in larger cities before the turn of the last century, as people began carrying concealed. It's an idea we are stuck with.

If you think that a large protest of openly armed citizens to "support" this issue is a good thing, think again. When the media got a hold of it, and you know they would, they would be flashing images nationwide with a very biased report that would make all legal gun owners out to be some sort of radical terrorist group. That would help push legislation through that would make the "Crime Bill" look mild.

If we don't act responsibly, we are destroying our own freedoms, not practicing and preserving "degrees of freedom".

gyp_c2

hello...

ANY bureaucracy will gladly make you just as "safe" as you demand. How "safe" do you want to be?

...absoLUTELY right!

Ironic that those "kept safe" by the state are just prisoners in "safe houses" or have to disappear, change their names and hide in fear for the rest of their lives...

asses, armed with AR's, alert and anticipating an ambush?

... :barf:

Hawglegg44, I see one major flaw in your line of thinking. The people calling the cops on open carry aren't doing it becuse they think someone is acting "irresponsible".

They do it because they are scared, and don't know any better.

How plausible it is to reverse this state of affairs now is a point I will concede to you; in SOME jurisdictions. But I think the argument is, if it WAS commonplace, and people could see no "mayhem" was occurring, they wouldn't be scared about it. At least that's how I see it.

Nobody's calling the cops around here in Arizona ;)

westex

I carry concealed everyday. I never carry "open" 'cause it's not legal. If it was legal to "open carry" I would carry concealed about 90% of the time but there are occasions when I would carry "open" for various reasone. I doubt anyone would raise an eyebrow around here if everyone was packing "open". Just today at lunch at a local BBQ joint I saw 3 guys carrying "open". I presume they were LEOs of some flavor but who knew and no one seemed to care or ran to the phone. Around here you see this all the time.

I guess it depends on where you live in this free country. I like where I live.

12-34hom

You get what you pay for.

Bluesman, that was what i meant to say, i can't spell worth a damm... :(

44, great posts - welcome to TFL.

12-34hom.

If you are causing people that don't have a definate opinion on CCW, or any types of firearms for that matter, to form a negative opinion due to you openly carrying a handgun, how long do you think that freedom will last?

Of course, if those "in charge" were to respond appropriately, "opinions" would quickly change:
"I see, Ma-am. He had a holstered firearm? He was browsing books with his wife? Well, we'll send some one over to check it out, but a holstered firearm is your right in this state. He's probably perfectly legal. Would you like us to call you back once the officers report?"

The problem isn't that guns scare people....you don't see the masses running from armed cops. The problem is that the "unusual" frightens people. If the cops in that jurisdiction would allow open carry to be as common as it is in many places in Arizona, you'd win a whole lot more converts than with all the "never been seen in public" CCW carries in the world.
Rich

Hawgleg44

Arizona- I agree. Like I said in my post, "most areas".

As I also said before, I wish carrying open was not as socially unacceptable in most areas like it is. If everyone, or most people, were carrying openly, we'd see a dramatic reduction in crime. Unfortunately, as this country becomes more "civilized" (if you want to call it that), the chances of people openly carrying gets smaller every day.

I'm not saying that we should hide our support for gun rights, in fact, just the opposite of that. But, we have to do it in ways that will promote our cause. If you live in an area where open carry is widely accepted, great. If you don't, you are hurting more than helping.

12-34hom- I definately feel more welcome here than I thought I would after my first post in this thread!

Handy

If more people were carrying openly we'd see alot more personal guns being turned on civilians.

Regular holsters are fine if no one knows you're carrying, or at least how you're carrying. But uniform police use retention holsters for a reason. If you want to open carry you best be ready to wear the same. If not you are just a public liability.

FrankDrebin

If everyone, or most people, were carrying openly, we'd see a dramatic reduction in crime.

I doubt it. A guy who does armed robberies now because he's unemployable and needs to feed his crack habit isn't going to quit and get a job because he's afraid you have the ability to shoot him. He'll either turn to larceny instead of robbery, or just shoot you.

mvpel

If more people were carrying openly we'd see alot more personal guns being turned on civilians.

The vast majority of criminals don't have balls that brassy, I suspect. I was carrying openly in Arizona (since I didn't have an AZ-recognized CCW at the time) while visiting the state, and was walking over to a convenience store in the late evening. A young man was making a beeline for me coming across the street, and I got a bit unnerved and made an unconscious check of my holstered firearm. This apparently drew his attention to my Glock, and he made a sharp turn and went the other direction.

If I'd been concealed, he might have walked up to me, asked me what time it was, then sucker-punched me, forcing me to draw and possibly shoot.

Hawgleg44

Regular holsters are fine if no one knows you're carrying, or at least how you're carrying. But uniform police use retention holsters for a reason. If you want to open carry you best be ready to wear the same. If not you are just a public liability.

Agreed. Anyone who went to a police academy knows about the "fun house". Try walking through there. Even triple retention holsters are still vulnerable when somebody REALLY wants your gun. A great point to bring up is that Safariland is now making a holster modelled after their triple retention 070 for concealed carry in both a belt slide and paddle type. Although I prefer the twist-in to release type, it's not practical if it's a concealable holster since it's already too close to your body.

Again, it just comes down to responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.