S&W AR

stagpanther

Yeah me when the battery died at the range . That was before the 50k hour red dots .
I have BUIS on all my rifles that allow for it . It's one of those things , better to have and not need then to ....
I used to put them on all my AR's too. Then one day I actually used them when my red dot went down--wasn't even close to POA even though I had carefully zeroed it when I installed it. Just my armchair opinion, but if it's not metal and up full-time cowitnessed with your optic--it' a toss of the dice (with bad odds) if you need to fail-over immediately with reasonable accuracy. An independently sighted off-set optic is something else altogether.

Hawg

I used to put them on all my AR's too. Then one day I actually used them when my red dot went down--wasn't even close to POA even though I had carefully zeroed it when I installed it. Just my armchair opinion, but if it's not metal and up full-time cowitnessed with your optic--it' a toss of the dice (with bad odds) if you need to fail-over immediately with reasonable accuracy. An independently sighted off-set optic is something else altogether.
Mine came with a standard AR front sight and a Magpul flip up rear. I sighted in the irons with the red dot installed but turned off. I did not go back and try the irons again after that. I will have to see where it hits with the irons the next time I take it out. It may be that adjusting the red dot makes the irons off but frankly even if it does I don't see how sighting through the red dot would make them off if they were sighted in through the red dot after the red dot was sighted in. I may be entirely off base here but I'll find out.

stagpanther

I tried it numerous times--just shut the redot down and flip up the little plastic dingy (keep in mind, I didn't check it every single time I went shooting) and if you get right on target--more power to you, never worked well for me until I switched to fixed metal front and rear with real windage/elevation adjustments. When the red dot goes down, say while hunting--or the zombie who broke into your house is aiming his Glock at you--I think it's important to be able to seamlessly switch sighting through with the optic still on. I found that to be far more challenging in practice than it was in advertising theory.

Metal god

Stag said:
I used to put them on all my AR's too. Then one day I actually used them when my red dot went down--wasn't even close to POA even though I had carefully zeroed it when I installed it. Just my armchair opinion, but if it's not metal and up full-time cowitnessed with your optic--it' a toss of the dice (with bad odds) if you need to fail-over immediately with reasonable accuracy.

I can't say I've not found that to be true as well but I can't say the BUIS weren't still "reasonably" accurate . I'll admit that at times when I've went to my irons the POI was not what I remembered but they were still with in reason . I also can't say for sure if I was using the same ammo I used to sight in . I generally have one specific hand load I use for a specific rifle . Meaning I have a 69gr smk using AR-comp that I sighted in my 18" rifle while I use a 55g FMJ to sight in my 16" rifles while even another 77gr smk to sight in my NM rifle . While they all shoot those loads pretty well none of those rifles shoot the other rounds to the same POI as the ammo I sighted them in with or factory ammo for that matter . So if I were to flip up the BUIS and shoot some of those different rounds the irons would appear to have lost there zero but would still be WAY better then not having any sights at all . So I'm still in the camp of better to have them then not .

stagpanther

So I'm still in the camp of better to have them then not .
I'm all for having them too--but just my experience--the winky-dink plastic fold downs are significantly less accurate than a good metal set up full time. My line of reasoning is if it's crucial enough to have them for quick fail-over--might as well have a good set-up. No biggie, maybe I'm just not skilled enough to use the plastic pop-up tabs--they could be useful as miniature catapults.:D:D

gaseousclay

I’ve been slowly upgrading my S&W over the last month. So far I’ve got a Daniel Defense buttstock, Magpul MOE K2+ grip, Vickers sling and I just ordered a Midwest Industries drop in m lok hand guard. On top of that I bought some more pmags, delta ring tool and some more ammo.

My next purchase will likely be a red dot, although I like some of the EOTECH sites (minus the crappy battery life)