S&W AR

Hawg

Your reddot mount might have it's height adjusted to cowitness with a front barrel site post.

Does anyone know anyone who actually switched to the BUIS mounted as back up to a scope when out shooting or hunting? I used to mount them but then ditched them altogether on a scoped AR.

You might want to see if you can scooch your scope forward a bit to clear the charging handle better (you'll need a cantilevered mount or ring).

The dot is about 1/4 inch above the front sight post. It came with a lower mount but I think it's too low to use on an AR.

I may never use the irons but since they don't interfere with anything they're there if I need them.

The scope really doesn't interfere with the charging handle and I have good eye relief where it is. I'll mostly just use the red dot but if I want to touch something way out there I'll use the scope.

GarandTd

I have a fixed 4x scope with QD rings for my AR, but I recently put a 2moa red dot on it and can shoot as well with the red dot as I could with the scope, even with zero magnification. I was quite surprised. I don't see myself putting the scope back on. With the red dot, I can consistently hit a pop can at 100yds and I don't think I could ask for much more.

My M&P AR was bought new retail in 2015.

It ran perfectly with all 500 or so rounds. All ammo was Wolf.
The mags were original OEM which came with the gun.

cw308

Great deal , finding ammo for the AR in 223/5.56 is hard now , I had to purchase 1000 all others were back ordered or sold out . My AR was in the safe for 30+ years , it's like brand new . My son took an interest back then in shooting . I was very familiar with the weapon , carry handle , peep sights and 20 round mags. You should set up the peep with the mechanical zero at 25 yards , bottom rear sight and work off the front sight adjustment. 25 to 300 yards with that setup all shots will be in your wheel house . I use a CT Laser grips on my carry . Good luck with your AR and stock up on ammo if you can get it .

Hawg

Good luck with your AR and stock up on ammo if you can get it

Thanks, yeah it's hard to find online. Local gun shop has plenty of the Norma tactical but it's 12.95 per 20 rounds.

Pahoo

Good call

Can you shoot a PRB in it?? If not, that's okay and looks like Ya got it covered, from stem to stern. Ammo is still readily available around here. Great choice and enjoy. I am in the same boat with you .... :)

Be Safe !!!

cw308

H
I ordered from Target Sports.com , I was lucky to get the thousand lot 223 55gr. FMJ's order in quantity if you can , you'll want to shoot that bad boy alot . Try not to have up the barrel to much , heating up a barrel does the most damage . Run the bolt and carrier , clean and wet ( oiled ) . I wouldn't be here if I didn't do that . Be Safe.

Chris

Metal god

Does anyone know anyone who actually switched to the BUIS mounted as back up to a scope when out shooting or hunting? I used to mount them but then ditched them altogether on a scoped AR.

Yeah me when the battery died at the range . That was before the 50k hour red dots .
I have BUIS on all my rifles that allow for it . It's one of those things , better to have and not need then to ....

I have 45 degree offset backups for really close shots (a rare occurrence, but they have accounted for three I wouldn't have been fast enough for otherwise). I never understood how you were supposed to get the scope out of the way if it failed in a pinch, so offset backups make the most sense to me.

Agreed-ish , I just used my flip up sights through my dead red dot and it worked fine . I will be adding 45* offset sights on my 1x6 and my 3x fixed though because you can't really look through those clearly if they fail .

I haven't bought the fixed 3x but that's going on my PA-10 . Looking at the primary arms 3x prism scope
https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-slx-3x32mm-gen-iii-prism-scope-with-acss-556-cqb-m2-reticle

cw308

Hawg
You have to check every day , check the box only in stock to save time. Now anything under 50¢ is good. Good luck.

gaseousclay

I picked one of these up the other day. I’m normally a wood stock/hunting rifle fan but given the recent civil unrest I decided to buy this ar as well as order a S&W m&p handgun. My local sporting goods store had tons of the S&W in stock as well as the Ruger ar 556. It will likely be awhile before I can use it though because I still need ammo and need to take a safety course specifically for the ar

Hawg

Congrats!!! I'm happy with mine. I finally got to get out and shoot it last week and it is awesome. It was too hot to stay out for long but I burned through a couple of mags. A lot of videos on it. Take down is pretty simple. I watched a couple of videos on it before I attempted it but after doing it a couple of times it's very easy. Accuracy is a lot better than I expected. I didn't get to shoot past 50 yards but it made hole touching groups. One of the best add ons you can get is a red dot. You can still use the iron sights with it installed.

44 AMP

Staff
Something you might want to check on before you order another upper in a different caliber from someone else is, will it fit your S&W??

Some of the parts might not fit. I don't have any personal experience with the S&W AR rifles, but I do have some with a S&W 1911 model. On that gun, magazines and MOST of the GI spec parts will fit and work, but not grips.

GI, Colt, and commercial grips made for the 1911A1 will not fit on the S&W. S&W spaces the grip screws just a tiny bit further apart than the standard 1911 specs, the result of which is only grips made for the S&W 1911 will fit.

IF (and I say IF because i don't know) S&W spaces the take down pins just a few thousandths different from everyone else, so that only S&W uppers fit, I'd say that is something worth knowing before you buy an aftermarket upper.

gaseousclay

@Hawg

Glad you’re pleased with yours. I’m anxious to try mine out as well as upgrade the furniture, but that’ll have to wait a little while longer. Forgot how costly guns are ??????

Timeless

I picked up a Sport II OR model about 3 weeks ago.

I was also not that interested in the AR platform but in these times figured it might be a good idea. Now I'm going through the usual new AR owner thoughts of upgrades already...lol.

Not sure how much I like the red dot that came with this but am going to try it out and see. Also would love some backup sights so am going to try out the off-center option.

Fun platform!

Hawg

I picked up a Sport II OR model about 3 weeks ago.

I was also not that interested in the AR platform but in these times figured it might be a good idea. Now I'm going through the usual new AR owner thoughts of upgrades already...lol.

Not sure how much I like the red dot that came with this but am going to try it out and see. Also would love some backup sights so am going to try out the off-center option.

Fun platform!
I looked at one that came with a red dot as the only sights. The red dot was Crimson Trace which seems to be a decent one. I opted for one that came with iron sights and put a Holosun on it for about half what a CT costs. You don't have to mount it offset. You can see the iron sights through it just fine. I'm pretty much happy with the furniture it came with. I would like to get a hand guard with a heat shield at some point tho.

44 AMP I found this on the S&W site. • Compatible with most standard AR15 components and accessories. https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-sport-ii