Securing Your Gun in a Vehicle

Lol. 9mm...believe me. It's fine..that's funny. :D

Marquez, let's be pioneers and make our own. Here here?!

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / Beretta PX4 Storm / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / Kahr CW9 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Android

9mm

Might just buy a $200 mossberg 12g, get a folder stock, some heavy duty chains and a $10-$20 heavy duty lock. I think its a good idea to have a back up gun in the car as they say go to your rifle.

seeker_two

Another vote for the Gunvault Nanovault. In fact, I have two in my vehicle....one for the pistol & 2 extra mags and the other for 100 rds 9mm & extra mags (in case I go to the range afterward).

Only downside to the Nanos is that you're limited in gun size....I can only carry my XD9sc in it. If Gunvault would make a version that's two inches longer & wider and an inch taller, I'd carry a service-sized pistol in there.

Chuckusaret

Constantine - yeah, don't know even know where to start with the rifle set up. I hope my google-fu is up to the task.
I bought a Santa Cruz rifle trunk lock from sirennet.com, rather costly but works good.

Marquezj16

chuck - those are some really nice locks. It gave me some ideas of how I might be able to make my own. Not in a rush to buy one or get one made so I'll be looking and tinkering. Thanks for the input.

FAS1

FAS1 Safe Mustang GT Install

This was sent to me by a customer that wanted something stronger in his vehicle since his gun was stored in there every day while at work. Not accessible from the cabin, but gives him stronger box which is what he was looking for. Was never intended for a vehicle, but I am always reminded that gun owners are a pretty creative bunch.

Chuckusaret

Marquezj16
chuck - those are some really nice locks. It gave me some ideas of how I might be able to make my own. Not in a rush to buy one or get one made so I'll be looking and tinkering. Thanks for the input.

Yes, most of us from the Ms. Gulf Coast are pretty handy, I am from Gulfport. My son made his own locks and they work just as well as my $150 locks. I also have a semilar locking device mounted on the wall next to my bed for my HD shotgun. I unlock it when I hit the rack and lock it when I get up.

I sure hope that the hurricane picks up a more westerly direction and misses Tx., La. and Ms.

Marquezj16

Chuck, over here at Biloxi. Getting ready for Isaac. Hope it weakens and spares the region.

Dude - did you buy it or make it yourself? My truck has that lockable storage as well under the middle seat but it has plastic locks. It hides the lock box well though.

Last edited:

Hog Red

Pro-gard has your rifle and shotgun gun racks. I have one in my backseat for my AR-15, it has an electric switch to unlock. G5000 UT is the one i have

Chuckusaret

Marquezj16
Chuck, over here at Biloxi. Getting ready for Isaac. Hope it weakens and spares the region.
Dude - did you buy it or make it yourself?

I bought the wall mount, it is the same mount that I have in the trunk of my car. I think i paid close to $300 for the two. Hey, I was born in Biloxi. Hopefully the storm just dumps rain on you like it did here, 14" so far.

Marquezj16

Yeah rain without the wind would be ok. Not in flood prone area so it would be okay for us. But a lot of people would have problem with all that rain. Hopefully the storm surge is not bad either.

Hog red - those are some awesome gun racks. Looks expensive.

Last edited:

Marquezj16

I don't keep my pistol in my vehicles overnight. And now with a lock box secured by cables, it should stop any quick grabs when I have it in the vehicle.

Departed402

As a cop...

Getting a vehicle gun safe could be good insurance. That said, I'm a police officer, and on occasion I get called to thefts from vehicles (perps long gone of course). These thefts almost always have these two characteristics in common:

1. The theft occurred at night.
AND
2. The vehicle was left unlocked.

In fact, I'm being generous with the "almost always" because every theft from a vehicle I have investigated has both of these characteristics. Getting a special locking device can't hurt, but for the love of Almighty God, LOCK YOUR DAMN CAR!

upede4ad.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

bird_dog

I didn't really want to discuss this yet since A) it's embarassing and B) the ramifications are not yet complete, but I will summarize:

Last Spring, here in the great state of NY (where getting a pistol permit takes a great deal of time, effort and money), I was in the process of a move between two houses and (if you've been through it, you know) it was a time of great stress. One of the nights shortly after taking load after load in my pickup, I collapsed in bed, exhausted.

One of my handguns had been left in the console of my (locked) truck. It was stolen. I've since had my permit suspended and my handguns are now in the county lockup. Suspension SHOULD be over soon, but there's no guarantee on how quickly I will get my guns back.

I made a mistake. You don't need to tell me. I know better, and I knew better at the time. I slipped, and got nailed by a bad guy, and then had my guns taken away by the good guys.

I'm contributing to this thread in the hopes that you all take the prospect of leaving a firearm in your car very seriously. Take it from a guy who hasn't shot his handguns in five months.