SCCY 9MM

Bill DeShivs

I handled an early Sccy, and was not at all impressed. Choices are good, and the Keltec designs are good. Sccy and Ruger have copied them.

huskybiker

They are blatant copies of the Keltec P11. Why not just get the original?

I agree they are very similar to the P-11 (I've owned 3). However, I find the trigger pull to be lighter and the fit and finish to be better. I bought one for my daughter last year, and I wouldn't hesitate to carry one if that's what I could afford.

Ibmikey

I have owned several kel tech's, still have an OD one around somewhere, they fired when asked to fire and were nothing to brag about construction and appearance wise. My SCCY is also totally reliable and a bit better in the finish dept. Point is they both work and I have little care that one imitates the other as reliability under stress circumstances is my only concern with this type of pistol.

Son of Liberty

I bought a SCCY for my wife, but it turned out to be unusable for her for two reasons:

1. She couldn't jack the slide due to arthritis in her hands.

2. She couldn't get used to the trigger reset which made follow-up shots unreliable for her.

I got her a wheel gun and kept the SCCY for my own concealed carry use for a while. While I had no problems with the trigger reset when using it myself, I went ahead and snipped the trigger return spring a bit to tighten up the reset before I ultimately traded it for something (I can't even remember what).

Doyle

While I had no problems with the trigger reset when using it myself, I went ahead and snipped the trigger return spring a bit to tighten up the reset

There is a video on youtube showing how to turn the trigger return spring 180 degrees to give it more pre-tensioning. Helps the trigger spring forward better.

Trooper Joe

Limnophile

Of course they are! Blatant copies. Care to prove otherwise?

You made the assertion. The burden is on you to prove your point.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Limnophile; March 14, 2015 at 11:49 PM.
Limnophile is offline Report Post

Thanks for this reply Limnophile. I don't even try to argue with these guys who feel the SCCY-2 is a copy of the KelTec.

Oh Well, maybe when I get to the 7,000 plus post level, I can have an opinion also. :confused:

Bill DeShivs

Since this was obviously directed at me, here's my response:
Of course you can have an opinion, even if it's wrong. I don't own a Sccy to directly compare to my Keltec, but it's common knowledge that the Sccy was a copy, clone, rip-off, whatever of the Keltec P11. I believe the owner of Sccy is a former Keltec employee, but it's not worth my time to research that. I do know that the early Skky (the earlier spelling before they were sued) was a trashy piece, as I personally examined one of them. Later models may be better.
I have quite a bit of experience with guns. Why would I waste my time telling you things that are not so?

Shadi Khalil

I think the Ruger and Sccy copied the Kel Tecs as well. However, putting the Ruger or Sccy next to the Kel Tec makes clear that the formers have the edge on fit and finish. As far as I know, there are no recommended "fluff and buffs" for the Sccy and Ruger. Being able to shoot a gun right out of the box and not having to undertake any kind of kitchen gunsmithing is a big improvement on the original design, IMO

skizzums

^^lol....whatever.......worst gun I have ever owned out of dozens. and their was nothing on the kitchen table that was ever going to make it better. if the factory couldn't "buff" it, then I surely couldn't have. I don't find the kel-tec to be an exrememly reliable piece either, I don't have experience with the ruger, but the sccy was absolutely terrible.

skizzums

well, lets see, I said I don't think the kel-tec is super reliable either, so you can intelligently deduct that from the list. I said I have no experience with the ruger, so......and apparently you didn't see the ENTIRE page of text I wrote about the sccy on the previous page, geez. sorry for not being clearer

stagpanther

Two days ago when I bought my new ruger lc9s pro I also took a very close look at the latest generation sccy. It looks like a great, well-made gun at it's price point, though not as streamlined for a conceal as the ruger. The deal killer for me was the $100 difference in price considering how much better the ruger's trigger is. Because of the ergonomics of the grip and "reachiness" to the trigger and hard, long travel and break I specifically asked about the aftermarket parts for modifying the sccy and was told that there really isn't much of one--yet.

If there was an easy way to modify the sccy's trigger and reliably shoot all kinds of ammo--I would definitely consider buying one of these.

Last edited:

Trooper Joe

Unread March 20, 2015, 04:07 PM #27
Bill DeShivs

Posts: 7,404 Since this was obviously directed at me, here's my response:
Of course you can have an opinion, even if it's wrong. I don't own a Sccy to directly compare to my Keltec, but it's common knowledge that the Sccy was a copy, clone, rip-off, whatever of the Keltec P11. I believe the owner of Sccy is a former Keltec employee, but it's not worth my time to research that. I do know that the early Skky (the earlier spelling before they were sued) was a trashy piece, as I personally examined one of them. Later models may be better.
I have quite a bit of experience with guns. Why would I waste my time telling you things that are not so?

Bill,

In fairness, I must admit that I have had a KelTec P-32, for about 8 years and it has been flawless. I have their "rimlock" eliminator kit installed in two of my magazines and carry Buffalo Bore hard cast 32 ACP in it (I can't even shoot a magazine full of these in my Seecamp because it hurts too much, the KelTec feel great with this load).

I also had a great two tone, PF9 several years ago that most of my cop buddies thought was some kind of a Glock they hadn't heard about. One of those guys talked me out of it eventually.

My experience with my second generation (current) SCCY is sort of funny. I had noticed them at my dealer several times and finally thought, I would like to try one out. My dealer told me he would sell me one but I would have to deal directly with UPS when I had trouble with it. I guess the first editions of this gun were really junk.

So, I started to shoot it waiting for it to break or malfunction, and it never did. Like said, after I went through the factory last year, I was really a believer. They said that the KelTec relationship rumor was just a rumor. The owner of SCCY was actually in the medical instrument business. He was sort of hands off during the first edition. He saw what was going on, revamped the company, and told his employees they were going to improve or close their doors.

I have other neat guns, but I probably will never sell the SCCY (primarily because I had a chance to go through the factory/they are really great people).

(By the way, I called my dealer back in Michigan after I went through the SCCY factory. I had also kept in appraised of my shooting experience I had with the gun for the last several months prior to that. He immediately got ahold of SCCY and became a "Master Dealer" whatever that means.)

Thanks,

Trooper Joe

ronl

Bought a CPX-2 a few weeks ago because I wanted a reliable back-up pistol. I am really impressed with the little piece. I can't really complain about it at all. The trigger is smooth and with a little dry fire practice I was able to produce some really decent groups with it. Much better than I was expecting. The fit and finish are very good, especially considering the price. My only complaint was that the edge of the trigger was too sharp, but a few minutes with the dremel and some fine sandpaper fixed the problem for me. As to reliability, I'll let you know in a year, but so far, so good.

indie_rocker

I broke the ejector on mine yesterday. I have no doubt that customer service will take care of me. I was going to ask them to just send me the part and install it myself but after giving it some thought, I would rather have them look the pistol over to make sure the broken piece didn't cause any damage to other areas.

Here's what happened:
I was testing some +p ammo, 25 rounds of Winchester PDX1 124gr. +P and 25 rounds of Hornadys 135gr. +P Critical Duty. I also ran 50 rounds of 124gr. Blazer Brass between the high pressure loads. The Hornady gave me tighter groups. I'm not sure when the extractor broke, I was having some ejection/extraction problems periodically but attributed it to the stiffer loads. Long story short, I'll stick with standard pressure stuff for the CPX-2.

TheTurtle101

I really wanted to like mine. Looooonnnnggg trigger reset. Almost an unsafe issue. Recoil hurt me, and I shoot magnum calibers all day. Dao trigger was sloppy too. I didn't complain for the $50 I paid for it.