Securing Your Gun in a Vehicle

wayneinFL

One of my handguns had been left in the console of my (locked) truck. It was stolen. I've since had my permit suspended and my handguns are now in the county lockup. Suspension SHOULD be over soon, but there's no guarantee on how quickly I will get my guns back.

You had a gun under lock and key. It was taken by criminals. So the cops took the rest of your guns?

Ridiculous.

bird_dog

You had a gun under lock and key. It was taken by criminals. So the cops took the rest of your guns?

Ridiculous.

I don't want to badmouth the authorities involved. The mistake was mine. The police were professional and courteous, but that is the price you pay in this county for not having your firearm either on your person, or in a safe. I haven't enjoyed the process (rather humiliating packing up all my handguns and handing them over to a deputy), I have no carry weapon, despite working in fairly dangerous areas, and I'm not sure I'll have my hunting handguns back in time for November's deer season. I can't say it's been a steep learning curve. As I said before, I knew better but still made the mistake.

wayneinFL

It's not your fault. That could have just as easily happened while you were parked at a post office or courthouse.

Most of the lockboxes I've seen for cars can be defeated just as quickly as a car door. Even a gun "safe" at your house doesn't make much of a difference or the insurance companies would offer a better discount.

TailGator

I slipped, and got nailed by a bad guy, and then had my guns taken away by the good guys.

You are being quite gracious about it. To me, the above statement kind of blurs the line between good guys and bad guys. Both took away property that you legally own. The only difference is that you have a better chance of regaining the property taken by the former than the latter.

Please understand that by saying that I am not criticizing the LEOs who enforced the law, but rather the law they are obligated to enforce. Structuring a law to punish the victims of a crime never seems right to me, but I am just a little simple-minded in that way, I guess.

bird_dog

You are being quite gracious about it. To me, the above statement kind of blurs the line between good guys and bad guys. Both took away property that you legally own. The only difference is that you have a better chance of regaining the property taken by the former than the latter.

Please understand that by saying that I am not criticizing the LEOs who enforced the law, but rather the law they are obligated to enforce. Structuring a law to punish the victims of a crime never seems right to me, but I am just a little simple-minded in that way, I guess.

I am not sure how to respond. Within a month, my suspension will be over and I should get my guns back shortly after that. Yes, the idea that I was the victim of a robbery and of the two people involved (the robber and I), I was the only one to pay a price. He got a gun. I had 7 of them taken away, lost the one that got stolen, and -- at least temporarily -- have lost the ability to protect my family in the way that I am accustomed.

I'm trying really hard not to be bitter, and to toe the line that I've always advocated -- that stupid decisions deserve punishment. I'm taking mine in the way I feel that I should, with a large amount of humility.

There's more involved, but I won't comment on that until my permit is re-instated and my guns are returned. It's been a horrible 5 months.

spacecoast

I rely on my door locks, gun is kept in center console only a lid raise away. Can't see the point of another box with a lock if I need to get to it quickly. Come to think of it, if I need to get to it, I can't imagine not needing it quickly.

cargun2.jpg

cargun1.jpg

Last edited:

Frank Ettin

Administrator
GaryOlson said:
This gagdet looks interesting ....
I would not use that to secure a loaded gun. It looks like one of the securing "fingers" goes in the trigger guard -- a bad idea if the gun is loaded. Before securing a gun in that device the gun should be verified "clear."

wayneinFL

I would not use that to secure a loaded gun. It looks like one of the securing "fingers" goes in the trigger guard -- a bad idea if the gun is loaded. Before securing a gun in that device the gun should be verified "clear."

That's the whole point. You mount it on the wall toward your front door. When someone's breaking down the door and you can't find the key, you simply push it forward and bump-fire it to simulate automatic fire. :p

Better yet, you can mount it on an interior door of your home and use it like a machine gun on a turret. :D

Seriously I hate the idea of trigger locks in general. Any locking mechanism that necessitates putting something inside the trigger guard could be improperly applied and fire a loaded gun. The FFOD locking holsters are another example.

If you really have to lock up a gun in some other method than a safe, the only thing I advocate are action locks- like a cable or padlock to lock the action open.